Why should I pay for YOUR sex change?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by paulisdead, Apr 14, 2005.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Funny isn't it that if you go to poorer nations you won't find people there wanting to "transform" themselves into another person with operations. I just wonder why billions of people are content as they are in those poorer countries .

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. vslayer Registered Senior Member

because when you give people excess luxuries, they haev no real problems to worry about and either meddle in other countries affairs, or complain that they haev it bad.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

It always bothers me when someone says "...when you give..." people luxuries, etc. Just who "gave" them all of that? Didn't they have to work for it somehow? Or did the government just "give" all of it's citizens those luxuries?

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

so you'd be happy to pay for braces,to get your wisdom teeth taken out,to get ingrown toenails fixed?

8. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

no.,we dont have to work hard at all.me for instance,ive always been an average/good student,ive worked (not particularly hard) in summer jobs,and havent done all that much at uni.,however as soon as i leave it would be relatively easy for me to get a job which will pay in about an hour what it would take 1/7th of the population of the world about two weeks to make.and i still wont be working that hard.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Kenworth, where did I say anything about working "hard"?

And even so, you didn't answer my question: Who is "giving" anyone all of those "excessive luxuries"?

Baron Max

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

But the other populations of the world also pay less for their necessities ...food, housing, etc. And that's not much different to various regions of a nation where the costs of living are high, but the pay scale is also higher.

Baron Max

11. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

the goverment is,my parents get something like £50 a month benifits per child,i only have to pay £1000 tuition a year to go to university,if i dont want to get a job i can get £55 a week for sitting on my ass (more if i move out of home) etc etc

12. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

it doesnt scale that much,a second hand car in africa is not £2

13. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Yes.

Especially since it means those with excessive physical defects are penalized, thus encouraged not to breed.

End social welfare also, except for job-loss insurance socialized.

:m:

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

???

Baron Max

15. Peace Treaty Registered Member

I wonder how one of you MEN would feel after sleeping with a man that has had a sex change?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

unemployement benifit,£55 a week,more if you dont live at home,rent paid,no council tax.

17. Imperfectionist Pope Humanzee the First Registered Senior Member

That's not true, look at Thailand, look at Brazil.

18. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

ten to one you are a fat bitter geek,and you would withdraw your ideas as soon as one of them adversely affected you.

19. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

pretty pissed off i hadnt been told,then annoyed,then a bit wierd,then pragmatic,then horny.

20. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

What does this have to do with the argument in question?

:m:

21. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

because as i said if the things you promote adversly affected you,you would do a u-turn in a second.

22. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

You criticize Baron Max for allegedly lacking "basic human decency", but then base your argument on potential costs of taxpayer money and lost revenue to the state?

The two obvious questions:

1) If it was proved that it was less costly for taxpayers for insurance companies to not cover sexual reassignment surgery, would you then argue that insurance companies shouldn't cover this procedure?

2) Do you think that insurance companies should cover other surgeries that could be used when one's body doesn't match one's mental image? For example; breast implants for women who think their breasts are too small, hair implants for self-conscious bald guys, dental/orthodontic work for people who think their teeth should be straighter and their smile brighter, etc.? They're all examples of people not looking the way they think they should.

23. btimsah Registered Senior Member

How much are you paying for MY sex change operation? I am not having one, but I get the impressions that you don't realize YOU are probably paying pennies for this surgery. Of course that's not the issue.

The issue is about sexuality and disabilities. I don't know if you view people who are trans-genered as disabled, but I do. In that they feel they are supposed to be a different sex for their entire life. If that's not a physical handicap that needs to be fixed, not sure what is.

If an employee of a company wants to use THEIR insurance to help pay for the operation/medicine then I'm fine with it. As someone who is gay myself, I can relate to the fact that some of us are a lot different and unique!