WHY does anything exist?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by lightgigantic, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

We cannot comprehend it. Still, I think it is the most likely option right now.

No evidence? All experimental evidence of the last century confirm QM. But it sounds illogical to you? Not sure how I can counter that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Liege-Killer Not as violent as it sounds Registered Senior Member

Man, if you are in my dreams, I seriously need some better dreams.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"Just like a dream without a dreamer....." (Lullacry song).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

just stepping into your answer to yorda for a moment.

i seem to notice that you answered everything with a modern theory. you can gain credibility in a debate that way i agree, but it doesent mean you are correct about infinity.

you state theoretical premise as if it were solid factual data that is proven and tested. wich it is not, you cannot close a debate based on theory it is not logical to do so. but by all means contest what he is saying with your theory. just dont expect you can debunk certain philosophy with theory that is highly debatable.

peace.

peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

empty,
    i agree. i'm just offering my opinion based on what i know. actually, my gut feeling is we are all way off. you know, the whole "an ant cannot comprehend the earth" analogy.

the main point i'd make is science has shown us many things in the past 100 years that fly in the face of common sense. i'm not talking about theory, but experimental data. i believe if you follow the trail left by this data it leads to the demise of some common notions, such as the infinite divisibility of matter. following the domino trail leads me to a point where i see no reason to think any actual infinity exists at all.

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah i see where your comming from, but if you follow cause and effect you also reach a conclusion that differs.

its the chicken and the egg, for a reaction there must be the initial cause to provoke it. nothing is random everything happens because something else made it happen.

you cant get the ball to start rolling unless you give it a push, or if the wind blows it, or if gravity pulls it, etc etc etc.

so it just goes on and on and on and on,

peace.

9. bennyjet Banned Banned

we don't exist! we are merely the souls baggage! SOUL?

10. Kumar Registered Senior Member

WHY does anything exist?

Probably, because of free will.

Which can be prime--free will or GOD's will?

11. cserez Registered Member

About the nature of Nothing

What else may restrict something in its existence, than an other existing entity? Thus the Nothing itself does not have this restricting potential at all. To the contrary, we may think about Nothing as an empty sheet with the pure potentialities of anything to exist.

12. Cortex_Colossus Banned Banned

IS MATTER NOT FINITELY DIVISIBLE TO THE POINTS OF ATOMS? I believe that it is at the sub plank level that physics completely breaks down and this quantum world indicates that nothing is the only reality.

13. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Did someone say anthropic principle? Well I just said it.

Anthropic principle.

14. Cortex_Colossus Banned Banned

Nothing, which is everything, is completely random.

15. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

The only reason anything exists, is because you are alive to see it exist. If you were dead, nothing would exist.

If there is a tree that falls in a forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound? Well no, it makes a compressed air wave which isn't sound until it meets an ear, but if there is nothing alive to perceive the Universe, then the Universe has effected nothing, and is therefore dead and not there. haha

Without self aware consciousness, no facts can be established.

A fish in the ocean is merely a complex chemical reaction, a fish doesn't have choice, it's just there. We humans on the other hand have something that science can only try to explain.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  16. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

So the universe popped into existence AFTER it had evolved enough to develop an entity that is self-conscious? That is silly.

17. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

What about colors? Would colors exist if there were no entities to experience them? No.

There is no such thing as red. It is a label the brain makes for light that is of a certain wavelength.

Perhaps the same is true for things besides colors.

18. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Well sure there is electromagnetic radiation. The brain interprets this sensory input as color. Of course a brain is required for this interpretation to exist. You could say that thoughts would not exist without a brain to think them. What else did you have in mind? (pun?)

We are subjective sensory processors and as such we cannot obtain objective truth. But that doesn't mean we have to give credence to notions that have no logical merit.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It exists because we exist as well as anything we can imagine up.

20. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Why anything exists, as previously stated, is because the causes and conditions for that particular phenomenon to arise have come together as there are no non dependent-related phenomena. If by "Why?" you are asking, "What is the meaning of existent objects?" Then there is only the meaning we, ourselves, impute upon that object.

21. rajith_calicut Registered Member

Something exists...that is sure...otherwise i wouldnt think, or ask myself whether anything exists or not. See, if nothing is existing who is asking this question?. Everything we experience may not be really existing.....that has to be doubted.....I only have one single question. How do we sure that everything we experience is the ultimate reality?.

22. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

rajith: welcome.

This thread was dead, and you gave it new life. Some aren't fond of having that happen. That's ok though. I'm going to answer your question anyway.

The frightening reality: Reality is just right now. For example, tomorrow is not reality, for it cannot be experienced by anyone until then. Ten seconds ago is not reality, because no one can go back and experience that. Every moment everything pops out of existence, then pops into existence, and this is what we experience as the passage of time. So technically speaking, nothing exists at all.

23. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I think the question is a great koan. I think it is humbling, inherently, and that theories and logic and intution and all our trusted little tools just stand around with their mouths hanging open if we really just sit with that question and don't rush to 'fix' it or think about that cute.......

Not that speculating or answering this question is necessarily a bad thing, just advocated for a pause in the face of it...
    whether one is a scientist or a theist or both or neither that question is heavy.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.