Why some patients choose Homeopathy over Allopathy?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Dr. Nancy Malik, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

BHMS = Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery

What Homeopathic Surgery is I'm still trying to find out. From what I can tell so far it's regular surgery practiced by a homeopath but the only reference I could find was written in 1855. Looks to be an amusing read, even though I only scanned the preface.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=homeop;idno=AKK5242

~Raithere

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr. Nancy Malik Homeopathic Physician Registered Senior Member

Thin or thick . Is it evidence or not?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr. Nancy Malik Homeopathic Physician Registered Senior Member

Let you explore more about BHMS. And let me see how close you come to know it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

have you given up on our debate?

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

She cannot debate because she has nothing to support her claims.

In truth, her form of "medicine" has exactly the same efficacy as witch doctors and practitioners of voodoo. Really.

9. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Without being able to better analyze the study or read critiques of it, it's impossible to tell. But even if the study is methodologically and statistically accurate the population (68) is far too small to draw any strong conclusions. At best it might indicate that further research is warranted. The problem is that the study doesn't stand alone. You'd have to have some large studies with some very strong results to overcome all the null result studies that are out there.

I tried but I can't find anything informative regarding homeopathic surgery. The best information I found regarding BHMS is here:

http://www.ngu.ac.in/Academic/homeopathic/bhmssyllbus.htm

I will say that I find this comment disturbing, "Hahnemann's Organon of Medicine is the high water mark of medical philosophy."

Here's a link to it in case anyone wants to take a look for themselves:
    http://www.homeopathyhome.com/reference/organon/organon.html

As to why, here's an example:

"Whilst paying attention to those circumstances (§ 5) the physician needs only to remove the totality of the symptoms in order to cure the disease.
    If all the symptoms be eradicated, the disease is always cured internally also."

This is not only is demonstrably false, but shows that homeopathy is intrinsically symptom oriented.

I found this interesting reference as well, HOMŒOPATHIC MATERIA MEDICA:
    http://www.homeoint.org/books/boericmm/index.htm

~Raithere

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Good information - thanks.

Yes, it's nothing but a scam that preys on people with little scientific (and medical) knowledge and understand. And of course there ARE patients and "doctors" who actually believe it works. There are also a large number of people who believe in other totally foolish things as well.

I mentioned witch doctors and voodoo earlier. There was an article in the JAMA or NEJM about two or three years ago that compared homeopathy with both witch doctors and voodoo on the basis of the efficacy of each one. It was little surprise that all three had practically identical results - indicating that any improvement was simply a result of psychological influence rather than anything medical or "other-worldly." Therefore it's rather obvious that not one of them is any better than the other two - and that alone should tell anyone ALL they need to know about homeopathy!

Oh - and incidentally, none of them had any effect whatsoever on things like cancer, AIDS or any bacterial or viral infections.

11. Dr. Nancy Malik Homeopathic Physician Registered Senior Member

I feel glad that you tried to find about Homeopathy.

Boerick Materia Medica is a popular book among physicians. It also contains a short repertory.

My thesis was on Mental Picture of NOSODES

In India we have only degree level courses in Homeopathy now. Earlier (till around 1995) we have diploma level courses also.

Organon contains the guiding principles of Homeopathy. Homeopathy follows the Hippocrate's "First Do no Harm"

BHMS Graded degree means students who pursue medical degree in Homeopathy after diploma in homeopathy

BHMS Direct degtree means students who purse medical degree in Homeopathy after 12th class.

12. Cannon Registered Senior Member

Study they self, if you drink hemlock you will die, but if you eat a daisy you will not. The earth has made chemical compounds and as such has more than likely made many of modern medicines. You have shown no such proof to disprove. Proof must be shown, my proof is that the medicine asprin originated in the bark of the willow tree and was chemically compounded by chemists to make the pill we now know. So in fact modern medicine existed in a natural form before chemists did.

13. Orbit A Service to the Blind. Registered Senior Member

homeopathy=NHS voodoo. NHS=death by superbug. Here... we choose to die at home instead. or go private health care.