Wood Carving

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by plexus, Jun 16, 2005.

1. plexus Registered Senior Member

Do any of you carve wood? What tools do you use? Are the tools similar to those for linolium cutting? What paint do you use, if not acrylics? I want to make a mask; what should I do with the inside of it, so that I don't end up with stuff on my face?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Polish it with sand-paper, then wash with water, then dry, then knock off what's left.

Plexus afraid to dirty his face a bit?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. plexus Registered Senior Member

Plexus doesn't want splinters in sensitive areas. Do you?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Not really. My advice still holds.

p.s. anyways, I'm now officially the second greatest spammer on sciforums (for the moment).

8. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I can see. Drunk? When's your last exam? Hehe, guess who's the actuall second greatest spammer on sciforums, for many moments

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

tomorrow

10. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Ah, that's why you're drunk, I understand. Try being drunk during the exam, too, it'll be hilarious.

11. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I would just apply a clear finish to the inside of the mask. after sanding it, of course.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I use rotary tools for woodcarving, they work great and there's no sharpening required. Foredom makes several kinds, the most common is a flexible shaft tool, which works OK, but I prefer their air-powered one. Roughing out can be done with a bandsaw or handsaw, and then finish with larger then smaller and smaller bits. Finally, sand and paint with anything, acrylics work well, also laquers and oil-based paint, clear varnish, or just linseed oil.

If you want to get really fancy, you can mold your own face, and create a blank of material to carve with the exact shape of your face on the inside. There are two-part filled urethanes that carve like wood. Anyway, I do such work every day.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

14. NO1 I Am DARKNESS Registered Senior Member

I sculpt sugar. Maybe just as hard if not harder, definately hotter than wood. Kinda burns your hands sculpting 375degree melted sugar. If you make a sugar mask its easy. Mold you face in clay mold and pour/paint in (for thin) sugar thats been cooked to 275degrees. When your done lick it till its gone.

http://notterschool.com/gallery.php

15. VossistArts 3MTA3 Registered Senior Member

Thats cool. Nice to know some other people like to carve here. I started with wood, and went to soft stone, and finally gem minerals.

All id like to add is that if you havent used Micromesh abrasive clothes for sanding and polishing wood and practically everything else, youre missing out. This product is awesome.. especially for exotic hardwoods. I used it for all sorts of things though, woods, metals, some stone, my scratched cd roms, getting microscratches out if the finish on my spanish classical guitar.. whatever. check it out.

I only carve wood these days when I need to for a display or a special project. Im not set up for wood carving very well. I do carve ivory now and then though, and i guess a lot of the tools are the same. Files, chisels, sand papers, high speed steel cutting bits for the rotary tool. In addition to those things i like to shape exotic hardwood and ivory with my diamond cabbing machine. THey say you shouldnt get these materials wet, but I havent had any problems. I just dry the piece really well after shaping. Its hard to get contours as smooth and fllowing any other way that im aware of than I get on my cabbing machine heh
    check out some of my stone carvings if you feel like it at WWW.msnusers.com/vossistcarvings

16. VossistArts 3MTA3 Registered Senior Member

i started making masks from art plaster and dryer lint. i just mix it all up and smooth it over a big face sized seive? and use a paintstripper/high heat gun to quick dry things. you can add pieces as you go... hot dry them and sand the parts into desirable shapes,. the dryer lint makes it really strong and its not as running or flowing as it would be otherwise. But its also not as lumpy as paper mache.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up!