Why it is silly to look for evidence of God

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by wynn, Jan 23, 2012.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It remains to be shows that there is anything unphysical.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Strawman. I'm not suggesting that you get everything you want, but the sacred texts of those religions do relate incidences when God interfered with events.

It's at least theoretically testable.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gmilam Valued Senior Member

You claim the non-physical exists. Support your claim.

You claim:
    Then you turn around and define this control that we can never have evidence of:
    Basically, you are pulling stuff out of your ass. (aka - Making shit up) So, are you a troll or are you really that stupid? (I'm leaning towards troll... but I concede that I may have misjudged you.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Of course, but you forget one thing, its not for us to find the evidence, its for you to show it us. Moreover, if God is to be of any relevance at all, he must somehow actually affect us, which means his effects are empirical and observable - its like saying you cannot ask for physical evidence for the evidence of gravity, but you can find evidence of gravity between and on difference bodies. God has to be able to do basic God stuff - personal help, everyday care, perform miracles, answers prayer - all ABOVE a change percent of times - then, even if God himself is not evident, his effect is.

Your God of no evidence is of no relevance if we cannot have actual, real, empirical and observation effects of Him in our lives. Otherwise he is not different from the invisible, intangible, transendant car in my garage.

8. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

That makes you an atheist, but do you claim you aren't one?

This one is your God because you came up or presented this hypothetical God we cannot find.

9. gmilam Valued Senior Member

It can also be viewed as a watered down version of the "brain in a jar" scenario. How can we know anything? Maybe everything is an illusion.

Interesting as mental masturbation, but not much more.

10. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

What about unusual definitions?

I can prove God exists, but only to myself. Otherwise, all I can do is write words down or say them, and act as if I know what I'm talking about. Notice how your opening post and most of the ones following it convey this "I know what I'm talking about" phenomenon. But do you really know what God is, and that it's pointless to search?

If I have a dream about God, is that "proof" that God exists, or only that dreams exist? How do I prove dreams exist?

Note that last paragraph is about something that got beat to death here a while ago. The consensus appears to be that there is no known method of proving that you have dreams, there are only correlations of brain activity determined in a fairly coarse-grained manner. So there is no direct proof. Likewise, you can claim that neural activity means you're thinking, but it isn't proof that you are, or that you have a mind. It indicates that your brain is active, instead.

And you can ridicule notions of God, the existence of God, whether someone can prove God exists, etc. all you like. The truth of it is you want to know, don't you?

"God -- not your usual".

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

My approach is actually focused on one's intentions behind one's search for God.
    It seems nobody has cought up on this. Granted, I am still in the process of working it out.

One's intentions are something one can reflect upon. And then check whether they are skillful or not.

For example, if someone has a hostile attitude toward that which they consider "God," can such a person reasonably hope to get to know God? It doesn't seem so.

I can't give a full-blown No to this - but given some popular definitions of God (e.g. Controller, All-Attractive, Supreme Person, Origin/Source, Allmighty, Omniscient) it is impossible for a human to recognize the entity with those characteristics anyway.

I'm trying to work out how the Western approach to theism is inherently a dead-end. And that there are other approaches that are far more meaningful.

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

For me to call God "mine" - I'd have to do, have and be a lot more than I am. I'd have to have a vastly more friendly disposition toward God.

Having a statistically rare definition of God doesn't make God "mine."

And I don't feel obligated to "prove God" to just anyone who happens to come along and demand proof.

This is a typical mistake of Western thinking about God: that one must prove God to just anyone who happens to come along and demand proof, and if one isn't able to do so, one must concede that one doesn't have a legitimate view of God.

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

You just don't like philosophy.
    That doesn't turn people who do like it, into trolls.

:bugeye:

14. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

@wynn - I already addressed the evidence question - how evidence of God's effects must be present even if evidence of God himself is not possible. What do you have to say about that [post 24]?

15. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Ok, you dont owe anyone proof, but you do owe proof to anyone who is expected to accept or consider this idea seriously. And yes, if you dont have such proof, then you dont have a legitimate view of God, since this particular god is no different from the invisible pink unicorn. We must have proven effects of God on us for us to consider God relevant.

16. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

How do you know you aren't this "God" you claim can't be proven to exist?

Can you prove you aren't? Will your proof involve lining up various definitions and ridiculing them in a kind of reductio ad absurdum approach, or don't you think it's worth trying?

17. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

If the characters in a painting had consciousness, what would be the truthful evidence of their creation, from their perspective?

jan.

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I can't make the air that I need for breathing! And a million other things!

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I am not sure I understand the question.

It seems you are ponting to the absurd question - "How do I know I exist?"

You'll need to explain.

20. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Wynn, can I haz an answer?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Reread the usual definitions of God.

22. elte Valued Senior Member

There might be something to the idea, which has been around a long while, of hoping to find God while developing one's interests and talents. That can be a way of doing good while looking for good (and God).

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

''If the characters in a painting had consciousness, what would be the truthful evidence of their creation, from their perspective?''

If God created us, then we are not much different to characters in a painting.
    The difference is that, Gods' power of creation is infinitely more potent than our own.

While the creation of a painting bears the personality and character of it's creator, the painting itself remains separate from it creator. So my question is, how can we successfully find evidence of God (the creator) when everything is evidence, including our ability to find evidence.

To take one or two things and say, this IS evidence, OR NOT, of God, is to miss everything else. So saying God does or does not exist because the evidence says so, is a fruitless exercise, which is why i'm in agreement with the sentiments of this thread.

jan.