Will we ever be able to control atmosphere and weather?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Gravage, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Ever heard for project HAARP,scalar electromagnetic waves(Tesla's technology) that can artificially weather and even control it,do these events were made artifically?
    Will our technology one day be able to control the entire Earth's atmosphere or just some region,or it will never be able to control weather and artificially create it?
    I honestly think that this will never be possible.
    Any thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Ignoring the detractors, we are currrently influencing the global climate by our industrial and agricultural activities. We can also influence the weather on a local level: seeding clouds wiht silver iodide to promote rainfall is the obvious example.
    In future, such influence could be extended and refined. However, influence is not the same as control. The chaotic character of the worlds weather systems rule out the possibility of control.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

>>>>....seeding clouds wiht silver iodide to promote rainfall is the obvious example.

is this reliable. it has been trialled in australia with inconclusive results i believe.

8. Gravage Registered Senior Member

So,Boris do you think it's possible with ELF waves(Extremely Low Frequencies waves) which were discovered by Nikola Tesla to make an artificial weather and being able to manipulate it?
    Is it possible to weaken hurricanes' strength,make or stop the rainfall,what really happens when we try to modify natural weather?
    I've seen a lot of websites which describes that El Nino,hurricane Andrew and dozens of more weather anomalies are not natural,but supposedly artificial?
    Is there a truth in there?
    Does anyone really know this?

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

What is the mechanism by which ELFs are supposed to generate changes in weather patterns? What aspect of the weather are they meant to change?

El Nino, hurricane Andrew, etc are natural phenomena. They may have been influenced by man's activities, but this has been accidental. They are not the result of a deliberate attempt to alter the weather.

10. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

All you need is the release of enough heat in the right places and you can make the weather do whatever you want. The question is can you do it without nukes.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You can change the weather, but not control it. You would have to have an infinite number of sensors to find out what's happening now, and an infinite number of control mechanisms. Otherwise, Ophiolite is right, the chaos inherent in the system rules out controlling it.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Spidergoat, I think the "Butterfly Effect" describes the whole essence of the weather quite well, since that and Chaos theory in general sprouted from attempting to "Predict" weather patterns.

Quite simply any alteration in weather made by man will have a knock on effect with the rest of the weather pattern. Quite simply you might be able to control a localised cloud or storm, but creating it causes alterations in weather further away.

The cost of a rain cloud being created over head could be the creation a drought on the otherside of the planet. This is where any forms of weather control suddenly starts to interweave into Globalisation policies because any single country manipulating the weather could generate an effect on neighbouring countries. (You can just imagine the lawsuits now like people complaining they had to dry clean their clothing because a Dust storm in Saudia Arabia drew red dust into the atmosphere to be deposited by the rain cloud which moved over a country from the country that incouraged it trying to get a nice sunny day.)

Also the manipulation of the weather would suddenly start to rule out the "Act's of god" scenario, The terming doesn't mean there is a god, it purely means that "No one is at fault because it was the nature of chaos". It would alter the whole perception of if someone gets hit by lightening, dragged up into a tornado or drown in a tsunami.

Simply, we really should attempt to leave the climate alone.

13. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I don't think that's quite right... It seems to me that all that chaos rules out is long term prediction.

14. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

The butterfly effect takes quite a while for its effects to build up and become noticeable. As long as you are prepared to alter the weather on a day by day basis and compensate for any unexpected twists, you should be all right. You also should have ok luck with overall trends if not individual storms due to the law of averages.

15. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

16. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

seeing as some of the most powerful supercomputers in existence can't tell me acurately if it'll be snowing next monday, how are similar computers supposed to control influencing devices in the weather?

okay, technically, with LOTS of energy, we could make the air do as we please, but we're not getting that kind of energy at least for another several centuries, so all we could do is catalyze the existing weather into doing different things. but again, we need a greater understanding of the weather at hand to be able to apply just the right stresses to induce "controlled" weather change.

but i'm no meteorologist...

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

As HAARP can only pump energy into the ionosphere, it's rather naive to think that this single strata can be used to affect the weather completely. Weather is a 3D phenomenon, and involves effects caused by the atmosphere rising over terrain, and interacting with the sea at varying temperatures. All things HAARP cannot change. HAARP can only introduce heat, and weather is often the product of warm and cold fronts meeting, so HAARP could only amplify existing differentials, and even then, the effects would be unpredictable.

18. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

On the weather, it will be very interesting to see such happen. However the prospects are very little, and is very close to controling "free will". Natures's weather properties we witness here on earth sometimes start far into space, so we may have to maybe control our solar system as well if not the entire universe. The scenario has too many variants as well. Like many free ranging events with variants and constraints, its best to start from its source and work the thread all the way in order to gain control. In the case of the weather, its a huge cycle amongst cycles, with sources also acting as results or inputs acting as outputs. For one to gain dominace over such a system one has to create a similar system, i.e another nature or a system very close to nature. Not totally algorithcally impossible, but sure as hell is close to supernatural. And whats going to happen when there is an anormaly in the system; say a radical meteorite breaches our solar space and sets off a wave of severe abnormal weather patterns? How do we control that?

19. Gravage Registered Senior Member

You and the ones like you will have to learn,that you simply will never be able to control the nature,even if you know how does the entire universal system works,you wouldn't be able to control weather on Earth ever,so what makes you think you will be able to control everything,but that's totally impossible.Nature is unbeatable,always been and always will be.

20. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Yep, you should just lie down and die when you get an infection, 'coz there ain't no way you can beat Momma Nature when she's picked your number. Those unnatural anteye-biyotix are useless against the big Momma's charms.

21. neil cox Registered Senior Member

I suspect a lot of what is attributed to Nicoli Tesla is half truths and false inferences. ELF = Extremely low frequencies (and much lower) are farly easy to make, but require extremely large antennas, which typically offset any minor advantages of ELF. My guess is ELF is near useless for weather control and mind control except at prohibitably costly intensity. Igniting a cubic kilometer of methane would likely produce more weather control at far less cost. Neil

22. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Neil,is it possible to weaken hurricane's strength,the power of torando,if not now,will it possible in the next 10 centuries?

23. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Oh,no,I didn't mean on that,I meant we will never be able control weather,volcanic eruptions,earthquakes and the likes...
    You simply can't beat that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.