Why no new big bangs?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Vortexx, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Assume that the universe was born during a quantum fluctuation of vacume energy, why don't we observe smaller or bigger big bangs / inflation events occuring at random "empty" spaces in our universe.

What laws of nature exactly prevent such an event to take place ?? Will the likelyhood of new inflations increase if the universe expands further, possibly leaving more "room" for this to happen ????

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

I honestly think no one knows the answer to the first question. Whatever Law governs the Big Bang it only seems to allow it to happen once. Saying that, look up Guth's Eternal or infinite inflation scenario. That allows multiple big bangs to occur, leaving a kind of foamy universe full of bubbles seperated by domain walls.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,

The quick answer to that is that there <B>ARE</B> big-bangs occurring <i>all</i> the time...
    The creation of a new universe with it`s own expanding space time will of course (?) be separate from our space-time so we will not be aware of this event (? , this maybe due to the new baby universe being created from our space-time).
    I am how ever aware of the multi-universe theory that predict that an advancing wall/boundary from another space-time may collide into our universe....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

With trillions of galaxies out there and onlty a few telescopes looking around I guess there could be billions of them happening that go undetected everyday.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

OK, starting position, let's think about that. Before anything existed, there was a _void_ not a vacuum. A vacuum is a space where there is no matter present. A void is space where matter cannot exist.

So, maybe big bangs can only occur in voids? Therefore, as stated, big bangs could still be occurring in void space, but as we exist inside our Universe, we cannot see them

9. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

What if the Big Bang never Occured?

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

The questions almost resolve to nonsense in that there is, as far as can be known explicitely, only our space-time. Another big bang would necessarily create a space-time (or whatever). I'd imagine by definition, two space-times cannot exist in the same space-time. As such, maybe there are infinite big-bangs or none. Hard to say since as of yet, we can only grasp one space-time at a time.

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Well, technically I don't think it did. All the stuff after it did.

It is merely identified as "first cause" so to speak. Since it is the source of time, it in and of itself could not have "occurred" in the conventional sense.

12. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

My theory is the Big Bang occured more than once. Infact i think we are all still just a little condensed speck of matter. The planets and all the matter are all going in outward direction. As the speed excelerates it will reach a certain point and explode outward occuring in a big bang, only to continue the same process over and over agian. So in reality the big bang did occur more than once and it will keep happening forever.