Why do people resent the wealthy?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Norsefire, Feb 15, 2010.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Demand makes jobs, not the rich. Put it this way, can the rich make a job if there isn't demand from the bottom up? Why did Henry Ford pay his workers enough to afford the cars they make?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You have STILL not understood what I just explained to you. And the "rich" certainly DO create jobs. Even when a demand exists, SOMEONE has to front the money to build factories and/or other infrastructure. Those things CANNOT just appear on their own.

Just consider one very simple example: Let's say there is a demand for a general department store in some town... Somebody HAS to pay for the building, stock to go on the shelves, employees, utilities, etc. BEFORE the first item is even sold. So how do YOU propose to get around that, eh??? (BIG hint: You cannot.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

First i'm not talking out of my ass and secondly why it seems to work quite well for you. Fuck is the guy who needed externalities explained to him going to fucking lecture me on economic topics

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

No they didn't earn it for the most. there is a reason why most of the rich are old money

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Rich people rarely use their own money to start businesses, they borrow it, or create corporations where the shareholders buy into the idea. States could create utilities by selling bonds. Again, the source of the income is the demand. If you can show a demand, the financing follows.

9. WillNever Valued Senior Member

"Demand" is merely a market force that, in the absence of people, does nothing at all. People have to capitalize on that demand in order to generate jobs.

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Interesting post. As a doctor, most of the doctors I know went to public schools, had student loans (that many of them are still paying off as the bill often runs into the hundreds of thousands of dollars), and came from normal working class backgrounds.

My younger children are going to a fancy private school and, among that crowd, I feel like a pauper. I feel the pinch from the expense of sending them there, but the education they're getting is amazing compared to what's available at public schools.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

And that capital is mostly borrowed, isn't it?

12. WillNever Valued Senior Member

That depends on what kind of area you live in. If you are living in some cornpone, backcountry ditch-in-the-field in the middle of Nowhere, USA or alternatively some inner city slum, then private schools are probably your only salvation.

However, that is not the uniform pattern. From 3rd grade until high school graduation I went to public school in one of the wealthiest towns on Long Island, NY. It was a better education than pretty much all of the private schools in the state of New York. That is because we lived in one of the most affluent suburbs out of Manhattan and one of the most expensive in the whole country at the time, and the extremely well-funded, taxpayer-supported school district was excellent. It was so good that the schools received thousands and thousands of applications for each teaching position that opened up there, because the teachers were making six figures easy. For that reason, pretty much every teacher I had was highly qualified and very good. It truly was a first class public education, better than most private schools in the country, and every day I'm happy I got it because after moving out of that area I could very quickly tell the difference between the quality of the graduates any given high school produced, public or private.

So... yes, public education *does* work, under the right conditions and with adequate funding.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Usually. And from what you've said before, I seriously doubt that you even know what "venture capitalists" are. THEY are the MAJOR source for new start-ups. And guess what? They use their OWN money. They (and I being one) also often buy existing business and expand them. Note: expansion means adding MORE jobs.

So cram all that into your daydream pipe and smoke it a while. As of right now, you actually know very little of what you're attempting to tell others here.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

...and send the manufacturing to Asia. I know how that works.

15. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

To be honest I don't trust the very wealthy. They don't even trust each other. The wealthy plan on getting stabbed in the back before they even meet people. And more often than not they're pretty good at predicting the future. There are very few extremely wealthy people that got to where they are using completely honest means. They stole, lied, cheated, crushed and back stabbed their way to the top. They know it and if the opportunity presents itself they aren't above doing it all over again. I grew up around the exceedingly wealthy, went/go to school with their spoiled bratty kids (I was one of them), I currently work with them and deal with them on a regular basis. I don't begrudge their wealth, I think it's great that they've done so well (except people who were born into it which is a whole lot of them, then their just lucky). It's just their "true colors" that I'm wary of. She may have smiled and shook my hand, but she'll sell her own mother's soul tomorrow if it'll help close another account.

So I do I feel bad that they pay more in income taxes than I do? No, sorry. Besides if they're paying crazy amounts into the system, it's not my fault that they are either bad with their taxes or have a bad tax person :shrug:. They ought to do something about it. I did. Even though I'm in a higher income bracket now I'll pay much less than I did last year because I took advantage of those incentives and next year should be less as well for the same reason.

16. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I think it would be useful to specify what strata of "wealthy" we're talking about here. I don't think most people resent doctors making a few hundred thousand/year for doing a job that requires extensive education and provides a clearly-vital benefit to society. Large-scale resentment tends to come into play when people make in the millions/year or more, often for doing things that are of no perceivable benefit to anyone other than the wealthy person.

17. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I laughed when I read that, because in my experience that couldn't be farther from the truth.

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sure, that happens also. But you're forgetting the THOUSANDS of business/jobs that are still here. (No, you're not forgetting - you're just being deliberately stubborn and trying to get your agenda in here by telling half-truths.) :shrug:

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm not saying they don't hire managers to fill positions, but the potential to sell their product would not exist if there weren't a large middle class to buy them. Progressive taxation created the middle class in the first place.

20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

There are TONS of ordinary employees as well as managers. Have you never once been to an auto service center, hospital, Walmart, Kmart, Target, Sears, or thousands of other stores and service centers in your ENTIRE life????

I find that as hard to accept as your blatant ignorance of this whole facet of economics!!

21. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Spend time with any local government and you will see how much the companies and homes of the wealthy are supported by real taxpayer money in ways the homes and livlihoods of the poor are not. Your analysis is nonsense.

Then you must think these corporations are morons. Cause every year they spend untold dollars to campaigns and lobbyists with the direct purpose of getting what they want from politicians. If this is not working for them, they are morons. And how many decades would it take for even a moron to stop throwing away this money?

Of course they own government.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's irrelevent, they make jobs but only because there is a large market which wouldn't exist if the money in our society was only shared by a few rich elites. The demand of a large middle class creates the job. The more money we put into the hands of the middle class, and the more people we encourage to be middle class through subsidized education and services, the better the economy will be.

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I'd love a system that rewards ingenuity, hardworking and people that progress society while at the same time crushes the stupid, lazy dead weight that holds us back. Too bad there wasn't a better way to measure these things other than with accumulated gold/notes.