Will Tattoos be Taboo?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Woody, May 1, 2007.

1. Genji Registered Senior Member

I don't do tattoos. "Tramp Stamps" as they are sometimes referred. Though I wouldn't mind a sickle & hammer tat on me right bum.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Was he in entertainment? I've already agreed they are fair game. How do you know he has 10 tattoos?

How old is he? Does he have body piercings too?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

For once I have to agree with you Genji.

I took the family to a regional theme park last summer and almost every adult there had tattoos except us. It really looked cheap. Most of them smoked too.

We decided we'd never go back to that geek joint. They had no class at all it seemed, not just how they looked, but the way they acted as well. Tattoos do not give someone respectability.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Genji Registered Senior Member

Tattoos garner respect in prison culture and gang culture. Both are highly glamorized now. Not everyone that's stamped is a tramp but it connotes a lack of self respect and personal strength. A tatt is saying: LOOK EVERYONE! I succumbed to peer pressure! I look like a gangbanger in an urban ghetto!! YIPPEE!!!! Look at MEE! I have tattoos like maximum security inmates!!!!!

8. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

It's the pirate image, with ear rings, etc.

Everyone tries to look like their hero I suppose.

What's wrong with a person just being themselves?

In other words they are fit to spit on. Excellent point.

Why don't they just get a big spittoon tattoo on the old face?

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  9. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Tattoos and body piercings kill a job interview in a lot of professions:

http://www.youngmoney.com/careers/advice/030127_04

http://www.jobweb.com/resources/library/Interviews/Appropriate_Attire_34_01.htm

Want to be an aviation professional? Cover that tattoo with a bandage:

http://www.avjobs.com/interviews/interview-step-by-step.asp

Never fear, there's tattoo camo for the tasteless tattoo that's out of style:

http://www.tattoocamo.com/about.html

Job Interview
    · Social Affairs
    · Business Functions
    · The Wrong Person’s Name at the Wrong Time
    · Wearing a Strapless Gown
    · Out of Style Artwork for Your Place in Society
    · Recreational Activities
    · Stage and Theatrical Activities

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"out of place artwork for your place in society" in other words "no longer wants to look like a tramp"

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I've never really seriously wanted a tattoo, though a few original designs have been made for me by an excellent artist.
    I don't want to encumber my skin with images, because my interpretation of them shifts with moods and other changes of my psyche. And I myself play many roles depending on the mood and occasion - punk rocker, monk, metal head, psychiatric, shaman, lawyer, boy, girl, human, other animal, I just keep shifting day to day and am very impermanent, so any image would only tie me down.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't want to work at a job that doesn't want me as I am any way.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have that image printed out and attached to a wall above my desk at work.

12. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

I create my own universe everyday. Time erases the slate and I create it again. Music is the perfect medium for creativity. It energizes me everyday to pick up a guitar and play whatever crosses my mind. In a universe of my own choosing I don't care what others think.

I guess that has nothing to do with a tattoo. A tattoo is someone else's creation -- why would I want their creation on me? :shrug:

Time doesn't erase that slate. Everyday the same old tattoo that someone else created. I'd be stamped forever to conform to their universe.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  13. Roman Banned Banned

I know this guy, he'll be 50 this summer, with tattos on his scalp. Big, celtic, bravehart style shit, and he wears his graying hair back in a ponytail. Huge guy, wicked talented fighter. Probably the coolest tattoos I've seen.

14. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Agreed, its like smoking...a form of self defilement.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Aww, come on, many tattoos are pretty beautiful to look at, especially if they have been made with that particular body in mind.

16. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

A fighter that looks like a prison inmate.
    May be he's a nice guy, but I suppose he earns the respect that a bully gets.

17. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

I asked the wife, and she agrees -- a tattoo NEVER makes a woman look RESPECTABLE, and it NEVER makes her look like she has CLASS. Can you think of an example?

I think some of the lower back tattoos look pretty sexy when a girl wears low rider jeans, like maybe Gretchen Wilson. But I can't say it looks respectable. Hence she carries the white trailer trash image.

18. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Maybe atheletes are completely free to tattoo whatever and wherever they want.

Some acting parts are not compatible with tattoos. It looks so out of place for some scenes because it's so culture-labeled.

19. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Tatoos are a form of expression. Very cliche. Seriously though, what's wrong with tatoos?

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

if you want a tattoo then thats fine with me, its your body not mine i cant judge. its just like a piercing is a form of body art.

peace.

21. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I don't want one. They can look cool on guy's with the right physique, but I can't stand seeing them on women, I immediately think, trollop.

22. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

That's great...couldn't agree more.

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I've only heard of the ones on the lower back being called Tramp Stamps.

For those that determine whether or not someone has class based solely on whether or not someone decides to get a tattoo (which is a thousands-year old practice, and the current stigma is a fairly recent phenomena based on recent social norms), I fell sorry for you.

Class has nothing to do with how you decorate your body (and let's face it, everyone decorates their bodies in one way or another) it has everything to do with the person you are and the manner in which you conduct yourself.
    This who judge people on such superficial matters, in my opinion, lack class.