Woodstock and Dead Sea Scroll Connections

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by dan6989, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Zero Banned Banned

Hey I get it. Maybe Dan is being inspired by divine messages from the Purple Potato King!!

The first thing that should come are the commandments...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There is no god, afterlife or divine love. There is only Entropy, the mother from which we were all born. She tugs our souls with the beautiful, maternal love of chaos. Why do you keep Her waiting?

-central philosophy of Zero, Sage of Chaos

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dan6989 Registered Member

The passage I refered to is from Geza Vermes' book, Dead Sea Scrolls in English. It can be found in image 8 at my site. It appears the version that you presented is a little different.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dan6989 Registered Member

With the right lyrics and the right sound, I love Rock music as much as the other guy. How many of you know-it-alls actually read through my site. Did you read about Joe Cocker's role in the connections. As far as me just wanting to push my site, it is simply not true. You will not see any advertising there. If you don't want to visit my site, take a trip to the library.

Woodstock the Oral History, by Joel Makower

Dead Sea Scrolls in English, by Geza Vermes

The New American Translation Catholic Bible

A passage from a Gnostic Gospel that ties Joe Cocker's songs to the Scrolls; "If those who lead you say to you: See the kingdom is in heaven, then the birds of heaven will precede you. If they say to you: It is in the sea then the fish will precede you. But the kingdom is within you and it is without you. When you know yourselves, then you will be known and you will know that you are sons of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you are in poverty and you are poverty."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

"Extensive fragments of the Damascus Document have been recovered from three of the Qumran caves (4Q265-73, 5Q12=CD IX, 7-10, 6Q15=CD IV, 19-21, V, 13-14, V, 18-VI, 2, VI, 20-VII, I, plus a text unparalleled in CD), but two incomplete medieval copies of this document had been found already many years earlier, in 1896-7, amongst a mass of discarded manuscripts in a storeroom (genizah) of an old Cairo synagogue. Published in 1910 by S. Schechter (Fragments of a Zadokite Work, Cambridge), they were reprinted with a new Prolegomenon by J. A. Fitzmyer in 1970, re-edited by Chaim Rabin under the title The Zadokite Documents (Oxford 1954) and in the light of 4Q fragments by M. Broshi, The Damascus Document Reconsidered, Jerusalem, 1992. Cf. also J. M. Baumgarten et al. in J. H. Charlesworth et al., eds., The DSSII: Damascus Document ..., 1995, 4-79 For the editio princepts, see J. M. Baumgarten, DJD, XVII, 1996.
    Dating from the tenth and twelfth centuries respectively, the manuscripts found in Cairo -- Manuscript A and Manuscript B -- raise a certain number of textual problems in that they present two different versions of the original composition. I have settled the difficulty as satisfactorily as I can by following Manuscript A, to which 4Q fragments correspond, and by inserting the Manuscript B variants in brackets or footnotes. At a certain point, as the reader will see, Manuscript A comes to an end and we then have to rely entirely on Manuscript B. Further more, two of the Cave 4 manuscripts (4Q266 and 268) show that page 1 of the Cairo document was preceded by another section of which both the beginning and end have survived. Also 4Q266 and 270 indicate that in antiquity the text corresponding to CD IX, I was preceded by CD XVI. In the translation I have therefore rearranged the order of the pages and placed pages XV and XVI before page IX."

Pg. 125 The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English
    by Geza Vermes

8. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

How many of you actually read through my site

I did, I read through your site.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have a question about the passage from the Gnostic
    Gospel that you refered to in your post - is that taken
    from The Gospel of Thomas?