Why flat earth?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Tralay, Jul 24, 2017.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Indeed. 'tis not the place to assert that photons get lost over the length of a large room, nor the place to assert that The Standard Model is "all speculation". That'd be for the Cesspool.

Tralay likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tralay Registered Member

hahaha, it would be more like, does a photon travel straight across the whole world or does it have to curve along it's length?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I have no idea how people who are this skeptical of established facts are able to get out of bed in the morning.

I'm not being facetious.
    How vehemently do you have to reject the body of established knowledge about the world before you also doubt other basic things like how your automobile can even run? Or how you digest food?

Do they think that these things were discovered by a "different science"? What qualifies internal combustion engine physics, or enzymology as things that are trustworthy fact?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tralay Registered Member

I agree, my friend and his "colleagues' are losing their mind, they don't even believe in gravity....Here are some actual quotes from my friend to me on facebook messenger:

"The reason when you throw a ball at 50 mph and it travels faster than the earth beneath you that's supposedly going 1000 mph Is because ITS NOT.
    Your ball throwing example proves the earth can't be spinning those speeds. The reason the ball goes faster is not perspective its just simply not moving"

"The sun moon and stars are very mysterious with lots of questions I'm no where close to thinking I know how the luminaries work. But I'm pretty sure
    they're not galaxies a 100 million light years away. Now that takes an indoctrinated. Mind to believe such absurdities."

"I don't believe we're falling. If there is a creator who created this world it must be. On some sort of solid pillars. I say that because it seems to be. A fairly level motionless world.
    I mean everything is in motion. Except the foundation and model itself. But oceans water atmosphere. The celestial bodies sun moon life everything seems to be in motion.
    Except the foundation because I feel. The endless universe concept is a deception. I take that whole thought process out of the equation of endless space and everybody needing
    to be floating or falling. Earth is all there is. Well earth and the construct around this structure model. Everything that there is. For humans and life forms, anyway. If there are
    worlds beyond other models outside of ours, we were not meant to know about them and we will never get to them. I believe it's a closed system. With no way out asked the ice
    below and no way out. Going up through space."

"Space is a farce.. It's science fiction it dosent exist and operate the way they tell us. Your mind is confusing the model to you because your trying to make sense of space and put
    our world in it.. Our winter is it!! This is all their is... The only space we have is the few thousand miles of atmosphere. Now what's beyond that who knows and w will probably
    never know it's not meant for us to go beyond. Just get rid of this Carl Sagan infinite universe like in star trek and star wars it's just science fiction"

"I know we've been lied to on a grand scale it's NASA only purpose it's whole function is deception if you can't see that your just not looking"

"OK prove the sun is 93 million miles away. Prove gravity. I could go on and on Geez dude you don't prove a god damn thing you say but I'm supposed to lay you proof. Lol"

"Theirs no ignorance in actively working on problems and observing and documenting how our world works. Cause regardless the shape and how it all works I'm a thousand t
    imes more knowledgeable on both models and how our world works than I was before I started looking into it. The real ignorance are the majority of the population that are
    absolutely combined were flying thru space yet they know a fucking thing about this world and how it works. They can regurgitate what they been told by NASA and history
    channel but their much more interested in 300 pound men hitting each other while chasing a ball. Those same ppl can tell you where these idiots played in college how much
    money they make their stats. That's ignorance on a level so bad it's sicking"

"The question is how come no one has ever flown over Antarctica especially with that trip being the shortest trip by far to get to and fro between new Zealand and South America
    and Australia and South America. Especially when any other route besides flying over Antarctica are so vast their impossible. Sydney flights to Chile and Peru don't exist their so
    far yet all they have to do is zip over Antarctica but they don't. And I think I know why...."

8. Tralay Registered Member

"You know I have backed off from asking you a few questions I know you can't answer cause I was much More interested in figuring this shit out than having you go waste time on
    problems I know you can't answer which should have an easy explaining if wecwere indeed on a spinning ball. First of all and I'll ask them now cause they may help you in seeing
    that we have been sold a humongous lie and I don't have all the answers but what I do know is were not floating in the vacuum of space on a spinning ball rotating a massive ball of
    fire at 66.6 thousand miles an hour while being pulled by this same ball of fire thru the galaxy at at speeds ten X greater than the orbit."

"Once you realize nearly everything you've been taught by mainstream anything is either an outright lie or is leaning towards some certain agenda you have to look at almost everything you've been taught with a fresh set of eyes and make up your own mind"

9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I disagree. We have an excellent model, which successfully accounts for a lot of phenomena. That in my view constitutes knowledge, even if it is strictly speaking of a "provisional" kind. We have no reason to dispute this model until we have phenomena we cannot account for by means of it. We just need to keep at the back of our minds the provisional nature of all science. To say we "don't know" needlessly plunges us back into the dark ages, in my opinion.

10. Tralay Registered Member

i see you never went to electronics school, we can mathematically account for what our circuits do, but as far as the electron flow, it is still just theory, they even call it electron flow theory. It is a guestimate of what is actually going on in there. To swear that it's not theory is just being weird and argumentative in my opinion. I have made my whole life around electricity professionally, I even came close to finishing my bachelors in Electronics, and have been an electronics technician for over 20 years now. One of the things my teacher taught us was that nothing is as it seems on the surface. He was right, everything is different down in the depths and none of us can do anything but come up with educated speculation and people ten times smarter than you or I taught me that.

11. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Assuming the circumference of this oblate spheroid(earth) to be about 24,874 miles at the equator:

A few years ago, I found myself standing on a mountain top in Ecuador hurtling towards the east at over 1000 miles per hour with no sensation of motion---(aside from a slight wobble on my part due to oxygen deprivation).

One thing I can tell you from my mountain top experience is that this earth ain't flat. (gasp pant wheeze)

Dr_Toad and Tralay like this.
  12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

My point is that a theory is a form of knowledge.

13. Tralay Registered Member

oh boy, how bout the theory of the spaghetti monster? is that knowledge?

14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

There is no such theory.

It seems you do not understand what a theory is, in science. You would not be the first.

15. Tralay Registered Member

no such theory eh?

"
    A controversial theory of Pastafarianism that has been adopted by many believers since the theory of Evolution was first put forward, is that of Automated Creationism. This theory proposes that the Flying Spaghetti Monster designed a process by which all of creation would come into existence through natural progression, initiallytriggered by Him in one significant event, called the Big Boil*. Such natural progression would also serve to mislead scientists, something that causes the Flying Spaghetti Monster much delight. Due to its similarity to the much touted Big Bang Theory, this proposed version of the universe's creation received much popularity among Pastafarians who sought to accommodate both scientific and religious opinion, as the Big Boil denies neither faith nor science. The theory also received benign acceptance by the majority of the scientific community."

16. Tralay Registered Member

And, the theory of evolution through darwinism is actually the stupidest theory out there in my opininon because it's one of those theories that fall apart when you start asking for proof....so where's the "knowledge' in that?

17. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Haha very funny. We all know this one very well indeed.

Do you suggest this is a real scientific theory?

18. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Asking for proof of a scientific theory is something that only somebody ignorant of science would ever do.

19. Tralay Registered Member

it is a real theory, this is what you said......
    you never said it had to be "scientific"

20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

This is a science forum, right?

21. Tralay Registered Member

That's it, i'm cutting you off, I will never ever respond to one of your comments ever ever again.

22. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I can live with that.

23. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Just for any other readers, the theory of evolution, because that is what it is called, is one of the best-corroborated in science. But, like all other theories of science, it can never be proved, because scientific theories are always open to the possibility - at least in principle - that some future observation may render them false or incomplete.