Windows 7: My Experience

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by lixluke, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

thanks for that, as soon as I have some free time I will run this and see what happens?

THANKS!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

This sounds excessively unusual. As I keep telling people, Vista may be more of a resource hog than XP, but the right hardware will have it running quite smoothly. It's either a great video card if you have 1GB or less RAM (I've run Vista neatly on 768MB because of the good nVidia card on the PC)...or lots of RAM if you have an onboard video chipset.

A 1 year old laptop with 4GB of memory is more than enough for Vista. The issues that you should be looking at are:

1. Hardware failure (bad memory stick or bad hard drive).
    2. Missing or incorrect driver (unlikely due to the relative "newness" of the laptop).
    3. Corrupt registry (possibly the ultimate result of a virus or an incorrectly installed app).

Point being, the default properties of the OS itself can't be at fault in this case.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Maybe this weekend I will see if I can get it sorted out. I'll probably need some help though. I think I may start by going to the partitioned drive and reinstalling the OP and hopefully at the same time erase any crap that may or may not be on there?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Yup, Vista's running great for me. Problems I have had and "blamed" on Vista, actually turned out to be a driver problem or my own lack of knowledge about vista (hint - just install old stuff in your own user's folder - run it in XP mode if it doesn't work). Once it is up and running(yes t takes a wee bit longer to load...whoppdefuckindo) it's just as fast as xp, and since I jumped to 8Gig Ram - it of course is really fast since I got rid of the swap file.

Bottom line. You buy a new computer in a few months - yes put Win 7 on it ABSOLUTELY. Do not upgrade to win 7. If you have xp on a older computer right now - LEAVE IT, don't upgrade to Vista now or Win 7...unless you really need to.

I think people will be bitching horribly about the win7 upgrade - particularly when they find out running old programs(in particular games - because of drivers) in an XP VM is going to SUCK.

8. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I'm pretty much waiting for the brand machines to include Seven in their offerings. I'm ready for a new PC, so I figure this time I'll configure a Dell/HP or whatever with Seven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.