Will we ever exceed the speed of light-have there been any other experiments?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Gravage, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Asquard: my poor memory distorted my description of the warp concept currently under study. Your description is the one I read about relatively recently.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i dont know it was AGES ago i read that so i cant rember most of it. Im not even sure how you can colaps space, i just rember them sugesting using nukes to do it but how a nuke in front and behind wouldnt just blow the ship to bits i dont rember

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Gravage: I am in agreement that there has been no discovery of any objects traveling FTL. I thought I had stated that but perhaps it was in another thread.

In SCHRODINGERS KITTENS there is discussion of interstellar implications of entangled particles and I wish to defer to that original source. I am well read in quantum physics but am inexpert enough to want to avoid giving a poor answer to your excellent question. And it almost certain that a Google of "entangled particles" or "particle entanglement" or some other similar permutation will provide information on the interstellar implications.

Also, I would expect that any college physics textbook would discuss the electron orbit subject. I was just too slow witted to think of it in my earlier post.

It is strongly believed that tunneling is limited to a small scale. But I think that we do not know that with total certainty. Perhaps tunneling cannot be made to occur on a large scale and thereby provide FTL transportation but it is exciting to speculate that it might be!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

In about 1955 I read about a scientist theorizing that it might be possible to create a "creation field" in front of a vehicle and a "destruction" field behind a vehicle so as, within my poor understanding of his theory, the result would be the same as the one hoped for by recent theorists. Frustratingly, none of the news I have read gave any clue about what the mechanism would be. Evidently there have been a number of people working on the same general concept for some time now.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  8. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Should have written: no PROVEN discovery of of any objects traveling FTL THROUGH SPACE. TUNNELING DOES'T COUNT.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused anyone.

9. Brett1965 Registered Member

I assume one day we will. I don't think we are to far off developing an engine that could do that now. The main problems we face would be having enough fuel to power it and the size of the engine. I would assume that nuclear power would be the fuel with our current technology. I am not up with the play at the moment so there may be other technology out there that could do the job.

Some people say that the stress on the ship would be great. An interesting theory suggests that once you are past the speed of light you would travel through objects without any major consequence. Interesting theory and I wonder who will be daring enough to try the theory out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.