Why the Lover Whispers Sweet Nothings

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by gendanken, Jun 3, 2004.

1. water the sea Registered Senior Member

John,

How soon I would get over you is up to me, not up to you.
    Those "2 weeks max" is your fancy, something you use to fool yourself -- so that you can forget about a certain girl.

I think this is pretty much the only reason I would have to turn you down -- regardless how good-looking you may be.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Hathor:
    Only if you define progress as Bells/Rosa's attempts to lick John's anus- surely.
    We seem to have deviated into their flirty cul de sacs that have nothing-nothing- to do with the premise.

Now, you have all the freedom in the world to remain the libelous whore you've always been, "Hathor", but remember that we started with archetypes.
    The hopeless romantic just so happens to be the main thing on the menu- your sarcasm betrays you.

The latin phrase goes something like youth saying to age : if you only knew, and age looking back and saying if age only could.

We disagree here, Hathor. Age, given the spiritual wealth and opportunity so easily come to the youth would be the slut that it is without rationalizing.
    Emotional maturity is a rarity- a privilege of very few with the discipline to attain it. With the rest, what we actually see is perpetual resentment disguised as morality.
    There's nothing rational in it. And there are no lapses.

And with intellect diseased or missing (a prerequiste for conventional love), "honesty" ensures that love be damned.
    We find them so honestly in love with Utopian manure. Ha.

Why do I need to neglect them?
    The Arab makes love Diplomacy and with it puts his woman in a hajib.
    The American makes love Romance and with it puts his woman on welfare (his).
    If both are tools to like ends, no need for class disctincitions.

And cultures that lack marriage- what of them? Marriage is simply a clever barrier against human passion and instabilty. These cultures that lack marriage use surrogates- communal love, among others.
    OOoh.Ahhh.
    But with the village idiot having bred his lineage into a city then eventually a whole globe with his ways, I'm sure I can.
    Keep in mind my little friend that the main dish was the Hopeless Romantic- I never once said all lovers whisper their shit for the opiates to come rushing in through their lonely bloodstreams.

An architect, however, realizes that all humans shares one common denominator that they twist around into meanings and symbols and pretty lies: aggression.
    The traditional industries of the home and the commune have civilized this agression and cast men in one mold.
    We find this in the Arab, the American, and the Jew and they all share the same chemicals, organs, and colon.
    Knowing this, the boo hoo 'love is subjective' wildcard falls pathetically short.

No dice- it began with the reciprocal interests that humans have upon humans.
    A phenomana lacking in all other members we share the kindgom with.
    And I dare you to crack a joke about animals not being human.
    All you're saying here is that a noble lusts based on class distinctions. Fucking. Bogus.
    Therapsids don't hug.
    Again, no dice- the authority that man has over man in the commune is indireclty proportinal to that commune's intellectual developement.
    The CEO, the press, and the priest has this basic principle scribbled on the bibles and newsprograms ensuring their consumers will never comprehend their enslavement.
    This is getting old, poodle. Yes?

Shutup. And remember the warning.

Rosa:
    1. "I believe its time that our travellers sought the loving arms of Morpheous!", sighed that pompous literateur (Ivanich) who loved quoting from corpses
    "In other words, its time to turn in!", replied that more rational Bazarov as a sneer reply to the ~scholar~.

And so:
    A. "Go ahead - quote me some Confuscious now. How about some Shakespeare or Pope "...words like leaves abound...." ? Thoreau? Hawthorne? Something.”- gendanken, to a goat in some other thread

Concerning this thread:
    B. "We mask the lover's bad scent with a heated spray of love words"- gendanken, Journals

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Gendanken,

As for John: I apologize for threadjacking. You don't seem to know the whole story ...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

How about not typing it out at all? I thought I made it perfectly clear that I hate when people bring up the intelligence thing. I don't give a flying crap how much i would hate a dumb person. Thats not the issue here! And its not what i'm talking about.

8. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Haha, actually what I really do is what im doing now. If I am not attracted to somebody then i won't have to say it aloud but I will get the person to become less attracted to me over time.

