Will Science Eventually Drown Religion?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by sderenzi, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Rjr6,

Neither. Religions are not looking since they claim they have found the truth. In the case of theism the answer to everything is a god did it.

Religions start with an answer and then try to make everything fit the answer. Science begins with questions and looks for the answers.

It would seem even your opinions are misinformed. The evidence over the centuries shows the exact opposite. As science reveals more and more then we see religions gradually lose control over the world they once ruled. Religions once stated what everyone was to believe but as science revealed real knowledge religions have always given in to science. It seems inevitable that that trend will continue. Religions have yet to reveal a single truth. Science on the other hand has amassed vast libraries of knowledge.

Science represents knowledge which is taking time to discover. Religion grew in the absence of knowledge by creating fantasy explanations of the universe which was not understood. But why people become religious seems far more to do with where they were born and the dominant indoctrination influence in their culture rather than any informed choice or reasoned questioning of the universe.

So you chose religion out of ignorance then?

That ignorance of science and how the universe functions leads to religious fantasy is indeed widespread, and that is certainly nothing worthy of pride.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

The answer is no.
    Never underestimate the human fear of responsibility.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

There are more similarities between science and religion than scientists would like to admit. Politicians feel that and use science in a religion-like fashion more and more.

The main societary purpose of religion is to justify status, property, etc. of those who's got theirs, and keep in check those who didn't get theirs yet (and most likely will never get it). The ratio mundanity to eccentricity is in direct correlation with ratio of those who's got theirs and those who didn't.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

Let's give sderenzi a chance to answer.

Thats right - nukes, the religous right, shia' and sunni (sp), muslims, christians, Israel -yeah we're getting to a point where religion is meaningless.

I don't agree with you

who said I was religous? ignorant maybe

pride goeth before the fall

8. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Have you converted since the evolution video thread or are you just that stupid?

9. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

I am theists, I wouldn't escalate that to having a religion, but in a technical sense I am religous.

10. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Thomas Jefferson thought we'd have no religion by this time.

It would seem that he was wrong.

Will science ever make religion obsolete? No. Because science is observation of the natural world. It is not a moral force, it is not a comforting force, it does not accord to human archetypes and societies...

11. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

12. Thomas "God is a Dick"- Me Registered Senior Member

Yay to number one!!!!!

13. Thomas "God is a Dick"- Me Registered Senior Member

evolution video thread? can i see?

14. Thomas "God is a Dick"- Me Registered Senior Member

Hahaha there is a banned list....why was Abdullathebomber banned? i can only guess?

15. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Not quite evolution, but we have a few of those here, use search on your sciforums toolbar.

16. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

superluminal,

To clarify: Our father who art in heaven is not a warm fuzzy. That is what I agree with. Not that he is not there, but just the belief that he is santa claus.

17. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

What the fuck are you talking about? You think God is Santa Clause? WOW!

18. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

science has always been there, religious fantasies fade away regardless, http://www.godchecker.com/, the egyptians lasted 3000 yrs the romans about 1300 yrs, greeks about 1000 yrs, religions come and go it's a fact.
    I personally think there will always be some kind of religious lunacy. but in the future so small, as to not the effect the safety and the advancement of man.

19. Gordon Registered Senior Member

You are entitled to your beliefs but as this is a 'Scientific Forum', debate should be about facts and therefore you have no entitlement to distort facts.

Atheists have been saying that religion is dead since at least the eighteenth century (especially post French Revolution). Many atheists at that time (much as some today) claimed that if you got rid of religion, mankind would progress into a more advanced, civilised society. History (especially after two world wars in the last century) has of course somewhat dented that as a proposition and in fact in the last 50 years it has been atheism that has been losing adherents. Web sites are not a good way of gauging majority opinion, particularly not world opinion since the predominance of western (and especially US) web sites is totally unrepresentative of world demography.

Across most of the world except where imposed by the state, atheism has never been a popular belief (it probably has not been 'popular' even there!). States that have tried to impose atheism have eventally had to give this up. Examples are post revolutionary France, USSR, China, Albania and many others.

Even in the western world, the last UK census (2001) for the first time had a voluntary 'religion' question. 92% chose to answer it and of those only 9 million stated they had 'No Religion' (presumably those regarding themseleves either as atheists or agnostics etc.) whilst 45 million claimed an adherence to a recognised religion. This hardly represents atheism triumphing over religion!

