Will Tattoos be Taboo?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Woody, May 1, 2007.

1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

First impressions based on skewed stereotypes say nothing of the quality of the young man, nor his abilities.
    That is why I said I think it is sad that people base their judgements on such.
    If someone thinks Italians are all slimy mobsters, should I pretend to not be Italian to appease them and submit to their stereotypes?
    Even to get a job?
    Not a chance in Hell.
    I'd sooner not work for the prejudiced asshole.

The ability to get past such stereotypes and see a person for the quality of human being they are is the definition of class, in my opinion.

Perhaps he doesn't care to work for a comapny that will not hire him for looking the way he does.
    Perhaps working for such people is against his value system.
    Or do you assume based on the way he looks that he has no value system?
    Not everyone wants to work in a buttoned-down office building.
    Not everyone defines themselves and self-worth based on how spiffy they must look for work.
    I make a good amount of money, yet I know quite a few people with visible tattoos who make much more than I do, and are satisfied with their jobs and lives.
    I also know tattooed people who make much less and are satisfied with that.
    Should they be ashamed of that, since they do not live up to your own personal ideals?

By the way, you still never responded to my questions and points about people who have tattoos under their shirts.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

They don't say it should appeal to everyone.
    They don't say it should appeal to ANYONE but themselves.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Yeah and grow your hair - at the interview for my last job the guy doing interview actually stopped his "corporate image" colleague with the words "This guy must be REALLY good if he can afford to come to an interview looking like that. Good, I don't want another white-shirted tie and suited round peg in a round hole day-to-day drone". I was hired within 5 minutes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

He made his decision before I made mine.

In this fast paced world, sometimes we have to judge quickly in business situations.

No, but you don't have to wear it on your sleeve either. I'm Scotch-Irish but I don't go to work in a kilt.

Especially if you are getting a job. Nobody likes an attitude.

That's your decision. If you want to make a statement then go right ahead. Most people just want to get along. We're trying to look for common ground instead of differences. I have a right to be me, but in doing so I make myself vulnerable.

He probably feels the same way about you so it's best for everyone. Maybe his grandma was gunned down by the maffia or something.

This is what the dictionary says:

2 a : a group sharing the same economic or social status <the working class> b : social rank; especially : high social rank c : high quality : ELEGANCE <a hotel with class>

I'm sorry, but tattoos don't give one a high social rank.

If he's in a band, he'll make it entertainment. Otherwise forget it Jack. As an actor -- no way.

I assure you, he won't be the next movie star. You have my most solemn promise.

He didn't value his natural appearance that's for sure. He'll never ever have it again.

Hardly anybody does now days. Just not comfie.

Does he shed his skin when he gets off of work?

Good for them. Hey I wish them the best. If I didn't give a shit I might get a tatto, an ear ring, and a pony tail too. When I retire, I might just be a born again hippie without the drugs and the illicit sex. I might have fun doing it too complete with my guitar. Come over to my place for ice cream and a big guitar jam-a-thon. I'm all about it dude.

Until then it's yucky corporate america for me.

better get used to it.

Some things are just out of place at the wrong time. I love a good joke -- but not at my dad's funeral. I like spicy food, but not when I have salmonella. It's ok if you wanna crap, but not on the boss's desk.

OK you did have to ask, errr well it depends....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

woody what raven is saying is true when you get to the core though. yeah employers will look down on people with visible tatts especialy if they are working with customers and the public,

but thats because people are heavily influenced by what is the current social acceptence, from culture to culture country to country there is differend social norms and levels of tolerance.

in the west having markings on your face is not accepted as respectable. but in alot of places marking on your face are the norm, would you slap a big red dot in the middle of your forehead? no but a bindi is the norm in alot of indian culture, certain buddhists used to tattoo a number of dots on there heads too like a die/dice. it doesent mean the buddhist is a madman does it,

many peaceful african tribes paint and mark the entire body head to toe, you cant tell everybody they are something because they have chose to decorate there own body in a certain way, they might be the complete opposite kind of person to what you judge them to be,

you are the type of person to judge everybody and laugh at them for not dressing like a "regular joe" i see plenty of people with this attitude snickering at people for not wearing the social and fashionable norm to there culture, if somebody chooses to have a radical image that does not harm anybody what is the problem? let people be free and be less prejudice it would make for a better world.

peace.

9. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

When you go to rome, dress as the romans do. You'll get along a lot better. :thankyou:

Better to buy someone a drink than piss in it. :cheers:

Like Richard Gere -- whatta dumb ass!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What's he trying to prove over in India? He's just being himself, right? The asshole.

Appearance does count, and if you don't respect culture, it doesn't respect you.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

so when you go to london with every race under the sun living together how do you dress?

you dont have to piss in the drink or buy them one, what about not buying them one and not pissing in it? or is neutral not your thing only one extream or the other.

peace.

11. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

As a Londoner dresses. Of course that would depend on what part of London I was going to. If culture doesn't matter then dress as you like.

Come to think of it, you don't have to socialize with them either, especially if they have nothing in common with you.

12. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

why should how anybody else dresses effect how you want to dress?

so if you went to golders green NW london you would dress in jewish garments skull cap and all?

if you went to forest gate east london you would dress in muslim or african or rasta atire?

if you went to westminister central west london you would dress in a buisness suite?

if you went to hackney or edmonton you would dress in a hoody top, low baggy jeans with a fitted cap and a gun?

how about wear what you like where you like because you like it not conforming to what is socialy popular like a little sheep clone, i wear anything i feel like wearing, one day i might wear jeans and t shirt, one day might wear hoody jeans and cap, one day might wear just a wife beater and jeans, one day might wear my gong fu uniform, might wear my shaolin uniform, might wear a suite,

it depends what i want to wear, because i can,

peace.

13. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

It's a lifestyle choice, you might not agree with it but that doesn't make it wrong. Get over it, if it affects your relationships with those people then thats up to you, to each their own.

Body mods started out as a statement of individuality, and continues as such except they're so common now the majority are no longer individual at all, almost everyone wants one.:shrug:

For the record I despise them, I like a natural look, but a lot of people I know have them and apart from me being thought of as weird it changes nothing in my friendships. Dating someone is another matter, depends how well they can cope with not being found attractive, women get really bugged by that.

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

"What's he trying to prove over in India? He's just being himself, right? The asshole.

Appearance does count, and if you don't respect culture, it doesn't respect you."

so what happens when cultures mix into 1 society? who should respect who? did the white european americans respect the native americans?

what your saying is basicaly do what the majority around you do?,

and anti-flag, scroll back one page and look at the women in the black n white dress doing a little twirl pose with the ankle tattoo, your saying that without that tattoo she is good looking, but with it she is ugly?

thats just silly, you guys suck.

peace.

15. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Ever been to a formal wedding or to any formal occassion? You don't go in blue jeans and a t-shirt, not if you have any class anyway.

I would ewar whatever is respectable for a gentile to wear at their social occassion. I don't think they expect me in a skull cap. Most cultures make some allowances.

If I went there I wouldn't wear an image of mohammed.

Probably so, depending on the event. If I was going for a job interview I would certainly dress for it.

I think they would accept me without a gun. I never said I was trying to be one of them, I said I was trying to respect their culture, which is part of who they are. I'm on their turf, so I show them some respect.

Sure, go ahead and be a square.

ok, if square is you then go for it. But if you dress like a square, don't be surprised if you are treated like a square.

Sure you can be counter culture all the way. Don't expect anybody to respect you though.

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

since when is daily life a formal occasion. you said if you went to a certain area you would dress accordingly. so if you went to compton you would represent as a blood or crip?

why are you so hung up about respect from wearing clothes? if somebody down the street doesent like what i am wearing and doesent respect me, why should i care if i dont have his respect?

if your on their turf you will dress like them to show respect? if i go somewhere in public i will dress how i like and other people can suck my balls because im not out to gain respect from random strangers, i have nothing to prove.

yes i will be a "square" and not dress how others think i should, i will dress how i like thanks,

counter culture all the way? so what culture am i from and how should i dress then since you are the authority of style and dress codes?

peace.

17. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Then the cultures merge into a brand new culture that considers both.

If you want any respect, yes. If you don't want respect then don't give any. It's not just the way you dress but the way you conduct yourself as well. In our culture it's rude to belch at the dinner table. In someone else's culture it's rude not to.

Well what would you think if the black tattoo was just a big black hairy mole? Would that make her prettier.

We just have different tastes that's all. Tatse changes with age. When you get older you won't like some of the music you like now. Likewise, some of the tattoos will get old.

18. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

ps whats wrong with what i said i wear? or is it because i mentioned shaolin gong fu uniform? sorry that training in shaolin gong fu for 18 years hasnt earned me the right to don the garments,

peace,

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

"we just have different tastes thats all"

yeah you expect others to respect your tastes, but you wont respect mine will you,

peace,

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i dont think this debate is going anywhere but around in a circle, so i will agree to disagree with you, we obviously dont see eye to eye and my opinion on this wont change, because i respect what anybody wears aslong as it is not a threat to my life,

you obviously have problems and think others should dress how you tell them they should according to what side of town they are in,

have fun spending your life trying to gaint he respect of everyone i will enjoy my life by doing what i want nd wearing what makes me happy,

peace.

21. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I don't find her attractive anyway but I get the point you're making, and it's a turn off for me, same way a lot of things are for other people, that's me and perhaps you're different, what's your point? Not everyone likes the same things, some people don't find guys with long hair attractive for example, but with short hair they like them, or different hair colours; same principle really and we're all allowed to find people unattractive for whatever reasons we have, or are you going to insist that's a bad thing? Beauty will always be entirely subjective.
    I guess you could be objective and score everyone on a percentage, they may have nice features in parts but overall it gets dragged down by things you dont like, its human nature, everytime you see those things you think "eww gross"(or something similar).
    FYI - I never said I wouldn't date someone just that I wouldn't find them particularly attractive and with women that often makes things awkward for them as they like being physically desired.:shrug:
    I can date people I consider ugly because I won't be shallow about it, but don't expect me to lie to myself, them or anyone else over what I find attractive, if someone's face is all burnt off it's not going to blow you away as far as beauty goes.
    Maybe that sucks and maybe it doesn't really matter, but welcome to the real world. Sorry to burst your bubble.

22. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

who said i want to introduce people to the verse?i think i would actually be quite embarrassed to explain the tattoo to someone as the reasons that i like that verse so much are deeply personal.
    why do i have to design a tattoo myself?

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

So you'd have it tattoed which way up? So that you could read it, or people looking at you could read it? Why have it potentially on display, if you are not trying to show it to others? Why does it mean more having it on you, than in a book on your shelf?

So the tattoo is 'deeply personal' and not just poetry written by someone else that you happen to think is cool right now.

I think you should examine your motives for getting a tattoo deeply, before getting one, or put some money aside for a laser removal.