So I take it your a believer in true love then eh? I'm not talking about if I was going out with somebody for a long time and then rejecting them u fool!

9. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

No this is exactly what im talking about. I don't believe in true love but just that its a biological thing which (allowing for individual uncertainty) should require roughly the same amount of time for anyone to get over somebody. Of course this is science and we're dealing with widely varying people so u could think of it as a normal distribution

Believe me girl, I aint fooling myself. I think I have thought more about this topic than most other people and I believe the lovesick people are fooling themselves.

Thought so

10. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Well, this is what this thread is about: the lovesick people on one hand, and those who truly love on the other hand (and all those somewhere inbetween).

Lovesick does not equal truly loving! We were trying to establish whence the lovesickness, and why so little true love. You have made a practical example.

(See, Gendanken, what Bells and I are talking about with John does pertain to the topic of this thread.)

I am not sorry, but I am sad to say this: John, what you are saying here is sheer cowardice. Lack of character.

11. Bells Staff Member

Oh calm down. I had merely asked you a question. Had I known you had such a problem with the "intelligence thing", I wouldn't have asked.

If you want her to become less attracted to you or to make her think you unattractive a lot quicker, try and manipulate the conversation with her so that she brings up intelligence. She'd probably end up running a mile after she sees your reaction. A puffer fish doesn't blow itself up that fast...

Actually, yes I am. I am with the one person I love more than anything or anyone else on this planet aside from myself. You should try it sometimes John, might show you how to make less of an arse of yourself.

Neither was I. Maybe you should get a sense of humour, and then maybe you would understand what I had said to you.

Well put Rosa. The lovesick strive for what they see but have not yet felt. The ones who truly love see it and live it and can tell the difference between true love and lovesickness, and the journey to get to that stage is a frightening one. But the prize at the end of the journey is more than worth it. My grandmother always used to tell me that the scariest place to be is to find out that you truly love someone, but that once that realisation has sunk in, it's also the best place to be

. And those who lie in the gray shadow zone in the middle don't really have an idea. They suspect something is out there, but don't yet know or aren't sure.

Sappy? Yes I know and my cynical side rebels against it, but that's the way the chips have fallen and that's the way they lay. And frankly, I wouldn't want to change one moment or thing.

That's actually true. But when you reach the part where the lover's scent is not bad and no love words are needed... well... nevermind.. I'm getting sappy again...

12. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I agree with Bells on this one.

I think it is the sickly lover who tries to cover up the bad scent. The true lover is realistic, and has no need to either cover it up or to deny it.

The sickly lover loves *inspite* of the other person's imperfections.

The true lover does neither aggrandize nor belittle imperfections: in fact, the true lover sees no imperfections, the true lover is *beyond* the terms of perfect/imperfect.

I don't mean to be sappy; there probably is a more witty and edgy way to say this (and I am quite sure that if English wouldn't be my third language, I'd do sharper).

But let's concentrate on the terms perfect and imperfect. By (some) definition, nobody is perfect. Therefore, measuring people by a scale where they can never reach all the points is simply not in place. It testifies of a weak* mind. Those who judge people by their "imperfections" (that is, those who say that people have "imperfections"), do so out of prejudice and devaluation.

Why the strive to seek perfection in others? Why devaluating people on the basis of "imperfections"?

I say that those who seek perfection are hopelessly disappointed at realizing their own imperfections. Seeking perfections in others is a try to compensate their own so painfully felt imperfection.
    And such quests must end in disappointment, as nobody is perfect.

It is the sickly lover, who has a distorted image of himself/herself. And to ease this pain, he/she uses love as an opiate.
    (See the Thomas Mann quote on the previous page.)
    Like it has been said before, they way the sickly lover loves, is a defense and a coping mechanism -- and they prolong his/her suffering, and make it "reasonable", and bearable.
    And the worst conclusion they can come to is that nothig is unbearable -- when they can't live with that anymore, they either kill themselves, or get some character.

