Why isn't faith embarrasing?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by superluminal, Dec 30, 2007.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I think atheists have faith in science and what science would reveal about the fellow man and himself.

Yes, with the hypocrisy of theists.

No, they see their fellow man as an equal to himself in nature. He might see religion itself as an inferior decision making process, worldview and mindset.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So if science tells you that terrorists are more likely to be secular and rational, you believe it.

In terms of ?

Religion makes decisions, has a worldview and a mindset?

Or people practising religion? Looks like atheists do see theists as inferior for not following their beliefs. Why circumvent when what you are saying that you do not consider theists as inferior except for their religion? Thats like a homophobe saying he does not discriminate against homosexuals if they did not have sex with their own gender.

And they say Stalin and Mao are not representative:soapbox:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yes. I'm well aware of the background and makeup of some terrorists.

More strawmen. Well we do know you have expertise in at least one thing.

Atheists see the mindset (i.e. faith) of theists as inferior. A theist who wakes up to reality, reason, and true human compassion (i.e. becomes an atheist) is no less inferior than one who was always enlightened.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Sam,

I would really appreciate the answer to a few questions. Let's start with this:

Do you think that your belief in allah places you in a position of - for lack of a better term - "salvation"? I.e. For you, believing is essential to the ultimate welfare of your soul? Specifically, believing in allah?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I never think about religion as something that concerns my soul. It is one of the chief reasons I like Islam. Religion to me is a here and now commitment, not an abstract for the afterlife.

What is salvation, after all?

Why not aim for salvation right now?

And yes, my religion does aid me in my salvation, which is to live my life as I want to do.

It is my to go to guide for living.

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Then you are not a muslim? I thought you were a muslim?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sure I'm a Muslim. What does that have to do with how I practise it? Even Muslims have no consensus on how to practise Islam

See I believe in one entity God and I believe that Mohammed said all the right stuff. I also believe that religion is something that has always been there, that there have been innumerable people before Mohammed who brought the same message of love, faith and charity to all peoples. I have been reading on other religions (Indian, Chinese, native American) and none of it is contradictory to what Mohammed said.

11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

So you have no problem whatsoever with the way others live and have absolutely no sense that people that don't believe in god or gods, and fully embrace the ideals of love, charity, human compassion, etc. are in any significant way different from you (i.e. muslims)?

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think everyone is not the same, and to expect everyone to be the same is foolish.

Even more foolish to judge them for being different.

Who has the authority to say what is right or wrong?

"To you be your way, to me be mine" [109:6]

http://www.unification.net/ws/theme146.htm

My only criteria (and this is my personal criteria) is that one should not allow our actions to intentionally or unintentionally harm others.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Terrorists are rational, as far as they're concerned. They have accepted the improbable and irrational as fact and can easily justify killing others. There is little that IS irrational to the terrorist.

So, we are left simply with the question, "Is it rational to kill random groups of people?"

Hypocrisy of theists. You wouldn't understand. It's of no surprise.

Your lack of synthesis is evident again.

The comparisons in your analogy are not relevant to each other. Apples and oranges.

The same strawman argument as always.

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

So why do you call yourself a muslim?

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What is a Muslim? One who submits to God.

Religion has helped me to lose anger, cynicism, intolerance and given me a more compassionate understanding of people. I find it easier to understand (and forgive) how people think and feel, how simple life really is and how shallow materialism can be. I now focus on education and compassion as essential ingredients to the good life. Its what the Quran advocates as necessities for being righteous.

That makes me a Muslim. :shrug:

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Why aren't you a christian?

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I am, in the sense that Jesus was a Christian.

18. Myles Registered Senior Member

I and many others I know are all or most of all of the things you claim to be. We , however, are atheists. Religion is not necessarily conducive to being a decent human being.

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Submitting to the god of Abraham is submitting to one of the most cruelest and immoral supernatural being asserted to exist.

No, cult indoctrination has forced you to accept them as tenets, hence you will accept and defend the hatred and intolerance your cult exhibits.

Any scripture, whether it is the Quran or the Bible, is full of so-called "necessities for being righteous." That is merely stating the obvious.

It is the necessities and what is considered righteous that define the improbable and the irrational that is indoctrinated, and has nothing to do with "education and compassion."

A resounding, "YES!"

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Have you been devoid of religious influences in your life?

Why do you believe that things are right or wrong?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Since you lack both tolerance and compassion, I see no reason for your diatribe.:shrug:

22. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

So you are a christian. Ok.

Now, as a christian, do you believe that the welfare of your being is dependent on a belief in god?

(ask a silly question get a...)

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Only in the sense that I have no desire to live in a society that is without religion.

I would hate for decisions of humanity to be based on cold logic; we have machines for that.

Imagine moderation being conducted here by cold logic.