Windows 98 shuts down

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by spuriousmonkey, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I've installed WinXP 130 times in one job - had to, rather than cloning because of the client's requirements. Further to that, I've installed it many times for years since it debuted (spelling?).

Bootloaders/partition managers are for us power users, that does not contribute to simplicity, that actually lends to additional complexities.

Windows has no problems detecting any drives that I know of. I've installed it on up to 500GB. It's file system lends to some loss but that's true to an extent with any file system.

The installer on WinXP does indeed allow configuration of a firewall on setup (i grant that the first WinXP release did not have a firewall). SP2 has a decent firewall that asks you if you'd like to "protect your system now with Windows Firewall" during setup. And that's all. You have immediate protection from everything.

The latest Windows XP...(actually even the first Windows XP) has a VERY large driver database and has expanded with SP2.

I reiterate, there's nothing complicated about installing Windows.

Let's take a look at Linux install.

Before you GET a Linux O/S you have to choose one of what? 36 flavours? (exaggerating).

Then you have a bootloader to deal with. The average joe just wants his PC to work. That's it. He doesn't care about multibooting. Partition choices. File systems. He justs wants to install Yahoo messenger with voice to chat with Mom in Des Moines and his bro in Spain.

You get that done. Then (as in the link) you have printer options. Windows has autodetect that works! And no CUPS (CUPS is a pain in the rear, as opposed to File and Printer sharing in WinXP, and much less features than Windows Server).

You personally, and even I, have different requirements for an O/S. That doesn't mean that the Linux installer is any simpler than Windows. If anything Windows is much simpler and Linux offers the power user more booting options.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Choice is good, I like choice!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That allows me to have exactly what I want, not some "one size fits all".
    Since when do we started to talk about Joe Average? I was talking about how WinXP installation for me is more complicated than Linux.
    I care about multibooting and partitioning, choosing the right filesystem for my needs (it's EXT3).
    I've never had any problems with printers on Linux and Mandriva and recently Fedora Core has always detected them correctly. Granted I haven't tried any exotic setup because I have had no need for such.
    Autodetection usually works, if it doesn't then there are the config options.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

We have a different understanding of the word simple. I'm speaking of a more universal, logical definition of "simple" for the typical consumer. Windows may not be simple for you but the 500 million people who want a quick easy install, Windows has got it.

Microsoft has assumed that if the power user really wants a multiboot with Windows they'll read TechNet or the general support website to find out how to install WinXP with other O/Ss. That process by the way is very simple after reading the documentation

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I know how to do a multiboot with Windows, but with Linux it's a lot easier.
    Yeah, that's why I don't use Windows at all.

8. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I keep it cause it's easier to support, and all the

cool stuff

runs on Windows

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.