Why one should believe in god

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tnerb, Jun 30, 2007.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Hence, gods are man-made.

Of course, you are, like many theists like to do, comparing the imaginative to reality. Doesn't work. You can't "show" anyone a god. Fallacy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think you need to recognise a concept before you can accept or reject it. If I were to travel back in time and ask a caveman if he believed in the internet, he would have no idea what it meant so how could he accept/reject it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No, I think that all is required is to present the concept of Santa to someone, and they can then decide to believe or not believe.

Santa is the claim presented, just like a the claim of gods.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Fallacious argument. You could actually demonstrate the internet to the caveman.

How do you demonstrate Santa? Or a god?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You can present a concept and they can accept or reject it. Thats as true for a hypothesis or a scientific argument etc as it is for anything else. I cannot "show" you the dark side of the moon or the source of gravity either, but I'm pretty sure you believe they exist.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Again, you are comparing the imaginative to reality, as a scientific argument and the dark side of the moon can be demonstrated. Fallacious.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Really, and he would understand that information is being transmitted from one place to another? You must have met more cave men than I.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Nice try to divert the discussion to a more fallacious undertone. Didn't work.

The fact is that the internet can be demonstrated and the caveman can understand it.

Again, can you demonstrate Santa or your god? Not likely.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well I could use theoretical arguments but they are uninteresting to you.

e.g. "Hubble himself made it clear that he was very uncomfortable with the ‘recession factor’ being attributed to him as ‘The Hubble Expansion’." If one just sticks to the facts, Hubble concluded, "There is no evidence of expansion and no restriction of the time scale, no trace of spatial curvature..."

This was five years after the "Einstein-DeSitter Cosmological Model" declared an Expanding Universe based on "Hubble’s Law".

e.g. 2
    Heisenberg produced The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" (HUP). He said: "...something strange happens when I try to measure position and momentum.... There is no problem in the macroscopic world...but in the Quantum Mechanical world, the idea that we can measure things accurately breaks down.... There is an uncertainty associated with each measurement...which I can never get rid of even in a perfect experiment... [Moreover] We do not know if this indeterminism is actually the way the universe actually behaves in a probabilistic manner (there are many paths a particle can follow and the observed path is chosen probabilistically) or if the universe is deterministic in the sense that I can predict the path a particle will follow with 100% certainty."

Which leads me to question. Are we measuring what we think we are measuring? When we "demonstrate" something, is that real or just what we can measure/see?

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No, you are using arguments in which you don't understand the subject matter. Typical theist.

Are you asking a philosophical question?

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I guess its just a different way of thinking. You prefer to induce and I prefer to adduce.:shrug:

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No, you prefer to fantasize, I prefer to think.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Whatever.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Ran out of gas, again? Seems to happen every time the hard questions come out.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Me run out of gas?

Nah, I see no more reason to have pointless arguments with you. Now that I know the signs.

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Of course, you're finally realizing that your god fantasies can't stand up to hard questions.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're right. Ack! I'm converted.

21. Tnerb Banned Banned

Let me get this straight:

Gods are man-made hence gods do not exist? Q?>>> I would have to ask this to someone like lightgiantic or lebinez, or spinoza, or Kant, Nietzsche, any of the truely great minds or even to the contribution of the philosophic minds... Most likely they would reply with some sort of "no"....

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Pretty much. People have been inventing explanations for phenomenon like the stars, lightning, floods, ect., for a long time. It's only with rise of science that we are able to see these things for what they are- well meaning but ultimately wrong.

23. Tnerb Banned Banned

It's going to take a lot to convince me to be an athiest.

Why doesn't some intellectual believer come here and help me out? I'm too dumbfolded to give any of my reasons for agnosticism.

Perhaps I should just go check out some other threads, though.