why we need ghosts

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by birch, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

LOL! No it did not. It showed that people can misperceive things when blindfolded with robots touching them. That's not "normal conditions." That's highly contrived conditions designed to deceive and trick the brain into mistaking one sensation for another. It does not even address why people would see ghosts in normal situations where no such elaborate trickery is going on. It also doesn't address why ghosts are seen AND heard AND felt. 3 senses involved mind you. Not just one sense, which is what is typical with hallucinations. Hallucinations are rarely if ever multisensory in nature.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Can you refer me to that account by the firefighter? It sounds very compelling to me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Quantum physics doesn't "fit" with everything else we know about the world. Quanta of energy are claimed to have features and abilities that make no sense in the light of what we know about the natural world. It is, ofcourse, claimed that quanta are nonlocal--they literally operate without the constraints of natural laws (laws of physics, for example).

The Big Bang doesn't "fit" with everything else we know about the world either. There were no laws around yet for it to conform to. How does the entire universe and spacetime itself explode from a particle the size of a pea? Where did the pea come from? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence no? Or, perhaps the universe itself is quite an extraordinary place where such things can happen.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The point is any of us, can observe quantum weirdness in action and any of us can observe the overwhelming evidence for the BB if we were of a mind to.
    Not everyone though is gullible enough, or is hallucinatory enough to imagine ghosts, goblins and UFO's of Alien origins, because in essence, they really do not occur or exist..

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

The point being science cannot dismiss a phenomena just because it defies our everyday world view and the known laws of physics. If we did we wouldn't accept quantum phenomena or the Big Bang, evidence or not. Apparently reality is capable of behaving in many ways that defy our all too human logic. The paranormal is one of those ways.

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No, the point is that science knows it does not as yet know it all, but we do have positive observational evidence for quantum weirdness and the BB, that any person, any layman, any child can observe, if he or she has a mind to.
    That cannot be said for the paranormal or the supernatural.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Nope..thousands of paranormal investigations confirm everyday the reality of the paranormal. Eyewitness accounts, photos, EMF measurements, infrared and full spectrum video, and audio playback solidly back up those claims. I'm afraid it's quite real, and not being able to explain it matters not one bit. And anyone can observe paranormal events should they get up the nerve to spend enough time in a haunted location.

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

You are adopting (deliberately I suspect: I don't believe you are genuinely stupid) the creationists' fallacy of affecting to maintain that a reproducible observation requires replicating an entire phenomenon in a laboratory. This is nonsense. To take one example from your list, the seismic waves from earthquakes are routinely corroborated by different people in multiple locations around the world. That is what makes them reproducible observations. You do not have to replicate an earthquake in a lab. The observation is the seismic wave, from which an earthquake is inferred,according to the theory we have of earthquakes.

In a similar way, the various pieces of observational evidence that lead to cosmological theories such as the Big Bang (e.g. cosmic background radiation) have been corroborated by multiple people in different ways. Field geological observations (fossils, properties of rock strata and so forth) can be corroborated by different people - no laboratory is necessary at all in this case. And so on and so on.

What about ghosts? Nope. What you get is anecdotes reported, which cannot be corroborated. The observations, such as they are, are not reproducible.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Do they?...That's a porky pie and you know it.
    Most sensible people know how easy it is to fool other people with a doctored photo, particularly if they have a barrow to push.
    If what you say were true, I should be able to walk to the cemetery and be flooded by ghosts, or walk outside and observe some other paranormal or supernatural event at the drop of a hat.
    I am able to go though to the local University and ask for observational evidence and/or experiment of quantum weirdness, or to an Observatory and ask for observational evidence of the BB.

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

In a similar way, the various pieces of observational evidence that lead to paranormal theories such as ghosts (e.g. EMF fields and balls of light and sounds) have been corroborated by multiple people in different ways. Field observations (moving objects, voices, slamming doors, footsteps in empty bldgs, full body apparitions, scratches on the body,) can be corroborated by different people - no laboratory is necessary at all in this case. And so on and so on. But we all know science can't afford to explore this field. It would lead to a job flipping burgers at McDonald's.

14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Credible c
    Can you provide credible references for any of this? What is an EMF measurement and can you show us examples?

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Not at all. No more than you could go outside and be flooded by falling stars or ball lightning. But your chances are greatly increased if you spend a few nights at a haunted location. Much as one would camp out in a thunderstorm to observe ball lightning.

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

See the 7 examples I gave in the "Why do Ghosts wear human clothes"...

17. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I may have missed it but these all seem to be videos. Is there an EMF measurement?

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I have seen objects move rather mysteriously at first glance and after investigation quite readily explainable by physics.....
    I have had door slam on me, at first glance apparently mysteriously: After investigation, I found I left an open window through which a gust of wind was responsible....
    I have heard footsteps in buildings I thought were empty: I was wrong....they were not empty.
    I have seen an apparition after waking up from a dream: I was of course still half asleep.

Paranormal and supernatural claims are all figments of people's imagination, caused by what they want to see and gullibility, explained by many mundane reasons. Those that cannot be explained, remain unexplained...Like some Alien sightings and/or abductions.
    No physical evidence [like a dead body or Alien syringe or other experimental instrument] has ever been forthcoming not withstanding Fox Mulder's sister in the X-Files.

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Here's one among many others I can post. Note this house has no power:

20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Except it does. There's a TV in the kitchen. So there is power in the house.

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Not enough to be picked up as EMF in the bedroom. The EMF meter has to be right next to the cable or appliance to pick up the field. I have one myself.

Here's another one that indicates a moving EMF field:

ajanta likes this.
  22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Here's an investigation with good audio:

Here's an instance of good audio with an EMF spike:

ajanta likes this.
  23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

EMF meter going off several times in an old desert cemetery. Audio only:

"Arizona Research & Mediumship Society (ARMS) investigation of Congress Pioneer Cemetery. We were doing an EVP session when the EMF reader spontaneously began to go off - the cemetery is in a remote area of the desert with no electrical wiring, underground pipes, or other possible causes of high EMF readings. The EMF reader went off 7 times in a 4 minute period of the EVP session."

EMF meter spiking at 8! in a remote wooded area during an investigation. Trigger object: a bench.

ajanta likes this.