Why do you spell muslim, moslem?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Free_Matt_417, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Free_Matt_417 The CIA took my baby away Registered Senior Member

"are you mental?" Wayne Campbell, Wayne's World

i don't know why you spelling it that way, and you know who you are.

PLEASE GIVE ME A REASON

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

I think he owes an apology to muzlims everywhere!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

That's how you write muslim in Dutch. That could be one reason.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim#Other_words_for_Muslim

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Indeed. When I was growing up in the 1950s and 60s (a process that has not yet been completed), it was always spelled and pronounced "Moslem." As I recall it was the "Black Moslem" sect that first changed its name to "Black Muslim." We all scratched our heads and figured it was just another inscrutable bit of inner-city jargon that white people had better not try to emulate. Then at some point in the 1980s the newspapers started spelling it that way.

Actually, in the 1950s a lot of people called them "Mohammedans." But we were taught in school that the correct word was "Moslem." Of course we were also taught that the term "colored people" was correct.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Islam, Muslim, Moslem, Mohammedans are all new fads.

A Muslim is one who does the bare minimum (ie submits that there is one God and Mohammed is his messenger). A Momin (believer) is the right word since it implies one who has found Iman (faith) and practices the religion with all its niceties. As such, there are many Muslims but few Momins.

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Head out to Utah. There are plenty of Mormins there.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

12. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I used to manually bring myself to a climax while reading books on the crusades when I was about 8 years old, and they always seemed to spell it "moslem".
    I prefer referring to the enemy as "saracens".

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The Saracens made important contributions to mathematics, they invented the concept of washable tablecloths and bedsheets, and they domesticated the strawberry. Not an easy people for me to hate.

Our enemies are easy to identify as the psychopathic fringe of fundamentalist Islam. Psycho Fundie Muzzies. They have a lot in common with their Christian counterparts, the RRR's or Religious Redneck Retards. Both groups share more important traits with each other than they do with any of us, including an easily triggered instinct for hatred, a stunted capacity for tolerance, an overwhelming contempt for reason and science, and a casual willingness to kill.

There's no harm and much to gain by naming your enemy precisely.