*See a similar sentiment in Hamlet:
    But to perserver
    In obstinate condolement is a course
    Of impious stubborness; 'tis unmanly grief;
    It shows a will most incorrect to heaven,
    A heart unfortified, a mind impatient,
    An understanding simple and unschool'd;

13. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

If anything it is u (the lovesick) person who is making a fool of herself. Oh u are only kidding with me again right? So am i in that case

I know exactly what it implied. It implied that it takes ages to get over love and I don't think its necessarily true.

Anyway, I'm off 4 the weekend. Catch u later honey.....

14. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Oh, Bells, look: he called you 'honey'. How sweet of him!
    What a perfect charmeur.

15. Hathor Banned Banned

gendanken

Now, you have all the freedom in the world to remain the libelous whore you've always been, "Hathor", but remember that we started with archetypes.

nice. when at a later date, you start wondering at what point did everything go to pot, remember this moment. also remember it was you that set the tone.

The hopeless romantic just so happens to be the main thing on the menu- your sarcasm betrays you.

in that case. you stupid fucking bitch, refrain from shit like this...

But with the village idiot having bred his lineage into a city then eventually a whole globe with his ways, I'm sure I can.

bogus. your myopic and self serving viewpoint either cannot or refuses to penetrate beyond the most superficial of observations. what lies beneath the surface goes beyond a few centuries of exposure to these notions that you hold so commonplace. consider japan. do you really think that despite the fondness for all things western..ie: valentines day, anniversaries, dating etc, these adopted customs play anything other than the role of a fad?. your stinking arrogance obviously assumes that they too will end up victims as you have. what of the practice of arranged marriages in india? it is widespread and even practiced by those who we think are westernized. where are their fucking "hopeless romantics', you stinking retarted skank? answer me, foul beast! despite the sickening displays of romanticism in their popular culture, (as influenced by hollywood) it is mere lip service that is paid to the concept of love as a viable mode of social expression and interaction.

Keep in mind my little friend that the main dish was the Hopeless Romantic- I never once said all lovers whisper their shit for the opiates to come rushing in through their lonely bloodstreams.

you lying cunt. you mention the "human condition" and then go on to.. "remember the love songs". do you not fucking understand that for some cultures, this "Hopeless Romantic" does not exist?

The traditional industries of the home and the commune have civilized this agression and cast men in one mold.
    We find this in the Arab, the American, and the Jew and they all share the same chemicals, organs, and colon.
    Knowing this, the boo hoo 'love is subjective' wildcard falls pathetically short.

love is an artificial conceptualization, you brainless little skank.. it is not expressed as a genetic disposition. anatomical similarities would naturally limit the variation of anything radically different b/w populations. however, why the said similarities would compel all to indulge in the same fucking abstractions is ludicrous.

No dice- it began with the reciprocal interests that humans have upon humans.
    A phenomana lacking in all other members we share the kindgom with.
    And I dare you to crack a joke about animals not being human.

you are one confused little cunt. your mistake is to extrapolate love as an evolutionary step. reciprocity, altruism, cooperation and morality were all adopted because it enabled us to survive and progress as a species. in fact it seems these qualities were originally more instinctual in nature rather than merely learned. positive outcomes would naturally then reinforce the behavior.

All you're saying here is that a noble lusts based on class distinctions. Fucking. Bogus.

devious skank. you will be repaid in kind for that bit of twisted misrepresentation. prepare thyself, most foul one!

Therapsids don't hug.

the kind i am aquainted with has been known to roll over and give ass. ain't that right, pumpkin? c'mon, you know you want to

Again, no dice- the authority that man has over man in the commune is indireclty proportinal to that commune's intellectual developement.
    The CEO, the press, and the priest has this basic principle scribbled on the bibles and newsprograms ensuring their consumers will never comprehend their enslavement.

fucking americans. trapped in a prison of their own making. the truth is out there for the taking, dolts. the only caveat is that you gotta want to know it first. do you fuckers not know that despite all the govt propaganda and media mergers, there is always pbs!

heh heh

This is getting old, poodle. Yes?

welcome back to hell, little one

Shutup. And remember the warning.

oy vey, pookie. why u do me like dis? perhaps a sweet nothing or two to change the mood? by candlelight? by moonlight? shirley manson crooning

I will burn for you
    Feel pain for you
    I will twist the knife and bleed my aching heart, and tear it apart

I will lie for you
    Beg and steal for you
    I will crawl on hands and knees until you see, you're just like me

what say you?

