Why haven't women figured out to stop shaving?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by allisone417, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roman Banned Banned

I was told that women with more body hair (fuzz along their breasts, on their cheeks, above their lip, etc.) is a sign of higher testosterone and, subsequently, a higher sex drive. The advice went something like, "Roman, hairy girls will be better in bed."

Wonder where preference for a smooth body came from. Perhaps it's to know we're not copulating with apes?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Azael Registered Senior Member

I was just about to say something similar. It's not purely that we've been "manipulated by the media". Percieved attractiveness is one of those things that is evolutionarily hardwired. The reason guys find a certain waist/hip ratio in women to be attractive is because it's indicative of a good hormonal balance, increasing the ability of the woman to bear children. The same thing goes for women, who tend to be attracted to certain shoulder-wait ratios in men and a strong jaw, as these areas are particularly influenced by testosterone during puberty.

A hairy woman is probably indicative of high testosterone, thus the media is only taking the natural preference a bit further. I'm not saying that behaviour is totally predetermined by biology, but it's definately not totally a twisted creation of the media.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

But the idealized form is very much a Greek thing, and was passed down as such. The reason, I think, our Western society identifies so readily with marble goddesses and hairless nudes is because we enjoy the same level of wealth and quality that the ancient Greeks did.

In the Dark Ages, all that stuff was lost. People were no longer idealized and their was a turn inwards and upwards. Then Italy became wealthy and people were like "You know what? wealth is really cool. This Franciscan stuff blows." Hence the Renaissance.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Azael Registered Senior Member

I don't know about the history of the "idealised form", but surely it was not completely random. What I posit accounts for why the idealised form emerged to have the appearance it does, rather than being obesely fat and covered with a thick slimy fur.

8. mountainhare Banned Banned

Zarkle:
    Hey, Curious isn't one of a kind. You'll find that a quite a few guys secretly wouldn't mind shaving off the coarse nasty hair. But the stigma which comes from being a 'skinner' prevents them from doing so.

Seriously, as a guy, I don't give a shit about my body hair. If my gf wants shaved, then so be it. It's not like I will undress in front of guys...

Although I definitely feel that girls look far better with no body hair.

9. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

In hentai (and indeed anime in general), there is practically no body hair. Go figure

10. Azael Registered Senior Member

There are also tentacles and bukkake. What's your point?

11. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Hmm, that does rather nullify my point. Please disreguard it.

12. Roman Banned Banned

Biologically, attractive features correlate (or are consequential) of a healthy, successful individual. Moose that grow huge antlers show mates that they can survive predation, disease and hard winters AND grow a 50 lb mass of bone on their head.

People are a little more complex than moose, and since our environments widely differ, we've developed different measures of what's atttractive to specific environs. Beauty becomes correlated more with wealth than with biologically fit individuals. Attractiveness is measured by cultural fitness rather than environmental fitness.

Pre-industrial revolution, beauty was pale, soft skin, signs that one was wealthy and didn't have to work in the fields. Post-industrial revolution, tanned, taught bodies become signs of beauty.

13. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Beauty is only loosely correlated with wealth. A stallion with medium-high income will have a much easier time picking up women than say.. Trump.

14. Kotoko Laptop Persocom Registered Senior Member

Trump has women falling at his feet.

Of course not the women of value and substance normally, but attractive and beautiful none-the-less.

I'm less attacted to handsome men, as I am to a man with a great smile and eyes that laugh when he does. I don't mind them a little pudgy, a little hairy, or a lot disheveled. There is more to the depth of a human than his/her skin (or hair in this case). If someone judges me on my body hair, then it's not someone I ever wanted to be with to begin with.

That said, I had laser treatment on my legs, underarms, face and bikini line two years ago and it was the best $5k I'd ever spent. After 8 treatments over 12 weeks that were relatively painful and worry free, I never have to shave again. It's simply that I can wear what I want, when I want and not have to worry about how much more time I'll need to shave, or having to wear thick black tights to cover the hair. I prefer the touch of my skin to be soft and welcoming, and I chose to keep it that way.

In my experience, women who live in our culture and refuse to shave usually have too many things that they are rebelling against and too many excuses for everything else. They eat the wrong foods, they don't excercise, scoff at lingerie and they refuse to take care of their skin and hair. There is nothing wrong with looking good and feeling good for yourself. That includes taking a bit of time to take care of your body, inside and out. I find that I actually am more confident when I spend 5 minutes on myself in the morning, rather than lamenting what society needs from me. It's healthier and less stress inducing that way.

