Windows or Mac?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Athelwulf, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

The computer at my home is a Windows XP. It's the one I use the most often. I have a chance to get a Macintosh soon. I don't remember the version, but I will find out tomorrow. I won't be replacing my Windows. I just felt like getting this Mac.

I wanted to know if one system was "better" than the other. Which is easier and more user-friendly? For which is the majority of stuff for computers compatible?

I have experience with both systems. I think the first computer I ever used was a Mac. I have been using a Mac on a fairly regular basis for the past two years, but only for one task: writing for the school newspaper. I've mainly been using a Windows computer the last few years for virtually all of my computer activities, including Internet.

Thanks for answering my questions. Peace, Love, Health, and Happiness to all!

- Âðelwulf

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I would think it is a matter of personal choice. I have tried both and have been using Windows much longer. I'd think they both have their pro's and con's and those using each OS will claim theirs is better.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Fuck`em both, go fbsd!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

If your computer is your hobby and you want to geek out, winders is the way.

If you're more "sophisticated" and just want the thing to do a few specific tasks extremely reliably, mac is the deal.

8. Roman Banned Banned

I'm a big mac fan, but games are slow to be developed for us and are often more costly.

For almost all non-graphics related work, the programs are windows only.

Macs are more powerful, graphically, as well as aesthetically pleasing. The OS of the Mac is incredibly stable, easy to use, and intuitive.

9. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Screw games. The ones you'll find on the mac are top quality. (I could spend an entire day playing sumo.)

If you have the opportunity to get a mac- and don't mind spending your time productively- get a Mac.

If you just want to dick around and play every second rate title that comes from the sweatshops, get windows (or stick *nix on the x86 hardware and use winex.) I haven't like windows since 3.1

10. Roman Banned Banned

Has Half Life 2, Battlefield 1942 or any good FPSs come out for the mac?

11. Dilbert Registered Senior Member

12. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I don't play games on the computer, so I don't need to worry about that. What I'm worried about are programs and computer accessories.

Are programs usually made so that they could be installed and run on both Windows and Macs? And what about computer accessories, like printers, mice, keyboards, digital cameras, webcams, etc.? Will they usually work for both systems?

13. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Oh come on now, you know the answer to that.

Notice that I said games you'll find on mac are top quality, rather than all top quality games can be found for a mac. Obviously, with MS's deathgrip on all things directx, this is a long ways away

Look at the long list of ported titles (Doom3, civ3, simcity4 etc..) More than enough to entertain

14. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Your mouse, keyboard and monitor are not generally interchangeable between a Mac and a PC, the other peripherals you mention however should have no difficulty in working on both machines in most cases. If the Mac is free, take it. If you have to buy, get a machine with OS X or is OS X compatible and then buy the OS - It is absolutely worth it. I use a range of machines at home an work, and adequate software is available for both. There are more commercial products available for PCs, but I believe that MAC has a bigger shareware community.

:m: Peace.

15. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Athelwulf,

Hardware isn't a problem. you'll be able to use all of those things

Almost any software worth having has mac binaries. Theres *tonnes* of software available. if you have any doubts though, like a rare specific app then dont. I know a guy who programs circuit boards and the software he needs is only available for the windows platform.

16. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Xerxes, it doesn't matter, because I don't play games on the computer.

Goofyfish, how much does the OS run? I'm poor, so I wouldn't be able to get too much stuff for my new Mac. Oh, and what's shareware? Sorry, I'm not quite as computer literate as you, I suppose.

If I wanted to network, could I connect a Windows XP to a Mac? That'd be sweet if I could do that. Please please please say I can do that!

17. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

You can network the two machines together... My home network machines are running Windows 2000 Server, Windows XP, Mac OSX and Mac OS 9.3. They can all see each other on the network and share a single printer. I use a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch for the PC's and the OS X machine so that I only need one set of these to run all three.

Shareware is a try-before-you-buy system of software sales (more info). OS X software should run you around 100 bucks - again I say: worth every penny in terms of stability and security.

:m: Peace.

18. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Ya know what . . . come to think of it, there's one game I could think to play on a Mac.

I once had the chance to play with an iMac back in elementary school. It had this überzweet dinosaur game on it. It was 3D, and ya had to go around as . . . either a Veloceraptor or a T. Rex . . . and kill off some other dinosaurs before the meteor hit and ya were killed. I don't remember the name of the game.

I know that this particular Mac doesn't have this game, but would that game come with an iMac update (if there's such a thing)? And if it doesn't, would I be able to get the game from a software store?

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Mac software is costly and hard to get pirated copies as I've heard.

20. Roman Banned Banned

Nanosaur.
    You could "ride" pterodactyls in that game.

Mac software is costly and hard to pirate.

Did Doom3 make it to Mac, cause I'd love to hit that.

21. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Nanosaur? I THINK THAT'S IT!!!!! Thanks, Roman.

I don't want a pirated copy. I want to get the game from a software store, by which I mean Staples or Wal-Mart.

I've figured out the version of Mac that the computer is. Mac OS. Is that the latest version? If not, can I buy update software? Will something that works for an iMac work for an OS? Could I use iTunes on an OS?

Thanks for answering all my questions, guys!

22. Roman Banned Banned

Mac OS means Mac Operating System. Windows OS means Windows Operating system.

It hasn't been since the seventies when a system was simply OS. Now, they correspond with a number, like the latest Mac OS is 10.3.6, 10 denoting a major change in platform (10 is radically different from the preceeding operating systems), .3 a somewhat substanital change, and .6 for relatively small bug fixes.

Most Mac software you cannot get at Staples or Wal-Mart, you actually have to go to a real software store (like a Mac store). There are games that are sold that are for Mac at Wal-Mart, but typically they're hybrid disks from Blizzard, in which case you should buy them because Blizzard games are like fine, fine wine.

Alright, so pirating's not an issue for you, good. Now all you have to cope with is prohibitive prices. I find that most Windows products (like Word or MSN) that don't run in their native environment (Windows) experience frequent problems and generally suck.

iTunes, if you didn't know, is Macintosh, and it depends what OS you're running. Any OS that's 9+ will run iTunes.

I strongly advocate mac purchase. It's generally agreed with those truely in the know (read: not greasy, adolescent gamers) about computers say Mac is the superior product.

23. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Nuh-uh. In my program list, for example, I have PSP, visio and java 1.5 which aren't found on the mac. Those are some v. significant titles.

Define "generally agreed" and "in the know". From what source did you obtain this remarkable tidbit of information? Was it, by chance, on a daytrip to opposite land? In my experience greasy, adolescent gamers are extremely educated computer users whose knowledge is far greater than that of the general computing populace.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.