Will tensions between Iran and USA escalate into war?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by draqon, Dec 19, 2006.

?

Will tensions between Iran and USA escalate into war?

1. Yes war will develop

42.1%
  2. No war will not develop

36.8%
  3. Tensions between Iran and USa?...thats ridiculous

10.5%
  4. Iran will be forced into economical distress

15.8%
  5. ...other developments...

21.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. terryoh Registered Senior Member

You spelled Wahabbism incorrectly. Also the Wahabbi sect is an extreme off-shoot of Sunni Islam.

I don't know why people are so afraid of Iran and claiming all this crap about how Iran isn't democratic enough. It was the Americans (with the help of the British) that overthrew the DEMOCRATICALLY-ELECTED Iranian President back in the 50s, just because he wanted a fairer share of oil revenue. Instead, the US installed a brutal and autocratic shah in Iran, who immediately went to destroy all political freedoms and opposition. Had Americans not done that, we could've seen a friendly and democratic Iran right now. In fact, the US was willing to supply the shah of Iran with nuclear weaponry as well.

Same goes for Iraq, but in a different light. We supported a dictator in Iraq (Saddam Hussein) and looked away as he chemically-bombed Kurds and Iranians. We didn't raise a stink about it back then. Only now did we complain about it, because a lot of that WMD-technology was funded by the US

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The US has basically no right to talk about democracy and freedom in the Middle East, especially when a lot of it's actions were highly undemocratic and anti-freedom to begin with.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I always love people who can not only see into the future, but can see what WOULD have happened if certain events had not taken place in the past. That's a great gift, man!

Now, ...can you tell me what stocks on the NYSE are going up in the next few weeks? I could use a little extra spending money.

Thanks,

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

he said "could", not "would".

you can read, yes?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, so ye're sayin' that it was even worse than the way I read it, huh? I mean it's one thing to make up ones own pipedream, but how much worse to make up the pipe dream with conditions! ...LOL!

Baron Max

8. Genji Registered Senior Member

All the chickenhawks and armchair warriors are hoping Iran doesn't depose the current regime because that would mean no trillion dollar war against Iran! Israel would be devastated if we don't do as we're told and destroy and destabilze Iran.
    The elections recently look to put the brakes on the govt. there since Mr A's opponents swept the day.
    Israel and the White House better come up with phony WMD's so the destruction & death can commence! Feeding the appetite of conservative christian America and the Jewish Lobby.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Will that actually change anything in Iran?

Baron Max

10. Genji Registered Senior Member

It makes a statement that Iranian youth are not carbon copies of their reactionary leader. That they want modernization and they do not want war. They could be marked, hunted down and imprisoned or killed, or elements in Iranian society, an industrialized modern nation by the way, want to join the world body and open the country up.
    These elections weren't tossed together by foreigners like Iraq's elections were. We should be supportive of this and not rush into a far more expensive and much more difficult war with Iran.

11. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

You have to look at this from Iran's perspective. Iran is a muslim country, if you ask the average Muslim Iranian to look at Iraq, I think that's the biggest mistake you could make.

12. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

I think our military options are limited, you cannot bomb away islamic extremism. You can kill the extremists but it risks creating more extremists.

The problem is, we have muslims in the world who want to basically conquer the world and make it muslim, and you also have christians who want to do the same thing. This clash has been going on for thousands of years and this is the newest iteration of it.

The youth are generally the moderates, most young people are open minded, but you have the elders, the old generation, their minds will not change. So it's difficult.

If we are going to war with Iran, how can we actually win? I don't think we could win it alone, not if we are losing in Iraq.