Why do you think some people automatically jump into rudeness during disagreement?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by WillNever, Jan 14, 2011.

1. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I find it more beneficial to confront rudeness. Sorry if you don't like it.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

that doesn't mean we have to accept death without a fight..
    the world won't get better by ignoring the bullies..

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rav Valued Senior Member

Actually, I don't have a problem with it at all. It's just that a lot of people have participated in so many different online communities that they've pretty much seen it all. The bottom of the barrel, so to speak, when it comes to internet behaviour. Stuff that makes this forum, on it's worst day, look like Hello Kitty Island Adventure. You don't survive 18 years of the internet (in my case) without becoming immune to it. In the end you either adapt yourself to the already established behavioural equilibrium of a particular online community, or you seek out those which actively uphold a standard of behaviour that is similar to what you consider necessary for you to be able to enjoy participating in. There's nothing in particular that is wrong with trying to hold it to a higher standard yourself, but you'll often meet resistance because the community likes everything the way it is. In fact there are some communities on the internet within which the regular exchange of scathing personal insults is par for the course and a persons ability to hold their own in a flame/bashfest is a matter of pride. Even the moderators will advise you to leave if you can't handle the heat. The community is what it is and doesn't want to change and suggesting that it should will just invite further and possibly even more colourful insults.

But, well, in the end this boils down to moderation policy. Few people if any seem to think that the example of "rudeness" you've presented here is anything to make a fuss over. And it's probably useful for you to understand why (hence my posting of the above paragraph). In fact there are regular examples of much worse behaviour on these forums that go permanently unmoderated. So I think that it's pretty easy to get an idea of the identity of Sciforums in that respect, and decide whether you can accept it. All in all I think this is one of the better forums on the internet.

I don't think that this thread contains an example of bullying, does it?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I don't agree. The person who this thread was originally directed at wrote a very well-written and polite apology. People do change their behaviors, when you point out that something is currently wrong with the status quo.

Immediately bending at the first sign of resistance might be something you're accustomed to on the internet. Some people are passive. Others are assertive. Both are legitimate ways of behaving. Now as for which approach is the most effective, I guess that would depend upon which sort of outcome you seek.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

It is a reflection of society my man. Natures way of telling you somethings wrong. Natures way of telling you in a song. Nobody likes a snitch , but your o.K. with me , Live free and prosper

9. Leh Registered Member

The constitution of rudeness varies by subculture. A question of moral norms, of etiquette. Where I come from, for example, calling a proposition nonsensical is to state only that it does not seem to make sense. Opinion tags are considered superfluous and are omitted.

On the internet you've an incessant collision of subcultures, transcending social class and corners of the world. There's no such thing as the implicitly moral in that environment. So the public forum tends to be a rude venue, almost by definition. No matter what, somebody (somewhere) is going to perceive a serious affront. Nothing to be done about that.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  10. Rav Valued Senior Member

You mean the well written apology where he continued to insult you and said sorry in the same post? It really was a bit of a mixed bag that one. But if it's good enough for you, then I guess that's what matters.

Somehow you seemed to have reached the erroneous conclusion that I'm a passive person. You couldn't be further from the truth. In other words, I'm the exact opposite. The fact that I don't often bother to take anyone to task over a little bit of rudeness is simply the result of not taking things too personally. If someone dismissed one of my assertions as nonsensical I would simply demonstrate how it wasn't. You did a pretty good job of doing that, which would have been enough for me.

When I first started participating in online discussion I used to call people out on their unnecessarily hostile bullshit all the time. Sometimes I'd make my point and sometimes I'd get called a sanctimonious f#*ktard, or something similar. In the end I realized that some communities just are what they but by that time I'd gotten over all of it anyway. In any case, if you stay away from some of the more "spirited" communities on the internet, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

I am curious however about how many times you'll bother to come and post in here about future instances of rudeness. Hey, who knows, maybe you'll rekindle that old idealistic flame I used have burning inside me for all the poor souls on the internet who have lost their way if you happen to make a measurably positive difference around here. Good luck.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This is quite true, when you encounter rudeness again and again, it becomes irrelevant to the discussion - the only choice to make then is to react to the rudeness or brush it aside as immaturity. I've encountered plenty of reactions to my views, some of them quite unbelievably out of proportion to what I have stated and initially, while I tried to understand these reactions by conducting thought experiments, nowadays I just see it as a waste of time to allow rudeness to interfere with discussion. It surprises me actually because I am not a person who usually tolerates rudeness, but in an online community, its quite unavoidable.

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I think that correcting other people's behavior (such as calling upon their rudeness) only makes sense when there is a relevant, legitimate and close-enough relationship between oneself and them.

I do not think such relationships are the default in online interactions, and presuming that they are brings about a forced intimacy that is dysfunctional.

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I find that people who have something of substance to say are generally not rude.
    Their directness or analyticity may be uncomfortable, but they do not venture into logical fallacies (esp. not into the usual ad homs).

Case in point is the "Dr House style", a gratuitous rudeness. Personally, I find it rather boring and a waste of time.

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

They have not mastered the self, until your emotions are a slave to you instead of you being a slave to them this will happen all around us.

Peace.

15. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Did you ever think that is why the rudeness exists in the first place . Because of your exclusionary out look on life. Get in touch with your ? person . The new name of the game is global community where common people find value in there commonalities. Kissy Kissy How bout that for an Intimacy Dysfunction for you and I didn't even use my tongue

16. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

What you talking bout . I like my emotions ruling Me . Yeah I am all down on that love emotion thang. Ima gona lay the rule of love down on you too.
    Double peace with a peace on top . Get it like it be it. You been eating Kung Foo chips or something. I can feel the flying air kicks whizzing by from the popping opening bag. O.K> I am listening. After all I don't like being a slave.

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

18. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

this is how religion gets you..

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Elaborate please.

Peace.

20. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

religion capitalizes on that emotional predictability, IE if you do/think/be what we tell you to do/think/be you won't feel bad..

religion tells you you have to be perfect to feel perfect..(we all understand that there is no such thing as perfection?)
    god says he knows you are not perfect and he is ok with that.

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Which Religion are you Refering to Christianity?.

peace.

22. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

all of them..

23. Lady Historica Banned Banned

How one tries to improve bad arguments.- Some people throw a bit of their personality after their bad arguments, as if that might straighten their paths and turn them into good arguments-just as a man in a bowling alley, after he has let go of the ball, still tries to direct it with gestures.-Nietzsche