Will Science Eventually Drown Religion?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by sderenzi, Oct 24, 2006.

1. imaplanck. Banned Banned

"Will Science Eventually Drown Religion? "

No!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

then please go ahead and enlighten us.
    a few local links please.
    then please go ahead and enlighten me.
    a few links would help, ones that show it was an atheist philosophy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

audible

you haven't located any threads innvolving atheists arguing amongst themselves?

you mean you never wondered why gulags didn't catalyze a religious renaisance in communist russia and china

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sderenzi Banned Banned

I hope all religious organizations and peoples realize the obsurdity of their beliefs and eventually abandon the silly child-like, mindlessness of them.

8. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Religion is drowning in its own lies.

9. imaplanck. Banned Banned

What evidence do you have for that? I would say that you are very wrong in stating that.

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

its not uncommon for theists to also express the same concern

I hope all atheistic organizations and peoples realize the obsurdity of their beliefs and eventually abandon the silly child-like, mindlessness of them.[/

11. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

The difference being, it's not absurd to disbelieve in imaginary beings...

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

to know that a transcendent God does not exist would require a perfect knowledge of all things (omniscience). To attain this knowledge would require simultaneous access to all parts of the world and beyond (omnipresence). Therefore, to be certain of your claim one would have to possess godlike characteristics. Obviously, mankind's limited nature precludes these special abilities. Your dogmatic claim is therefore unjustifiable. As logician Mortimer Adler has pointed out, the atheist's attempt to prove a universal negative is a self-defeating proposition.

13. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Correct.

Correct.

Unsubstantiated, and inconclusive.

And I made no dogmatic claim. I merely pointed out that it's much more reasonable to not beleive in the invisible.

14. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Except that ahteists don't try to prove the non-existance of God, they simply don't believe in him, it or whatever.
    Theists like to believe in the God of the gaps.

15. Roman Banned Banned

You don't know much about science, you don't know much about religion. You probably know little about your own religion.

Basically, you're religious because you're ignorant. Belief is no substitute for knowledge.

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

wsionynw

Some atheists may speak like that but in this case it is a very definitive statement by glaucon .....

The difference being, it's not absurd to disbelieve in imaginary beings...[/I]

its not like he is saying god may or may not exist - he is saying god is imaginary - I was pointing out that making such claims are very difficult for a logical person

17. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Again, your logic is unsound.

I make no denial of the possibility of a god, merely that, until substantiated, it is unreasonable to beleive in one.

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

glaucon

the point is that you don't have the means to determine that it is imaginary, so when you make statements like

they are in fact dogmatic

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

so you want to back down from your claim that god is imaginary?

20. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

The onus is not upon the disbeliever, rather it is upon the believer. I don't need the means to determine whether or not some supposed thing exists or not. Given a complete lack of evidence, the onus is upon that person that believes in the imaginary to provide such. This is why we are not the ones who have to convince the insane that we're sane.

Clearly, the statement is not dogmatic. One is of course free to believe in the imaginary.

21. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

lol

Not at all.

Imaginary, until proven otherwise.

Like the unicorn.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Religion will adapt to emerging science, eventually. There is still plenty of room for inspirational mythology, one modern equivalent of which is Star Trek.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

In a debate concerning the question, Does God exist? atheists frequently assert that the entire burden of proof rests on theists. This, however, is a false assertion. As philosopher William Lane Craig has stated, when an interrogative such as Does God exist? is debated each side must shoulder the burden of proof and provide support for what they consider to be the correct answer. This is unlike debating a proposition such as God does exist, where the burden of proof rests entirely with the affirmative side.

so perhaps you would like to explain how you came to your conclusion

To be more specific, your view positively affirms that there never was, is not now, and never will be a God in or beyond the world. But can this dogmatic claim be verified?