World Cup

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by rob k, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

That is your opinion, to me the french deserved the title too. The French had to beat Spain, Brazil(defending champs), and Portugal to get to the final. The Italians had to play Australia, Ukraine, and Germany. The french were just as entertaining as the Italians if not even more entertaining, just watch the sublime skills of Ribery, Henry, Zidane, and the crazy eccentric Bathez. I don't know what Materazzi said to Zidane but it must have been something equaly stupid, when you are playing with so much emotion and gutt the last thing you need is someone cursing you and calling you names. I don't think Zidane went out in disgrace, he has done some things in football many players will never dream of doing. I didn't really care who won the cup because of Totti and Henry, they both derserved it, anybody that watches club football knows that those two talented players give their flesh and blood for their clubs. Now that Italy has won a world cup maybe stupid racist slurs will be reduced.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

No, Zidane is a better player than any Italian player and you can't take that away from him. I don't know why people are going about this ridiculous attitude that Zidane is a disgrace. We are talking about someone who scored two crucial penaties and almost scored the winner for France against Italy, not to mention someone who has so much juice he still got the Golden ball award from FIFA. There is nothing wrong with the head butt, its not the gentlemantly way of bowing out but since when has earning a red card not been part of football? As far as I can remember the ref had a red card in his pocket as part of the game or am I missing something? All this should serve is as a reminder that we should all keep our cool because some people retaliate with action and not words, including materazzi, who by the way once punched a defender in the face during a league game. I think this Zidane incident is a reflection of the ugliness in the game of recent, the previous red card record of 22 was shartered before the quater finals of this word cup, one has to watch out for one's arm and leg these days

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, I think the officiating has a lot to do with it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. q0101 Registered Senior Member

I’m glad that the world cup is over. I was hoping that France or any other team other than Italy would win. I live in an area with a lot of Italians. They were still making noise 8 hours after the game was over. (1:00 am) I would be happy if I never see another Italian driving in his or her car blowing their horn, waving and Italian flag, with their face painted red, white, and green, and screaming ITALIA!!! ITALIA!!! ITALIA!!!

I’m not much of a sports fan and I don’t have any national pride. I also don’t really enjoy watching football. I don’t care which teams win or loose regardless of what sport it is. I do enjoy watching athletic players compete against each other, but I usually don’t care who wins or looses.

The whole idea of wanting a team or player to win is just too painful for me. Think about it. Most sports fans usually have one favorite team for each sport that they watch. There is a good chance that the team that you want to win (the world cup or any other kind of cup or gold medal) will eventually loose. If a large amount of teams are competing in a tournament or league there is a good chance that your team will not win. The end result is that during a ten-year period (not the world cup, a local professional sports team) your team might only win once. That is nine years of suffering and one year of joy. And what happens when your team wins? You celebrate for a day or two and then everything goes back to normal. It doesn’t change your life in any way. You don’t get any of the money or privileges that the players get for performing well. You don’t get anything special. Just a little dopamine rush when your team wins and then everything goes back to normal. I think there are better things to care about in life.

I read an article a couple of years ago about a psychological study that was done in England. The study involved men that were extreme football fans. The psychologists learned that some of these men became extremely depressed when their teams lost. Some of the married men lost all of their interest in sex. :bugeye:

By the way, does anyone here know why Americans and Canadians call football soccer? I think American football should be called running ball. Think about it. There is only one player that kicks the ball and all of the other guys run with the ball.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

This World Cup will be remembered for two shameful reasons: 1) Zidane's "madness" and 2) even more egregious, the flopping, the "dying swan routine", the blood-curdling screams as strikers are felled by invisible tacklers, the flurry of red and yellow cards for playing defense too well, etc etc.

Sepp Blatter needs to get him and his fat ass cronies some common sense. Replays are available and the technology allows for precise and indisputable refereeing. USE THEM, FUCKERS!

See you all back here in four years.

8. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Guys,

Zidane is awesome. He showed that a great player needs to stand up for himself. I'm sure that greasy fucking wop deserved a lot more than a headbutt to the sternum. Its a shame he got kicked out, I don't think any of the officals actually saw it in person, they just saw when it was re-shown on the score board, which is absolutely awful for them to use for a carding. One of the toughest things in football is to one up your opponent, physically or verbally, without the officals catching wind of it. If more players would play with the honesty and sincerity of Zidane, the game would be more beautiful than it already is.

9. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Zidane is weak. He took the bait and got himself kicked out. If you're a player in a championship match and there was something (anything) you can SAY to the BEST opposition player to have him removed from the match, YOU would SAY it. Zidane's hit was very bad for football. He validated the effectiveness of insults and trash talk. Because of Zidane's weak reaction, teams may now start researching and digging into personal lives of opponent players for dirt. example: find out some secret bad thing his sister did a few years ago, and throw it in his face at a stressful, opportune moment. ..

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Zidane is fat!

Oh wait! Tha's Ronaldo...

11. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

12. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

They say that he called Zidane a "dirty terrorist"

13. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

To be honest what Zidane did was very irrational, Materazzi could have developed respiratory problems or even had a minor heart attack, not to mention that some people have been known to die from blows to the chest. I'm happy about the world cup, too bad its over now. Maybe until adidas starts manufacturing red cards before people realize cards are part of the game.

14. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

A listener came on the BBC station, Radio Five Live, recently and said that she watches Real Madrid a lot on Sky tv and Zidane is not the paragon he is made out to be. He is very cynical and gets away with a lot in La Liga.

We should really put this into context. Any player, no matter what their percieved personality is, or temperament, has a breaking point. Zidane's was in reaction to something said. His agent told Five Live that it would "be revealed next week" - but all the Italian player has to do is deny it, and we are back to square one.

Eric Cantona, a footballing genius, had his "breaking point" over the words shouted at him by that fan, all those years back, at Crystal Palace. It was in reference to his mother and her "sexual practises". The player got an 8 month ban and the fan a life ban from the ground.

15. The Flemster Unstoppable sex machine Registered Senior Member

The wop called the frog "a son of a dirty terrorist whore". This is why he lost the plot. Fucking baby-- since when has there ever been a football match WITHOUT jibing and insults between players?

16. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

17. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Ribery and Zidane, are both Muslims. Oh yeah and you know what Mazaratisi said to Zid was

"your mothers a prostitute" - the story behind this is, Zids mother was a poor Algerian women who helped get Zid into Europe. So mazartzi got what he deserved Italians are fucking divers.

I wanted france to win big time.

18. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

No one made a big deal out of Figo head butting someone. Its just that Zids a Muslim and everyones making a big deal out of it.

19. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Me too - does anyone like the Italians? I can't wait 'til Milan and Juve get relegated so that Man United can buy all their best players.

20. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

21. stu43t Valued Senior Member

Its the first I've heard about Zid being a muslim - the big deal that people are making out is that he physically attacked another player - not just because he's a muslim DERR

Only could a muslim would come out with a statement like that

Lol - OMG -they've sent Rooney off - its because he's a Christian.

Grow UP!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  22. stu43t Valued Senior Member

23. stu43t Valued Senior Member

Why they dont use big screen replays to aid the refs descision like they do in Rugby league is beyond me.

Maybe too much corruption at stake?