Why do you believe in God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tnerb, Jan 8, 2007.

1. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

People believe in a God because they are scared. Scared that they are not the most important race in the universe, and scared that they really do mean nothing.

I will quote from the Life of Brian, "We came from nothing, we are going to nothing, so what did we loose? Nothing!"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Here! Here! And welcome to Sciforums

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. theoneiuse Theoneiuse Registered Senior Member

absolutely but god said you were a mistake anyways how can god love a mistake well the mess needs to be cleaned up if it was was not for the mistake god made you would of never have existed and since god does not make mistakes you dont exist this is your eternal confinement of non existence
    your are truly nothing

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. theoneiuse Theoneiuse Registered Senior Member

but you do know there is only one nothing like terms baby
    mathematics is the language of the truth
    the truth is the simplest and only equation of any value

8. LiveInFaith Registered Senior Member

I believe in god, first because I was told. Down the road I need it.

9. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Guess not. I suppose I would do by now if you had have answered the question I've asked twice.

That's really interesting but isn't an answer. Try again.

Certainly, which is why i am waiting for you to teach me. What better person is there?

Now, once you're done with all the nonsense, how about you answer the question? Cheers.

10. imaplanck. Banned Banned

I dont suppose you will comprehend, but it is of course an idiosyncrasy of the mentally ill to see themselves as the sane one and everyone else as insane.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Kendall ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

M*W: What does god's voice sound like? Where do you hear this voice? Can you hear your own voice? How does one differentiate from one's own thoughts and the voice of god? What does god's voice tell you? Does the voice of god say something like, "don't forget to pick-up the laundry." Or, does god's voice say things like, "you will be come a leader of great nations," for example?

Kendall: I did not hear gods voice but I have seen it throughout history. I can hear my own voice. One's own thoughts are corrupt, god speaks for all people. God says stuff like beware of those who say there is no god, they will do no good!

12. VitalOne Banned Banned

I believe in God because its just something I've arrived at personally....my sister and dad are both atheistic...

13. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

So you believe it through hearsay!

How exactly does god speak, when you claim you don't hear his "voice"?

Is it through scripture, that you claim "god speaks?" or is it just your imagination, that your own voice is the sound judgement that god speaks to you? Which is it?

Let's let Zak tell you about atheists!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVucvo-kDU

So all the people Zak brought up, did no good?

14. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Something must of happened in the gene pool, brains just didn't apply to you!

Just kidding! Well maybe not! LOL...hehehe...

15. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Wow! That changes everything then, excuse me while I start praying now..

Carpet baggers have used an incredibally similar line to get rich for centuries.

16. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

Finally...

God in my mind would simply be totality in the sense of consciousness.
    All those of a certain philosophy will adhere to certain ethics, beliefs, etc. which make up a "God", so there are many Gods under my definition (because I believe that people are Gods since God is made in our image). Not everyone within a certain philosophy will believe everything about a prescribed doctrine or methodology (existentialism), which make up the imperfections of God in the traditional sense (Why should God have no form or form at all? Why should he have human qualities and emotions?).

When a person dies, he returns to this total consciousness from which he ultimately born once again - all those facets that make us human (his personality, morality, etc.) ultimately create him and dissolve him.

17. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Very touching, Im glad I asked.

18. Ayodhya Registered Senior Member

Is that serious or sarcastic?

19. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: If you came to believe in god because you "were told," you really didn't need a god before that. I think it is pointless to need someone/something you didn't need before the time you "were told." As I see it, you believed what you "were told," so "down the road," you were programmed to expect your need for a god.

20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Okay, then, I thought you said you "heard god's voice." Then, please explain in detail how you "have seen god's voice throughout history." Please clarify how the sound of a voice can be visualized. Also, what evidence do you have that "one's own throughts are corrupt?"

You are wrong when you say "god speaks for all people." All people don't believe in a god. Seventy-five percent of the world's population don't believe in your god, so your god does not "speak for all people."

Can you provide documentation (extra-biblical evidence) where "god says stuff like 'beware of those who say there is no god, they will do no good." I take it that you are not familiar with ideologies and philosophies other than christianity.

Are you also aware that christianity is dying worldwide? Even christian congresses are concerned and have publically addressed the declining number of adherents.

Just to let you know, but no god anywhere, now or ever, speaks for me, not even when I was a christian (or thought I was). I look forward to your referenced reply.

21. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Are your sister and dad just atheist-like or are they true atheists?

22. imaplanck. Banned Banned

I wasnt being sarcastic.

23. imaplanck. Banned Banned

I wasnt being sarcastic.