Why should I believe you?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Theoryofrelativity, Sep 2, 2006.

1. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

constructive critisism is welcome it aids the learning process, being called names and nothing more than that only discredits and invalidates the person being insulting.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

excellent!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The onus would be on the individual to discern for themselves based on the experimental evidence at hand and their ability to understand the evidence and what it supports.

For example, if we delved into the topic of the speed of light and I claimed the speed of light was infinite. You could simply believe that or look into the experimental evidence yourself, which you'd find it is not infinite but actually has a finite speed, one that has been quite accurately measured.

Again, experimental evidence, usually coupled with mathematics depending on the criteria, would validate the contribution. Ones' say-so or credentials is simply not enough. There are a number of well respected scientists who came up with some very credible theories, yet those same scientists have also contributed complete nonsense, refuted through the peer-review process. Some of the scientists continue to cling to those nonsense theories and have aptly been called kooks, regardless of their prior contributions.

If it's more important for you to judge a persons contribution based on how nice they are, you'll be buying swampland in Florida.

Swampland, anyone?

There are courses in critical thinking skills, that would be an excellent start. Of course, if you believe in things that have never been shown to exist, ie. supernatural forces, then you're starting from false pretenses.

For example, a perfect scenario in your case would be to research the forces you've claimed existed on other threads. Apply critical thinking and do the research. You may find that your claims are either valid or not.

One could easily roll-over and believe in your claims to those forces, but instead, those claims will most likely be highly scrutinized. If all you offer is your say-so that those forces exist, then blind faith is all that's left.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

In most cases, constructive criticism has been offered, it's when the person continues to cling to their claims while ignoring the criticism is when the insults begin to fly.

9. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

cool your contribution is very valid thank you, you perfectly demonstrate in your post above by what I mean by someone who is so offensive in their style of writing that any shred of relevance to the topic or actual knolwedge is lost as the whole post is desregarded as not worth spit.

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Your point is worth spit.
    If you do not want to be called stupid, I suggest using logic instead of fallacy to prove your points.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Unless I'm doing the original research and have discovered the facts for myself, I have no way of knowing whether a statement is a fact. The only way I can judge whether what you or anyone else says here is most likely a fact is by extrapolating from your performance record. Have your previous assertions been proven to be facts? Have they been borne out by your source material? Have we been able to review your source material to our satisfaction?
    There you go again. You state something but you don't provide any material to show us why we should be believe you. Since you only know me from SciForums, the only "proof" you're likely to have are my postings on SciForums. It's absudly easy to include a link to another post. Why have you not done that? Why don't you let everyone else see what you see in my writing that causes you to question my reasoning ability, and let them decide for themselves whether they agree with you?

That is science. Just saying so is not.
    It is the probability of the validity of the statement that is in question here, not the statement itself. Again, since we're not doing original research here and are merely telling each other about things we've learned from other sources, nobody gets to see the source material in most cases. We have to judge statements by other factors, including prominently the reliability of the person making it. If a person conducts himself in a way that never establishes a reason to trust him, for example by making assertions but never providing the source material upon which they are based, then his assertions cannot be accepted as unquestionably valid.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I remember of some statistic that suggested that Professionals only have up to 5% less chance of getting something wrong in comparison to people that just work in their profession.

As mentioned in other threads though, Nobody should class one source as the absolute truth, science is by nature about making sure that collaberating evidence is collected before defining an outcome.

13. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Good point

and yes please

actually its not about how nice they are, there are many on here that are not nice to me such as Invert, but generally I trust his view as he demonstrates no agenda, is impartial, has no bias, cannot be easily influenced, is not afriad to go against the in crowd and seems to know what he is talking about etc.

You can never be the authority on someones personal esperience Q, you need to learn to live with that knowledge.

14. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

florida swampland is extremely valuable, as most of it is federally protected.

i wont be buying any soon though...i am poor.

15. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

see I know a good thing when i hear it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We're not talking about how "nice" people are. That's the red herring that they keep trying to throw in here. What we mean by "behavior" is simply whether they observe the simple and easily verified protocols of the scientific method. There's always room for some ungentlemanly conduct on the internet and that's not what we're talking about.

It is when a person's posts consist of extraordinary assertions and flippant, inflammatory dismissals of the scientific bodies with whose teachings the assertions conflict, without any link to any source material to support them, and then degenerate into insults of the people who dare argue with the assertions, that we start to wonder whether there's any science at work.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Thank you.

Sometimes he does know what he's talking about, sometimes he doesn't.

I've never attempted to be an authority on someones personal experiences, I only question those experiences. Usually though, they are followed by an explanation that can't be distinguished from their imaginations.

And since it appears that you're handing out advice, I'll toss out some myself for you.

If you sincerely wish to understand how things work, in other words, get credible answers to your questions, you'll need to drop those false premises about personal experiences and instead use critical thinking to really try and establish whether they are experiences that can be distinguished from your imagination.

But, if you insist on continuing to provide little more than "whacked-out" ideas, then no one will ever acknowledge your sincerity.

I'm not asking you to think like I think or how someone else thinks, just apply those thinking skills to the topics you wish to understand.

18. perplexity Banned Banned

Deleted

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Understood, I've been on science boards so long, I make the assumption eveyone else already knows who the kooks are and the flaws they support.

20. Roman Banned Banned

I think it'd be really cool if ToR & Q could reconcile.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That was not the intent. Perhaps it was badly worded.

22. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It has already been stated over and over that this has no relevance to the validity of any statement made.
    You are not logical because you base fact on fiction.
    You cannot judge fact based on performance record. Only an idiot would give this the slightest bit of consideration. This is not judging. This is prejudging.
    An individual's performance record, conduct. or behavior has 100% 0 whatsoever effect on whether a statement they make is fact or fiction.
    You are therefore, not operating off of logic, but of extreme ignorance.

23. Roman Banned Banned

That's all you're capable of doing, isn't it boy?
    You say the same thing over and over without regard to whatever anyone else says, demonstrates, or shows you, without offering any evidence to defend your position.

Your only defense is a solid mantra of "I'm right, I'm right, I'm right."