Why is there so much unjust suffering in this world despite God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Neela-the-blue-eyed, Oct 31, 2006.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

What about them?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

What choice have humans made that led to suffering unforseen natural disasters?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

LG
    What happened in New Orleans? God doesn't care about black people?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

There are three avenues of reaction (karma)

1) - one's own body and mind (adhyatma)
    2) - the bodies of other living entities (adhybhuta)
    3) - natural disasters (adhydaiva)

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Due to their previous activties in life someone takes birth in the gaza strip and someone takes birth in Hawaii.

Due to their previous activities in life someone it the gaza strip is happy and someone in hawaii commits suicide.

9. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

So due to previous actions aome people are born black, and for some reason, God doesn't care about black people?

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Doesn't it have something to do with the fall?

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Black people are not happy?
    White people are not unhappy?

12. sderenzi Banned Banned

God died a long time ago

13. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Sounds interesting

Why don't you start a thread about it instead of posting it here?

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Its not clear how god hates black people, nor how he loves white people since happiness and distress visits both equally (material advancement may give us many thing sbut it certainly doesn't give us happiness or relief from unhappiness - just see the suicide rates)

16. Neela-the-blue-eyed Registered Member

LighGiganytic,

Dont you think the Law of Karma is extremely unfair?

People get punished for what they did in their previous life, so they dont even know 'why' they are being Punished.

Does this make them a better human being? Will they use their 'free will' to do good things, if they constantly feel that they are being unjustly punished? Won't this perpetuate the cycle of birth and death rather than come to a good solution?

Answer me.

17. Neela-the-blue-eyed Registered Member

Your arguments are very simplistic.

Specially your 2nd question. You really believe that it is 'not' possible to have justice 'without': God to violate the definitions of his nature (ie , His attributes of absolute holiness, justice, and mercy) in some way

C'mon!!

18. Neela-the-blue-eyed Registered Member

PS: Please stop replying to my post assuming that I am an atheist.

That is a good way to digress the isssue and shun from answering my real question.

Assume that I 'am' indeed a believer. So please talk to me like you would to a believer, without getting defensive as if you were talking to an atheist. This will keep this discussion from digression into an atheist Vs theist war.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Assuming there is a God, he could have increased our seritonin levels so we are happy all the time, or provided some substance in the environment that acted similarly. He could have reduced the sex drive or replaced it with periods of "heat" so that the population were regulated a a low level and the environment would remain like the garden of eden. He could have put the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" somewhere out of reach. He could have put more planets close by for us to move to.

If there isn't a God, then the problem becomes just a human one, we can mitigate it in various ways, but not eliminate it completely (like bad weather).

I don't think the argument that "if there is evil, there isn't a God", is a very compelling one.

20. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Neela, consider this conception of God:

"Crom was their chief, and he lived on a great mountain, whence he sent forth dooms and death. It was useless to call on Crom, because he was a gloomy, savage god, and he hated weaklings. But he gave a man courage at birth, and the will and might to kill his enemies, which, in the Cimmerian's mind, was all any god should be expected to do."

21. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

No... they don't.
    Only airtight argument against certain definitions of God that logically can not exist if evil exists.

There are too many definitions of God for "evil" to be an airtight argument against even a tiny fraction of them.

So please do not set up straw-men, as is your wont, and then casually blow them over.

Else we will all start doing it....

"The Theist naturally assumes that God has two arms and two legs and goes by the name of Stan, and lives at 23 Mountbatten Street, London, SW1. - We can thus prove theists wrong, 'cos Stan no longer lives there. He sold his house at the height of the housing boom and is now living in the south of France. His house is now owned by Mr and Mrs Taylor, formerly of Preston. QED - God doesn't exist."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

This doesn't make sense - (I am not just saying that simply because you have a different value system than me - I cannot actually determine what your point is in relation to the thread topic and my initial response)

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

spidergoat

If you mean grant"ignorance is bliss" the option is easily available by taking birth in the animal species - dogs don't need to see psychiatrists (although arguable humans who take their dogs to see psychiatrists probably do) - pigs, a s the paramount of positive thinking, are also pretty happy to eat something disgusting out of an open sewer

Another problem that can be solved by taking birth in the animal species

I can't comment on that - leave it to a xtian

It seems that you are suggesting that the problem of evil can be dealt with by slightly infringing on our free will (as humans) - this can be achieved by taking birth in the animal species (the dharma of animals is quite simplistic compared to humans, mainly becaus e they don't have such a wide range of options)

Its not clear how that would help solve the problem of evil, since evil is not located by geography or astronomy