Why is it selfish to not want children?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by visceral_instinct, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

But everyone wouldn 't make the decision not to have children, women who choose not have children are in the minority even in an age of easy access abortions, morning after pills and birth control. The fact that parents would enjoy grandchildren isn't a reason to have a child.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I don't know if I want kids. Maybe in the future, but I know I sure as hell want daughters, not sons.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

What about if:

Your brother has low functionism autism
    You are an "Extreme Type S" yourself, suggesting that ASD runs in your family
    You will probably want to marry another "Extreme Type S", thus intensifying those traits

And the problem with that viewpoint is that it is based on an abstract principle without considering reality. People who do not want kids are vastly outnumbered by people who do.

I do not think the human race should actually go extinct. I think it would be better if there were less of us, though, using up less resources.

By the way, my mother does not see it as my duty to have children. She agrees it would be better if I simply got a puppy like I've always wanted

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My reasons:
    - I'm not mother material. I don't have the normal reactions to things. My niece once told me she was 'upset' because she lost me in a crowded area.

I should have responded with compassion, and apologized, but instead I just thought 'Ugh! Get your horrid, icky emotions away from me!'

Do you really want someone like that having children because that's what you do? Do you think someone who reacts to a child's display of anguish or vulnerability with intense revulsion should be having some of her own?

- I actually don't LIKE them most of the time. High pitched cries and babbling wear on my nerves.

If I were a member of a rapidly dwindling ethnic minority, I would probably have different views about children. I would probably want to have lots of them to increase my group's numbers. As it is, I'm a mixture of English, North Irish, and Arab. Not exactly a rare pedigree that badly needs passing on.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Arab and Irish, that is rare.

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Possibly...That would take a radical personality change, though.

Someone told me that you don't develop the instinct to have children until much later in life. Is this true? I have not heard that before.

9. Tnerb Banned Banned

This is another evil thread without use: Please pass this thread by (to all on the planet).

10. Tnerb Banned Banned

This is not true.

11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well I don't know if its an instinct per se that suddenly arises, maybe it is. But yes the desire all of a sudden becomes very strong. I had a friend who didn't want children and had an abortion in the past and then one day *poof* she was noticing children everywhere and talking about children and then crying about children and finally she went out and got herself pregnant and had the baby.

12. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I agree with Norsefire 100% in this thread.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Really ?

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

You quote me as if the thing I said is self-evidently 'bad'. You have to elaborate and explain why you think so, otherwise you have no argument.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm not arguing, I'm asking Varda if she agrees with your statement.

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i don't think that's selfish. if you want to focus on you and your career and you had kids anyway just to satisfy some obligatory demand then you would be selfish.

17. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Yes but why quote it?

I thought you thought we need more population regulations.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, but you can't say:
    "I forbid everyone that I deem undesirable to breed."
    "Every else, go ahead. Fuck your brains out."
    "Hold it! Not you! I don't like your face."

19. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Sure you can. Why not?

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You stand behind that ?

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I'm not standing behind anything, I'm just saying you can do that. Though I wouldn't be quite so arbitrary with the eugenics; it ought to be biased on scientific knowledge and based on genetic health (thus genetically unhealthy people wouldn't reproduce, but they could adopt)

Also cut down the population size from 6 billion to 1-2 billion, and enable an extensive conditioning campaign, and a caste system from workers to the "normal" people. The workers' growth could be stunted, mentally, from birth to make them docile and they could simply be told that they are happy.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You are not standing behind anything.. so why are you posting here ?
    Goodbye Norse.

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Eugenics is good. Why are you arguing against it?