Wisdom Vs Intelligence

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by RickyH, Jan 20, 2006.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Exactly what I said but then totally different at the same time.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Great, wise, minds think alike...

and sometimes stupid people end up repeating wise things said by wise people.

I like to think it's the former of the two.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

great question!

alright, and its made me thingk. if you look at the term 'philosophy' and check its etymology into philo-sophia, it bascially means the 'love of wisdom'....and 'sophia' really means the Goddess Sophia, which bcomes via the mystery school interpretation, the 'mind of god'
    so lookin at all this its plain to see that 'mind of god' wud be for them philosophers, 'Logos'.
    so, in orther words, they would begin to love ationalization about reality, believing it was the mind of teir 'God'.
    tus we get philosophy in love with words ...about words about words concepts. in short, RIGHYT up its arse!

now, INTELLIGENCE. i wonder how you define this word?

tis is how i am defining i. Intelligence is reality which is organic and spiritual.
    it is the evolving Nature, the creativity of Nature. not just beoning to man's idea of his own intelligence, but say how a tree form in relationship with te whole environment including the vast universe----how rthe animl , the ecosystem, the insect, river, stream, cloud, Earth. all this unimaginable efent which is realy be yond comprehension is Intelligence.

so yeah, Intelligence is from which wisdom grows from. not the other way roundm if we see 'wisdom' as meaning philosophy which LIMITS understanding of this dynamic interealtionship

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

i believe the two to be different
    intelligence is learning digested with thought

wisdom is common sense to an uncommon degree

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

That would just make it a talent then. Thought processing has to be involved IMO. Digesting without thought is just retaining information, it is what you do with that information that matters...don't you think?

Anyone can read art theory, but those who can apply it to mesmerizing effect inhabit intelligence.

Again, to differ between truth and lies, harmful and helpful, useless and useful, in social environment requires intelligence. This is going back to my original point and what others have mentioned; What defines intelligence?

Is it merely a talent? or a skill, which can be worked upon? Are we talking about raw thought processing capabilities? or experience based conditioning?

The question seems to be coming down to the terms of

Brainy Harvard bookworm

VS

Old, exeprienced grandma who tells stories with life teaching lessons.

Personally, I wouldn't pick between the two.

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

i guess you are basicly correct

the first has to apply his learning with thought to appear intelligent

the second has to have common sense to an uncommon degree to appear wise

if i were to choose i would choose the later for everyday life

i also feel that intelligence without wisdom isn't a good thing

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

It's elitism.

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

from wiki:

Intelligence is usually said to involve mental capabilities such as the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn. Although nonscientists generally regard the concept of intelligence as having much broader scope, in psychology, the study of intelligence generally regards this behavioral trait as distinct from creativity, personality, character, or wisdom.

Wisdom is the ability to make correct judgments and decisions. It is an intangible quality gained through experience. Whether or not something is wise is determined in a pragmatic sense by its popularity, how long it has been around, and its ability to predict against future events. Wisdom is also accepted from cultural, philosophical and religious sources.

Many modern authorities on government, religion and philosophical ethics say that wisdom connotes an enlightened perspective. This perspective is often defined in a utilitarian way, as effective support for the long-term common good.

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

from farlex:

intelligence
    a. The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge.
    b. The faculty of thought and reason.
    c. Superior powers of mind.

wisdom
    1. The ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; insight.
    2. Common sense; good judgment: "It is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things" Henry David Thoreau.
    a. The sum of learning through the ages; knowledge: "In those homely sayings was couched the collective wisdom of generations" Maya Angelou.
    b. Wise teachings of the ancient sages.
    4. A wise outlook, plan, or course of action.

13. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

My definition:

Intelligence tells you it is raining and that the temperature is falling. these two factors can lead to a temporarily supressed immune system.

Wisdom says it's raining and getting chill, better head inside before you catch a cold.

14. Gustav Banned Banned

in that case could you comment on my post with a bit more detail?
    what is it that i have said?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

The general definition seems to be that wisdom is an application of intelligence and experience to the real world. Intelligence is part of potential; wisdom is living up to potential.

16. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

A little tangential, perhaps, but...

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
    (Don't you know then, my son, how little wisdom rules the world?)

17. Gustav Banned Banned

i do not understand

18. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

Would an intelligent person not know that wisdom can aid them in life, and pursue it?

Would a wise person not know that intelligence can aid them in life, and pursue <i>it</i>?

In my opinion, they complement each other. Does an intelligent person not, by definition, retain some amount of wisdom? Vice versa with wisdom.

19. crazyfreespirit "Custom User Title" Registered Senior Member

Not necessarily. I know some very intelligent people who make very unwise desicions. Others who are very intelligent can't deal with other people well, which I think is a part of wisdom (understanding how to act, the way life is ect.). Of course, in other cases what you say works.

20. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I kinda know what you mean now. But wouldn't wisdom, therefore, be more applicable to the real world outside of academia?

21. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Wisdom is purley better for one reason in my opinion

Because knowledge is power!

22. steponit Registered Senior Member

The only difference between wisdom and intelligence is reaction time.

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Which is better, the left side of your body or the right. Intelligence suggests the side which you favour in writing, etc. Wisdom tells you both are equally important.