World of Warcraft, Addiction and a psychiatrist.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Klingy, Jun 20, 2007.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

everybody loves a little dash of escapism,

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pinkiss Registered Senior Member

I used to play game called Lineage2 which is same as wow,and got many of my friends addicted to the game,but thing is i was 16~17years then and i still sometimes play this game,but as years pass i dont find it soo fun to play and things like job,friends pull you away from it.The worst thing is now that i cant play something more than 20min and it gets boring,as feeling that i have to do much more than to play a game makes everything more complicated because life is not just playing a game.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i actualy view life exactly like playing a game,

peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

Klingy has your mum i urge you to take it slower on the game, you know we ahve talked about this in great detail and being on the same thing every day isn't helping you, the DR was quite right to say what he did!!

8. FreeThinkers Registered Senior Member

WOW, this World of Warcraft game must be really good. I've never heard of it, I don't know anyone who plays it...

9. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

then perhaps you should come out of your box every now and then, WOW is addictive and can lead to difficulties with family, and work and school!

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yes he does!! ( i am his mum and if anyone knows then its me) he will somtimes play until 2 in the morning and then say he is to sick for school and if he stays home he will play the game then aswell, i am at work all day so i cant watch every step he does.

11. Bells Staff Member

Why don't you just cancel his prescription?

Stop paying for it if you are the one who pays. Delete it from his computer and take away the disks so he can't reload them again.

There are a lot of things you can do to stop him from playing.

12. noreallyiamagirl Registered Member

Video game addiction is only harmful if it negatively affects functioning in other areas of the addict's life. If it helps an individual learn how to communicate with others more effectively and this person manages to hold a job and pay taxes, then their addiction actually benefits the greater good of mankind.

Likewise, I'd rather that a violent alcoholic be allowed solitude and free booze over having him/her driving or creating a public menace. Perhaps free accommodations in the Ozarks with an endless supply of moonshine.....

That said, WoW is just a much better version of D&D that will explode in popularity for a while and have a core of lifetime die hard addicts. Like D&D, however, the average gamer will play less or not at all when full-time jobs and significant others enter the fray.

The "addiction" tag is actually a great way to market a product or service. "It's so good, you'll feel like a crackhead" is a slogan just around the corner, I suspect.

13. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

that slogan is already here i'm affraid!

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yes. It can most definetely become an addiction.
    Even sciforums can become an addiction.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It has the elements of addiction. You use it right when you wake up, you get depressed without it, it interferes with your whole life, lose friends over it, lose health... blha blah blah..... :shrug:

15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yes it can been a addiction, when you think of nothing else your school work suffers, your home life suffers, your personal life suffers. so yeah it is an addiction. when you want to stay home and miss important exams to play the game yes an addiction

16. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Erm, hate to break it to you but the vast majority of kids don't like school, especially the parts involving exams and homework, they'll take any excuse to get out of it, that wouldn't make it an addiction.

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

well i know the kids hate school, what with the discapline. but it has becomme an adiction to him

18. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Yes, school stifles creativity and imagination so kids prefer a world where they can find it.
    If you're refering to an individual then he may well be addicted, although not wanting to take exams isn't good reasoning for the basis of that belief. The most important question is do they have other things they WANT to do but won't when presented with the opportunity? It could always just be laziness and that it's easier than doing something else. Offer to throw him a party and see what he says.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!