15. Roman Banned Banned

Wow Kotoko, 5k is a lot of k. Is that k for karing how people judge you on your body hair?

Don't lie now.

16. Roman Banned Banned

Ever been to a third world country? The women there are ugly. Very ugly. Countries where the quality of life is high; Germany, Singapore, the US, etc, have very attractive women.

17. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Thats a matter of opinion and preference, i dont find most women from Singapore, the US, or Germany attractive, the most appropriate thing to remember is beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  18. Roman Banned Banned

Please try to follow the discussion before you just jump in, cause poverty is hawt.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  19. Kotoko Laptop Persocom Registered Senior Member

Sure it is, a little. Mostly, I have very dry skin and discoid excema. Rubbing lotion on hairy legs is sort of... I dunno. Disgusting feeling. Not to mention that shaving and dipilatories dried my skin even more. Oinment to treat the discoid patches is also much easier when there is no hair in the way.

In addition, I hate body funk. And body hair increases body funk. The more hair you have, the harder it is to clean all the bacteria off and keep it off. Thus, people who have more body hair, tend to smell musky after a bit. And while I find that somewhat attractive if it's not overpowering in a male... it's kinda of gross in a female. It's cleaner, and less offensive to just keep it shaved for your own health and for the comfort of those around you.

But yes, a bit of it is to fit in with our culture. But I see nothing wrong with fitting in, in some ways. I am still a unique person even if I keep my legs smooth like most other women.

The good news is that it didn't decrease my sex drive. I did have more hair than most of the women I knew, and nothing has changed other than I got rid of the hair. I am still just as aggressive and insaitable as before. So it's not the hair that really does it, it's the hormones of the woman who has more hair like you said. Shaving it didn't change a thing (thankfully for my husband).

20. Azael Registered Senior Member

Evolutionary factors are behavioural too. Remember that to the biologist, all behaviour originates from the CNS and PNS. So attraction to wealth, (etc) would also be considered biologically hardwired. I never said or meant to imply that all fitness was simply 'strength, power and fertility'.

21. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Sorry i had no idea people who choose to look like they're starving is so much hotter than those who actually are.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Beauty and attraction are entirely different things, wealth will not influence beauty, you can be the ugliest but richest person in the world or poorest yet surprisingly cute, attraction may be influenced by wealth via what money can provide in a capitalist world, someone may be attracted to the car they have or money they earn, not the actual persons looks, therefore they are not beautiful yet still attract people.
    For an example, a person in a third world country can be more beautiful for some than others purely on the basis of skin colour because someone likes that particular colour.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  22. Man w/ hairy wife. Registered Member

Society screwed!!

Hello all of you sick twisted fuckers who love to make my life hard. I just want to say that my wife doesnt shave ANYTHING. She wants too because of what the people like you guys that are verbally beating and warping these women into not being themselves. I believe that not shaving reveals the true "them" and not what they are making themselves into. My wife is absolutely beautiful and the hair on her body does so much more to her natural beauty. Ever heard of pheromones? For you ingnorant people who don't know, these are the body's natural sexual attractant scents secreted very heavily under the armpits and I'm the pubic region. You would be surprised at how well hair holds these scents in. I beg my wife not to wear deodorant all the time because the smell of her b.o. is VERY sexually arousing to me. And for all you who read this post and want to tell me that it's perfectly normal for me to have these fetishes, they are not fetishes. I just sexually attracted to what nature says I should be. Not what other people are telling me I should be attracted to. After all nature put hair and body odor on women. Man has taken it off and made it appear repulsive. I wish the magazines would bring a widespread trend of unshaven women to the surface and make not being shaven the norm again. And as far as the fantasy part I never picture my wife as a beast. Sometimes European but never a beast! So all you asshole guys and women who are mentally beating these women, why can't you just live and let live? Why can't you let the women that want to be natural, be natural? Why must everyone conform to what a select few said people should look like? You're the ones who's sick. Not the women who don't shave. Women start growing body hair when they hit puberty and become ready for sexual activity. Coincidence?

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This thread is over 6 years old, but thanks for your contribution hairy wife man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.