Why should I believe you?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Theoryofrelativity, Sep 2, 2006.

1. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

In your opinion, do you really think ToR is sincere about learning those topics?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Personally, I would be very pleased if she did.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I have done more courses than I count on my fingers and toes

I didn't last long in philosophy class though as teacher found me difficult as I anticipated all the arguments before he presented them, thus making him feel inadequate

I have not actually stopped studying since I left school, but my interests are very wide ranging hence hard for me to focus on one thing.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  9. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

10. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I had a similar experience once when starting art college age 16, I went from being star of the school for 11yrs to NOT star as all the kids on the course were the stars of their respective schools. I realised immediately my dream to make this my career was not going to be realised and rather than waste time in fruitless endeavour quit. It was very humbling.

You should not let your dissapointment prevent further enjoyment, I accepted I was not the greatest artist but still enjoyed making things, strange things

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It is not my fault that you do not know the meaning of logic or reasoning.
    Or the fact that credentials and conduct have no basis in the validity of X.
    Only illogical morons such as yourself give the slightest consideration to credentials and conduct.
    Any logical individual would not even think to take these into consideration, and throw them out of the window without regard because they hold absolutely 0 relevance on the validity of X.

I state it over and over because you idiots refuse to get the point. You cannot refute a point if you do not get it. You are merely refuting air.

12. Roman Banned Banned

There have been numerous, logical explanations, of why we should regard everything, from people like you, trash and not worth out time to investigate because it's a waste of time to discover that you are again spouting incorrect verbage.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We have to discipline ourselves to avoid using language like this. It sounds an awful lot like the very ad hominem attacks that we're trying to discourage. In fact, if a new member picked up this thread from this point he might very well think that it is an ad hominem attack.

If Cool has trouble understanding why we don't trust him, it is our responsibility to keep explaining it in different ways until he gets it. Even if he doesn't get it, it's good practice, keeps us from descending into breaches of the scientific method, and will assure all the newcomers that we really are a bunch of scientists here.

14. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

What this site needs is a web of trust, the web of trust, and web of merit, will allow for an economy of worth. Point's are like money, and good posts should win points. The people with the highest scores should win special abilities, and special access rights to the elite forums.

This way you'd have quality control, I may not agree with every poster here, but at least if they post in an intelligent way, I can host a debate or participate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_of_trust

15. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

16. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

it is not possible to reason with unreasonable people

17. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It is you that do not understand.
    I would like to see you utter morons refute pure absolute logic.

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

You are too stupid to undertand what reasoning is. I have put logical proof repeatedly, and none of you idiots have yet to provide any logic behind your mass stupidity.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Perhaps not. But it can be worthwhile to practice being reasonable in a milieu where the rules are flouted by some. You may not be reasoning with the unreasonable one but there may be a discussion among the other participants that is going on over his head. If there is none or if it is not of interest the best thing to do is leave. If he finds himself in a room alone the universe may succeed in making a point that we cannot.

But in any case we have reputations to maintain. Nothing is to be gained by descending to the level of flaming. That is not a habit we should be cultivating, not something we'd like newcomers and casual observers to catch us doing.

21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Thus the best medicine for Cool is to ignore him, which I largely do. He is simply beyond help. This is not a flame, if you read the post above yours here, it is clear he is still stunned as to why no one pays any heed to anything he says despite being told a dozen times already, he still does not understand and continues with his insults, thus encouraging his own demise. Despite his proclaimed ability for logic he clearly has none, as the logical thing for him to do would be to post without the insults but his continuance demonstrates a flaw is his logic, his reasonning and his personality.

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Sometimes Cool skil is right. Whatever we think of him. This is one of these cases. Unless I am wrong of course.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Ironically you have to have blind faith if you want to discuss anything that goes deeper than 3 inches.

The response to a post which wasn't translated from science talk:
    That's why you always see the same topics discussed, such as evolution. As a process it is possible to talk about in non-scientific language. A whole world of evolutionary research is however hidden to most of us. Thousands and thousands of publications with intricate details and wonderful little and big ideas. No criticism is ever leveled at real evolutionary biology because it is not part of the world of most people. Most journals require paid access. If you are a researcher access usually comes with the job, but not even with all journals. Then there are of course always the hardcopies in science libraries. But who actually goes to those to look at the real stuff? Not the normal people.

And who can actually read the real science talk? Not most of us. It takes training and background, unless the author chooses to write for a broader audience.

Discussing topics such as evolution on forums like this are pretty much fake discussions. All information is gathered from a limited source. Mainly the internet and personal observation. The whole crushing weight of peer-reviewed data goes entirely unnoticed. Just the tip of the iceberg is seen, and it is rather a small tip.

Of course there are science search engines and you would think that by now people started to use them. I mentioned 'pubmed' a million times. An easy way to get access to abstracts, but not always the real article. You would think that if people are really curious they would grasp at this tool!? No. They rather not step out of their narrow world.

Not that even basic concepts such as natural selection are easily comprehended either.

And what if you hear the same criticism for the 300th time? Standard replies are usually available on the internet, such as the talkorigin archive. Answer with the 'standard' reply or say 'fuck off'. It all leads to the same thing.