Why Windows XP also can be cracked ?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Seeker01, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

This is true...
    Its hard to want to write something for someone else when there is NO monetary encouragement. I realize thats the idea behind open source, but its the facts. The fortunate thing is HOW many good things can come out of a bunch of people just writing software that THEY like.

As for games. There are a few companies working now with libraries such as SDL and those like it that are cross platform but still low-level enough to be playable at great speeds on both MS and Linux.

-AntonK

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Christian Sodomy Registered Senior Member

Agreed. I think if the Linux community were less moralistic, they would realize how easy it is for them to take over from Windows.

But they won't.

Because they're fools.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Blowfish Registered Senior Member

Hey I just want to start by saying I luv the pic. Second off, I would like to start by saying that I neither like nor dislike microsoft entirely, but some of the shit they do does seem to be shady and underhanded. I really do not know about the rest of you, but I would not turn my back for then a minute on them even if everything did seem peachy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river-wind Valued Senior Member

most of MS's products require the entering of a CD key. prior to the availability of the internet, product "activation" as MS now employs would not have been feasable.
    Apple, on the other hand, allows for use of it's OS w/o a cd key, making it that much easier to use on more than one machine, however, they have ~3% of the market. The ease of copying the software was not the major item which pushed MS to dominance. the fact that IBM-clones already held 80% of the market make using those illegal copies that much easier. this was a bigger driving force behind windows adoption. Apple didn't make it's OS available to the IBM-clone world, they required that you buy new apple hardware to use that illegal free copy of the OS.
    problem here is that IE loaded so quickly because much of the code it used was built into Windows, and was loaded at startup. These program calls were not originally made available to 3-rd party developers, so while MS could just load up a thin shell (3 seconds), Netscape had to load up and entire browser, HTML engine and all (15 seconds). The fact that Netscape was openly challegning MS by saying they were going to create a Netscape OS of sorts to replace windows didn't exactly help them in negotiations to get those API calles opened up.

as for information being sent to Microsoft:
    http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Feb/gee20030226018826.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.