Why it is silly to look for evidence of God

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by wynn, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

You mean foolish, folly, fallacy and a few more f-words

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

....like frivolous!

Nevertheless, it's (1) a leading question, i.e., containing an unfounded premise in the question. Other fallacies implicit in the "usual definition" of the OP:

(2) God = He: the anthropomorphic fallacy
    (3) God = controller of the Universe: the science denialism extension to (2)
    (4) bias to alternatives (2) and (3), omitting the null hypothesis: God = idea =0.

Fallacy to the power four.

Even under the bias correction to (4), alternatives (2) and (3) are tested, failed, and sent to the error heap. So falls the alternative hypothesis that props up (1), and all of this conversation collapses to the null position: God is an idea.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Another enlightened one! Oh, what abundance, oh what affluence, of what overflowing fullness of enlightened creatures!

I don't think I can take it anymore!

Oh!

:m:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

There are various definitions of theism and atheism, yes.

The word "Dharma" has many meanings, indeed. One of them is 'duty.'

As I noted earlier, it also refers to the teachings that help living beings transcend samsara. Samsara literally means 'aimlessly wandering on'. Some cultures believe that having a path out of this aimlessly wandering on is a good thing and something to be grateful for - something to love, hence the sanskrit term dharma-rati.

As for loving one's duty - this one can see even in mundane settings:
    Duty is, among other things, a regularity. Having regularity in one's life is something people generally appreciate.
    Duty is also obligation. It is by keeping to our obligations that we consider ourselves worthy beings.

The notion that duty is something bothersome, a limitation of our freedom, is related to us being in situations where we have to keep to regularities and obligations or in ways / with attitudes which we at least intuitively believe have nothing to do with "how things really are" and where true happiness is.

Interesting! I haven't thought of this - one has a desire to enjoy, so one does things one enjoys (such as discuss at forums), and as a result, one learns.

I never thought that learning could be enjoyable!

Oh.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Now that's what I call silly.

:bugeye:... Whatever you're doing, don't hurt yourself.