In the majority world, christianity is increasing dramatically in countries which were formally officially atheist. In China for instance Wikipedia states as follows:

'Recent estimated figures of the number of Christians in China are varying. The official figure in 2002, which consist of members from Official Protestant churches is about 15 million, while some estimation on members of Chinese house church vary from 50 million to 100 million. Kiven Choy stated in a Chinese weekly newspaper in Hong Kong that, the correct number of Protestants in China should be at around 20 million, while Time Magazine recently reported 65 million'. Whatever the exact figure, it's a very large number of people and they are almost all new christians!!

In the whole world, those of 'no religion' (includes persons with no formal, organised religion including agnostics, freethinkers, humanists, secularists, etc.) amounted in 2000 to 775 million or only 12% of the world population and this proportion was falling not rising! (Source: http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm )

I suspect with what has been happening in China since 2000 that a more recent update of these figures would show a further fall in the 'no religion' category.

Whoever is right about the existence of God or not, it is the 'no God' side which is losing adherents across the world.

regards,

Gordon.

20. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

and you do the very same, it does'nt say on the site you posited, whether atheism is up or down or stable, all it says is non religion, is falling. do you wonder at it.

mainly through fear, however a lot of the time to be accepted, there are a huge amount of non religious people who play act at being religious.
    if you live amongst fundimentalist muslims or catholics, it's wise to say your one as well is it not.
    it is most certainly not wise at present to shout out your an atheist especially in the bible belt of america or islam, especially if you have a family.

these next two quotes are from two well respected forum members, and will clarify the reasoning for the rise of islam and drop in non religious.

21. Gordon Registered Senior Member

I never cease to be amazed at how 'evidence based' atheists wish to dispute facts that do not suit them.

I do not believe that truth is affceted by majority belief so the 'numbers game' is only of academic interest, however I am interested in logic and your logic fails.

Clearly in repressive societies you would expect people to be more likely to go with the societal norm than against it but the results of the census I included (about which you have carefully chosen not to comment) are from the UK, which is not a repressive society but one where you can declare yourself to be of any religion or none with total impunity. Note that the religion question was not even compulsory to answer at all, but 92% chose voluntarily to do so!

In regard to the world figures, the changes in world society which would be likely to make a change either up or down are not that many more people are now under repressive religious regimes (the number and size of Islamic states and their unfortunate repressed populations have not changed greatly in magnitude in recent times) but it is people living in states which were formally repressive atheist societies such as Eastern Europe, China etc. that have changed considerably in number terms. If atheism was a doctrine of choice, these people would have happily kept it whilst those with religious leanings in the free western world would be turning more and more to atheism.

But the figures just do not support this. Large numbers of those who lived in previously officially atheist countries are now voluntarily choosing to believe in God, whilst belief in God in a free western democracy such as the UK is holding firm. So the figures show that atheism as a philosophy is loverall osing ground. As I stated at the beginning, this is not directly related to what may or may not be true but I affirm that as a statistical fact it cannot be disputed.

What is perhaps more important is that in my lifetime the view of 'positive atheism' that humankind can of itself create a much better society which was stiill quite a popular view in the UK when I was a teenager (about 40 years ago) has now (it seems to me) virtually disappeared as a seriously held view. Most atheistic views promoted are now much more pessimistic about the future generally and are more to do with doing the best I can personally against a worsening general backdrop of society. This last is just my view from my own observations and discussions with people over the years (albeit many people and many years!). I admit that I have no independent research to confirm or deny it so present that merely as an opinion.

regards,

Gordon.

22. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

Gordon: not replying to most of your other post was only due to the possiblity of repeating myself.
    your figures are some what sketchy, at best.
    non religious people have always been about a quarter of the population, as your world view shows.

however you have to take in the religious diversity of the christians, (34000 different sects) so lets play silly games.
    of that 42 million british christians how many are catholic, mormon, baptist, etc.
    whereas atheism is of a common non belief.

with statistics, you can make it read whatever you wish.

you have'nt shown whether there is a rise or fall in the uk, of the non religious, and as your world view shows again, atheists are listed separately, from the non religious, so is this fall due to them becoming religious, or something else.
    and you keep refering to atheist countries however these are non religious countries( no state religion) I've never seen or heard of any country adopting atheism as a state philosophy.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

audible

I think this site offers enough evidence to counter this claim

then you haven't done much reading on the historical application of communism in russia in china