Why do so many people believe in God.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by mustafhakofi, Sep 3, 2004.

1. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

Quote enton:
    "Christian scholars? No, they're just mere scholars (school-ers).
    And am I talking to all people? The Bible is a complete library for a christian. We (christians) regard the Bible as authentic scientifically, historically, archaeologically and even medically."

* Of course. Which is your complete Bible? Catholic or Protestant? If Protestant, you have some books missing according to the Catholics. If Catholic, all Protestant Christians have an incomplete Bible. Not to mention the apocrypha that was tossed out of the Canon in 325AD? And how come there is no historical or archeological evidence for the town of Nazareth in the Jesus era? I mean this was the dudes hometown, where multitudes hung out. All the surrounding towns are documented, but Nazareth? Nata.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

sorry dalahar you can not believe life is sacred, it's easy to kill, if you believe in an afterlife. you must therefore believe on the side of death.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Wizdumb Registered Member

I believe in God because of the way the world seems to be an apparent design. I don't see how things could have simply fallen in place so perfectly. If you put yourself in the position of a designer, the universe and life as we know it is brilliantly designed and if I was capable, I would likely design it exactly the same. On top of that, I have come up some ideas which support God's existence. I made a thread about it in the forums here, called "I Challenge You".

Although, my thoughts about religion are slightly different. You can find them in my thread called, "An Examination of Religion", which can be found one page 2 right now. Most people find it to be rather provocative.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I don't see how things could have simply fallen in place so perfectly.

Read a book and learn something.

On top of that, I have come up some ideas which support God's existence. I made a thread about it in the forums here, called "I Challenge You".

A feeble attempt at best.

8. Yorda_7 Guest

(Q), you're so defensive...

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I thought I was more offensive.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

The answer to the question of the OP is really quite simple. The idea of god offers emotional utility to the believer that allows them to focus on other questions and gain strength from the utility. One source of all allows the believer a lot of freedom because without it they might otherwise be bogged down with questions. This way whenever there's a question that has no answer, the "lord" can be consulted and the question discounted as its will. The stronger the belief, the stronger the utility unless faced with evidence that contradicts the assumption, which in the case of a strong belief in god is near impossible. Denial (mental acrobatics) easily allows for the belief to stand, as its utility outweighs the evidence, or the evidence is attributed again back to the belief.

[EDIT]: I forgot to mention the obvious, but I know theists would complain if I don't (and surely they will either way). Of course the question posed to god doesn't have to be "discounted as his will" per se, but the anthropomorphization can proceed to such an extent as to be a source of answers in and of itself. Ultimately it will however be boiled down to "god's will", which is the reason I stated it as such above.[/EDIT]

One thing about the circular reasoning used to derive god is: In that circles lies power.

Further, people by the definition of themselves anthropomorphize everything they experience. "god" is the pinnacle of this phenomenon.... making it an interesting topic indeed.

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Bow to my genius, bitches.

*snort*

(yes, this is inviting insults by design because in fact after posting that and reading it, I found it to be so which made me uncomfortable. insults will quell that grotesque ego a bit so please have at it)

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

It's an economic analysis.

Wait, I read that wrong. Hey that's kind of funny.. hehe. Nice.

Edit: An hour or two later, it's funniER... but it's a piss poor insult and make with the bowage. Hello was a good start though.

13. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

how so, explain, with evidence?, as anybody came and told you personally?. or do you believe everything you read, or hear.
    I am the least scary person you could meet, it's those religious nut's you want to worry about.

14. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

reposted this to try to get a response from enton

15. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

given to us by our parents or are they worthless to you.
    if they can advance cryogenics or cloning or life expectency, you may get your wish, but until then when you die thats it.
    it would to something sensible, something natural, not subjective imaginings.
    how can an cruel callous evil thing be positive, surely it's negative.
    well you should, the religious ones will behead you, blow you up, shoot your and all you family without batting an eyelid.
    well is the new one better.

16. Anomalous Banned Banned

If U r smart enough then there is no reason to cheat, lie, con, kill, etc. to make lot of money , fame , women etc.

17. Anomalous Banned Banned

The answer to this threads question is in the study of evolution, I think.

People belive in GOD because they are genetically programmed to think in a way that needs gods idea. ie. Even if Idea of god is erased from minds of all humans, over few generations concept of GOD will reemerge.

Thousands of years ago there were no police or law; hence those tirbes where concept of god existed had better chances of survival due to culture and fear gods punishment associated with it. Thoes tribes who had no concept of god commited more crimes due to lack of fear of hell and hence were lost in time to competition from GOD fearing people. Hence people are genetically inclined towards believing god and instinctively tend to associate events as gods acts.

This are my personal opinions.

18. Anomalous Banned Banned

So How come they havent yet come up with all the vaccines to all the viruses ?

19. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

I prefer the so called scary one, I dont believe in demons or gods, so it dont scare me it's just a face, the evil of the religious man now that scares me.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Science doesn't (and cannot?) make all the questions which we need answers for.

For instance, science can't really give a meaning to our existance.

21. Yorda_7 Guest

Who are you

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

TruthSeeker

Wtf!?

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Why not? The fairy tales of the bible and "gods" give meaning to your life? So, what is the meaning of your life that you derive from these non-scientific pursuits to which you refer?