16. Bells Staff Member

Ah John, no I wasn't kidding about calling you an arse. Oh look! I think I may have just done it again.

And please tell me, you self-proclaimed spunk of a man who's got a thing about intelligence, what makes you think I'm lovesick? Because I'm in a long term happy relationship... where there are no bad smells (except for when he's had chilli

) and love words don't even have to be spoken because we just know...? Some people find love John. Doesn't make them lovesick. Just makes them happy. One is only lovesick if they love someone and it's false... where both lie about their true nature and desires... and sometimes where the love is one sided. I have a feeling John that you wouldn't know true love if it came and bit you on the arse.

Oh for God's sake! That is not what I meant. You simply do not get it John. I will break it down for you. If someone needs two weeks of anti-biotics to 'get over you', then I was not talking about love. I was talking about any nasty little bugs you may have infected her with. Do you get it now? Damn I hate explaining a joke to the stupid...

And now onto your statement that you don't think it's necessarily true that it takes someone ages to get over love. Ermm John, if you really love someone and you lose that person, either in death, they leave you, or you leave them for whatever reason, then if it was true love and not lovesickness, you'd never really get over it. The pain of that loss would remain with your forever. You may move on and meet others, but the pain from the loss of that loved one never really leaves you. In some small part of you, you will always grieve that loss. That is true love Johnny boy.

Heh! His attempt to be patronising is 'cute'. But I don't patronise, so I just call him an arse.

I speak it as I see it....

Hmmm yes... Pepe Lepew was also a perfect charmeur... but the reek always had the girly cats running...

17. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Hathor:
    FOUL BALL- who's the imbecile with the pictures up mocking me?
    Snide remarks?
    Remember this moment little boy- NEVER fuck with a woman's memory.

(aside: your use of expletives is telling- there's something strangely 'unpoodle' about them.)

You, a dripping orifice, are always too busy rushing through your posts, so stuffed with shit and diarrhetic that your symptoms once again are clouding your reading and thinking comprehensions. Yes?
    Bring me a Japanese and an Arab all you'd like, the point fucking stands:

Point one:
    Why do I need to neglect them (other cultures)?
    The Arab makes love Diplomacy and with it puts his woman in a hajib.
    The American makes love Romance and with it puts his woman on welfare (his).
    If both are tools to like ends, no need for class disctincitions.

Point two:
    And cultures that lack marriage- what of them? Marriage is simply a clever barrier against human passion and instabilty. These cultures that lack marriage use surrogates- communal love, among others.

NO SHIT that in some cultures the Hopeless Romantic does not exist- yet even without 'love' as its known to the Westerner we find each of these cultures fondling its surrogates: communal love/familial love.
    Every last human with their prearranged marriages and rites of passage in a fevered race to continue the species, dying to give Self to Other.
    The human condition as a hopeless romantic- consider this premise.
    Get past the label and think about it.

Next time, press the caps lock and write out CUNT in red letters. It would fascilitate my believing we're sisters.

No, puto.
    I'm saying the inner thrust to procreate or fuse- be it for the individual or one's tribe -is felt and known universally as Same.
    We'll put this in pretty italics with boas at both ends if only to reiterate a point as backbup, perhaps this time the fever has cooled and you'll have an easier time getting it:
    ~The traditional industries of the home and the commune have civilized this agression and cast men in one mold.~

-gendanken

One mold.
    This is why the architect is allowed to hit so wide with his mallet when he dissects. This is why when a philosopher (as Durant) outlines the positive and the negetive character, your heart skips a beat becase you swear he's looking right at you.

Fine then- you tell me. What then is the difference between the second and the third sentence?
    Fuck you.
    Fuck you. And I'm not American.

