Why was the forum created?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by science man, Nov 28, 2009.

1. yes but wat is the difference in idea of the subject?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

For that you have to read a lot of posts starting from the beginning. But you can start with one of mine posted on 07-16-2001 at

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=3325&highlight=Hinduism

There are plenty of great posts you will not find anywhere on the planet

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think we lost a few between 1999 and 2001 while being switched to a new server.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

this is a satisfactory explanation. i'm a musician and so... anyhows, this part struck me:

funnily enough, i said very much the same thing in another thread a couple of weeks back.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

As a musician...I am glad, you understand. It is that "je ne sais quoi" thing....

8. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

actually, your response (the previous one--post#20?) made my day. thank you.

9. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Indeed.

While the metaphor is poor, you do realize that there are indeed different types of mathematics yes?

10. yes but there isn't different types within those types. e.g. there isn't two geometries or algebras.

11. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

kinda OT, but in the other philosophy subforum there are presently a few threads tangentially related:

when considering the nishidas and nishitanis, for instance--both of whom were very much influenced by husserl and heidegger, and i believe merleau ponty--and their innumerable western counterparts, the results often fall flat, leaving a sour taste in one's mouth. i'm not suggesting that translation and/or syncretism is wholly futile and pointless, but there are limits--take the classic example of schadenfreude: how many words must we employ to really get to the "essence" of such? i think i get it just fine, but i'm third generation german/part-jew, so i've got an advantage; perhaps i get it too well.

lotte eisner, in her fantastic volume on pre-war german cinema, the haunted screen, makes frequent generalizations about the "german character." can we really "get"/grok such? do we armchair anthropologists truly understand the sorrows of young werther?

heidegger addresses this with respect to a variety of others: in "conversation between a thinker, theologian, and scientist" (the "thinker" being the philosopher, because, you know, scientists and theologians can't think

) and "dialogue with a japanese" (in discourse on thinking and on the way to language respectively). even the earnest and determined anthropologist has to recognize his own limitations.

anyways, given that, what is the appropriate subforum in which to discuss the philosophies of australian aborigines?

12. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Really?

I suggest you drop into the Math forum then.

Ask about Euclidian vs. Lowbachevskian space for a start...

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

For someone who's [ENC]snotwuh[/ENC] says
    you've so far shown yourself to be singularly uninformed on both subjects.

14. Yes I just realized that as I was in the shower I'm sorry. hmm I'll to think of another way to prove my point.

15. kmguru Staff Member

You are welcome...:thumbsup:

16. so the different way of thinking is a religion? There are Hindu people in the U.S. too.

Peace unto you