Wikipedia protest shutdown

Discussion in 'World Events' started by arfa brane, Jan 17, 2012.

1. eyeswideshut Registered Senior Member

For the record; Havent been downloading anything for years except freebies, mainly software. The stuff I´m into isnt in the mainstream.
    I´m into good talented genuine artists, like these ones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLgUbMXEk2w

Hope I didnt break any laws now, he hee...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

No Trippy, I had to spell it out for you in little words because what you claimed you got out of what I posted was absurd.

Not ONCE in this thread have I said that if you oppose SOPA that you must support Piracy.

BS, no such allegation was made against Arfa.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Are you from Texas because reading that just sounds exactly like something Bush would say. Why pray tell should anyone follow the laws to protect YOU when you don't care about the laws to protect consumers and small businesses? The trade practice act is THE SINGLE most important piece of legislation when it comes to the sale of goods and services. ANYONE who sells anything must be compliant, to protect other businesses as well as customers. So basically what your saying is that you don't care about 1 set of legislation which protects ME as well as you from exploitation while whinging that other people don't paticually care about legislation designed to protect big movie studios. Its really simple, don't try to charge me double what you charge other countries and I will pay for it. For instance the new PSP coming out will be sold in Australia for $100 MORE than its sold in the US and those prices were based on the Australian $ being worth more than the US one. Shipping doesn't cost more because the chances are they are made in Singapore which is right off the coast, so what's your excuse?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

So this isn't your post then?

8. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I've never really encountered the attitude that my audience is expecting anything for free. Granted, pay at venues in the U.S. is dismal compared to Europe and Asia--where one typically gets meals, proper lodging, and often even travel expenses in addition to pay for the performance--but I don't perceive the audience as largely responsible for that.

In fact, in the U.S. I've often made a good deal more money playing so-called "house" shows, be that a warehouse, someone's house, whathaveyou, where no actual cover charge is set.

A large part of the difference is often accounted for by performance spaces in Europe getting government funding--oftentimes what is brought in at the door doesn't even come remotely close to what you're actually being paid.

Likewise, the issue of piracy is somewhat complicated in this respect: I've already acknowledge that I am very much opposed to the idea of anyone profitting from piracy; but as to the matter of albums being posted and "shared" on blogs, file-sharing sites, and torrent sites, it's hard for me to complain as I've actually benefited greatly from increased exposure. Moreover, the sort of people who download my stuff and actually like it, tend to be the sorts who will buy it when opportunity presents itself.

By the same token, independent labels have benefited in a like manner.

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

10. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Perhaps they watched The Daily Show, though I somehow doubt that.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I find these arguments about copy write being theft amusing when compared to the debate a while ago about US citizens going to mexico and Canada to STEAL the Universal health care that those countries provide and sourcing prescription medications from Australia and India where our governments (ie our TAXES) subsidise these medications and STEALING them or buying them from the black market where they have been stolen from Medicare.

12. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I find it amusing (no, I don't) that adoucette seems prepared to stand behind anything Congress does. And that he manages to turn any discussion about anything to do with American politics into a "you said", "no, you" debate.

It's kind of mind numbing that there are people out there with minds as numb as adoucette's.

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

14. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Nice Red Herring. Back to the OP - do you feel artists deserve compensation or not?

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually the opening post is "do you think that you should be able to apply US law across the whole world?" or "do you think THIS act is the right act"

16. gmilam Valued Senior Member

You can see the "screw the man" attitude right here in this thread. The problem is, it's not "the man" who gets screwed - it's the artist.

(While a little off topic: here's a good article on the current club scene in the US: http://www.scribd.com/doc/78468650/La-Club-Owners )

House concerts are a relativly new phenomenon and are becoming a good way for a solo or duo act to help pay the bills. It's a grass roots movement of the fans supporting the artists. And the fans usually show up wanting to buy merchandise (i.e.- CDs.). I've had good experience with house shows, as both a performer and an audiene member.

Once again, I've never claimed SOPA is the answer. I think the answer is people taking responsibility for their actions. Don't steal someone's work. If you download it and find yourself listening to it - pay the artist. Same goes with books & software - pay the author.

17. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Actually, the OP claims the world has moved on from the idea of "intellectual property". And my claim is if you don't protect intellectual property, it's the small guy who is going to be screwed in the long run.

So answer my question - do you feel the artist has a right to compensation?

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

an artist has exactly the same right to be paid for there work as anyone else does, ie if someone pays to watch a concert and then records it that's not a copy write violation because they already paid for it. In no other profession does someone control something AFTER they sell it, if I buy anything else its mine to do with as I see fit. The amusing thing about this is that its not actually illegal to copy a movie or a song. Its always been legal to record stuff off TV or the radio. I've also never herd of anyone being taken to court for giving that to a friend. Its only if you SELL it that it becomes a problem

BTW they also have the same RESPONSIBILITIES as everyone else, ie to follow the trade practices act.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

how is an attempt to protect intellectual property rights a sole US concern?

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Ok lets say Australia passes a law which forces US companies acting with US clients IN the US to act a certain way, how exactly would that go down with the US? Doesn't MATTER what the law is or what its aimed to do

21. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Yes.

But it doesn't support your point since asking someone a question about their position on a subject is not an assertion of their position.

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

it does indeed matter what the law intends.
    do you, as an aussie (not derogatory is it?), regard intellectual property rights important?

i agree that NO nation should impose it's will across the board, but there are things we all can agree on.
    child abuse for example, spouse battering for another, murder for yet a third.
    i think that we all can agree that these things should be illegal.
    if the US passed a law declaring murder illegal would you pitch a bitch over it because it's "US law"?

23. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Recording a concert is bootlegging (RoIOs) - a different animal from piracy. I have a few RoIOs in my collection. If the artist decided to make them available for purchase, I would gladly buy them. (Case in point, the recently released BBC recording of Pink Floyd performing DSOTM live in 1974.)

Do you feel it's OK for you to buy an artist's officially released work and then make it available for free dowload?