Fuck you.
    Hell is nothing to a Diablo- however, keep at it and you'll be crying soon.

Rosa:
    Hmm.
    *quick calculation*

But I can always guess- your mention of cyber-romance and allusions to falling in love with those yet not seen (reason number 100 something in some thread).....and intuition tells me John's been making you moist with his keyboard.
    If not, some other on the forums.

However, your little friend has a habit for chitchat and its almost as pleasent as sulfur so he's going to stop it or *I* will.
    I have noticed your attempts though- thank you:

Like it has been said before, they way the sickly lover loves, is a defense and a coping mechanism -- and they prolong his/her suffering, and make it "reasonable", and bearable- Rosa

Most, if not all, can't see how they do any of this consciously.

Bells:
    Oh but if it licked him in the ass he, like fireguy and all these others that whisper shit for booty, would no doubt fall over in 'love'.

Fuck you all.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  18. Hathor Banned Banned

FOUL BALL- who's the imbecile with the pictures up mocking me?

oh dear me. in that case i must apologize. i must also confess to feeling like an utter heel for that bit of vicious crap. thing is gendanken, i do so admire you. i find you..spunky with a unique personality.

as a gesture of good faith, i offer up some info...

"Love stories, myths, legends, poems, songs, instruction manuals, love potions, love charms, lovers' quarrels, trysts, elopements, and suicides are part of life in traditional societies around the world. In fact, in a survey of 168 cultures, anthropologists William Jankoviak, and Edward Fisher were able to find direct evidence for the existence of romantic love in 87 percent of these vastly different peoples." (Fisher, H. (1992) Anatomy of Love: The Mysteries of Mating, Marriage, and Why We Stray. Simon & Schuster, New York, 1992. pp. 50)

you like? makes your case, yes? and fucks mine, no?

please however excuse this next attempt at mockery. it had already been formatted and i hate for it to go to waste.

yours forever
    hathor

19. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Hathor:
    ?

Lies.

'tis only his anus whispering sweet nothings, foul, dry and sulfurous...

Sure does, but rarely do I place faith on the 'reasearch' of anthropologists.

A member on Leaky's team remarked once that a certain find was not Stone Age becuase the flint he held in his own hand felt too 'modern'.

On topic:

Perhaps now you realize that in Romantic Love, most love out of external perceptions of being loved rather than internal impetus to love. Found mostly in women.
    Perhaps now you realize that in General love that behind every word, and line and image, that lurking there behind the passion to please and obey, the phenomena of wanting to sacrifice and give and burn with agony, that laying there quiet like a viral plasmid is a selfish instict of the Self petitioning for its own sanity.

20. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

And I also know why the little puke copped out like that. It either could not or did not want to answer this question:

"Fine then- you tell me. What then is the difference between the second and the third sentence?".

21. Hathor Banned Banned

Hathor
    Come on, i' God's name; once more toward our father's.
    Good Lord, how bright and goodly shines the moon!
    Gendanken
    The moon! the sun: it is not moonlight now.
    Hathor
    I say it is the moon that shines so bright.
    Gendanken
    I know it is the sun that shines so bright.
    Hathor
    Now, by my mother's son, and that's myself,
    It shall be moon, or star, or what I list,
    Or ere I journey to your father's house.
    Go on, and fetch our horses back again.
    Evermore cross'd and cross'd; nothing but cross'd!
    Gendanken
    Forward, I pray, since we have come so far,
    And be it moon, or sun, or what you please:
    An if you please to call it a rush-candle,
    Henceforth I vow it shall be so for me.
    Hathor
    I say it is the moon.
    Gendanken
    I know it is the moon.
    Hathor
    Nay, then you lie: it is the blessed sun.
    Gendanken
    Then, God be bless'd, it is the blessed sun:
    But sun it is not, when you say it is not;
    And the moon changes even as your mind.
    What you will have it named, even that it is;
    And so it shall be so for Gendanken

22. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Take this to your grave canine, Petrutio could only break what was breakable or already broken.
    That's with anything.

23. Hathor Banned Banned

and you, my little softy? where do you fit in?