Why the belief?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by praty, Apr 27, 2011.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

get back to us when you've read the op ...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I'm not.

I am simply pointing our how fear plays a part in many "real" things as well

why attribute belief in immortality to the supernatural?

The link yoyo provided shows how it drives cyrogenics, the pursuit of fame and even common genealogy?

As things stand, the only thing there is no evidence for is for your claim that there is no chance for getting any evidence

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I have... and I repeat: Praty has not said at any point that the solution is necessarily farcical, nor can anything he has said be implied as such.

Feel free to point out where the implication lies in the OP that such a solution is necessarily farcical?

Or shall I just chalk this up to you being unable to provide a counter (or perhaps an apology) when you have been called out? :shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. praty Registered Member

Fear part - agreed, but what are you implying?

My question was why humanity sticks with version of afterlife provided in Scriptures written at the time of infancy of our species and which is pretty much supernatural. No scientific research would be able to concur the statements made in these books.

8. praty Registered Member

Right on!:bravo:

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

For starters, because of all the fun we have here on earth, and wish it could last forever.

Has anyone you loved already died? Did you not wish they would continue to be alive, so that you could continue to love eachother?

"Admitting it's not possible to ever find out" would require omniscience.

If anything, we have the fear that we could find out: we're either afraid that we might not like the answer (hence we don't search); or we're afraid because we know we haven't given the search all the resources and attention that we could.

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

So what if science wouldn't be able to concur the statements made in those ancient books?

11. gmilam Valued Senior Member

If you really want to give it ALL the resources you can, you can always try death and then let us know what you find out...

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Sure. Many people consider death to be the standard and ultimate test of oneself.

13. praty Registered Member

That I'm not arguing, if science brings about a revolution and life span of humans becomes near 'forever', not considering the biological hazard it'll cause, that'll be jolly. All I'm saying that all religions providing this by the agent of supernatural are equal glimpses of untrue.

Er, that makes them false and fiction and disqualified to be believed by humans.

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

That means that those who do believe the scriptures, and/or in the afterlife
    are not humans.

:shrug:

15. praty Registered Member

No but as conscious cosmos they should know better than to believe the untrue, having developed a perfect tool against it - science.

16. gmilam Valued Senior Member

And how many have "confirmed" life after death?

17. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

It's not that I'm slow. It's that you're asking me to agree to something, I never said by using general terms. Nevermind that right now though.

The question is almost making sense now. A solution to death? No, true immortality would be the solution to death.

I can see how his wording is unfortunate, yes.
    I don't want to make this into another thread about whether God exists or not. I will ask you this instead: Do you think, it would make sense that humans uses the idea of an afterlife as a defense mechanism against the fear of death?

18. praty Registered Member

yoyo,

Fear of death very much prevails among majority of people believing in afterlife. Hence the unfortunate wording. Its from common folk perspective.

19. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Well that's not what I meant. It's not the fear of death itself that creates a belief. It's the human mind that creates it because of the fear of death.

20. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Yea and you're saying it like it's a fact without backing it up with some sort of evidence.

21. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Everything that is part of us—our cells, tissues, organs and organ systems—has come about over billions of years because it proved successful in the great survival stakes during our perilous evolutionary descent (ascent) with modification. The brain, being no exception, evolved, in part, to allow a creature to learn from what happens in its life, to retain key elements that could influence future actions. We are geared for self-preservation. We will do anything to avoid facing the possibility that who we are now cannot continue.

We ourselves are mainly the cause that we are interested in. The self is preoccupied with staying alive, which is why our species is still around today. It is a prime biological function to be afraid of death, and, so, the self, as thus contrived, is able to fully play its crucial survival role. We want to equip our brain with a soul that offers us an escape when the brain dies since the self cannot come to terms with its own extinction.

22. praty Registered Member

yoyo,

Ditto!
    I think that it is implied, humans mean human mind. As for evidence part, what I meant was most people who believe it, do it because they fear death and wanna live on somehow, that ain't a fact?

And thanks for the article earlier, all knowledge is food for me!

23. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

You're welcome

The problem with implying stuff is that [the nice religious people] here on the forums can and will (sometimes deliberately i suspect) misunderstand every little thing unless you spoonfeed it to them. No it's not a fact. It requires God not to exist and that's not a discussion you want to start unless you want your thread ruined. Just a bit of advice