Why do People Buy Things They Don't Need?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by §outh§tar, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Gambit Star Universal Entity Registered Senior Member

I think the majority of the reason is due to the sub-concious subliminal effort.

When we see a special on TV we have automatically assumed that this is something important and it is one of sale (when the company are just running specials becuase their products are still sitting in the stores).

And since we are a species that revolve mostly around what we want instead of what we need we do stupid things to try and create a illusive controlled sub-concious manner that can be associated with how we "show off" in the social stance.

All us humans really need are the basics of food, water, shelter, clothing....

but even then..... how many out of those catergories do we also exploit ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

In America, it's part of the mentality of "sooner, faster, bigger, more," which is promoted every second on television. Remember seeing these dainty pretty girls in movies or commercials who are rich and are carrying huge shopping bags and boxes? Do those bags and boxes make it look like they bought a lot, eventhough it's like a tiny tank top per box? When you walk into a supermarket, you see huge shopping carts in which you can fit practically everything in the store, and then you can simply dump it in the back of your spacious minivan. Even the boxes in which the food is sold are spacious and flashy (tasteless, really) to make it seem like there's a lot inside.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Why do People Buy Things They Don't Need?
    Because TV tells them so....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

The only really big suckers I see for advertising are women who buy every imaginable cosmetic they can find. Now you can put lipstick on a pig, but.............

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

It is far from just that. I have seen beer cans that sing the Canadian hymn when you open them.....

9. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

....ah! Only in Canada........

But are they advertising beer? Or maybe Canada!

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

In our ancient and natural environment, we would grab anything that pleases or interests us. Why stop now, just because there isn't any fruit to pick, or butterfly to look at?

Why only buy things you need? Of what possible use is money that you never spend?

12. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

Burial expenses..........!

13. tonic Registered Member

14. Gambit Star Universal Entity Registered Senior Member

It is quite ironic how womens cosmetics advertisments have a following slogan saying " be natural " after applying and scientifically chemical formula that is made by machines and minerals used dug out of the ground.

Or how men and women have to have the best shaver and have to have that perfect hairless " Im a good person " image.
    When hair grows naturally.

15. duendy Registered Senior Member

spidergoat....am surprised at you askin this. other insights of yours i've gelled with

why? CONSUMERISM. eating up Earth's limited resources.

buying all kinds of gadgetry that leaves a toxic shit that other poorer people, and other species have to live on top of

And when these people buy this crap, sooner than later they dump it and buy the latest model

Native Americans when killing a Buffalo, used to use EVERY bit of the animal

Now many Native Americans live on top of whiteman's toxic dumping sites

just a few example of the utter idiocy, ignorance, and self-destructive consumerism

All a person has to do is see through the mdeia game. SEE through it. when i watch ads most i dont even know what they're selling. truly. i HATe ads, but sometimes you cant avoid them. i am looking at graphics and the dodgy acting etc. but they dont get me, not even on a subliminal level. if i can do it sos can you

16. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i buy only what i need and could get recreational benefit from. consumerism comes form people having too much money. if you only earn $300 a week then you dont buy extra stuff, that soon becomes a habit.

therefore: all peopl sholud have a 5 year period where their income is capped at a low but reasonable rate, they will then get into the habit of only buying what they need, no extra pointless things

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So you propose a totalitarian dictatorship and strip the people of their money and their freedoms so they won't ....what... buy things they don't need??? Ain't that a little stiff?

People/idealists are always trying to force their own ideals onto others and, somehow, they can't see how wrong that is. Why?

Baron Max

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm playing devil's advocate to a degree, trying to pin down what is wrong with the act of buying things. Nothing in itself that I can see. The only problem is toxic waste, pollution, waste of natural resources. Also, perhaps, buying just for the sake of buying, which is a sign of unhappiness. But, what is wrong with an artist creating a sculture, and someone else buying it? It's useless, to be sure, but not bad for the environment. It also enriches our experience of life. I tend to feel that our society is not flawed to the core, it just needs some adjustment here and there.

A great movie that addresses this issue, which I just saw, was George Lucas' THX 1138 (the director's cut). In that society, you bought a useless object, brought it home, and placed it in the recycling receptacle.

But, what about a traditional market, like you might find in Africa or something? Is that also consumerism?

19. duendy Registered Senior Member

Let me remind you...enCOURAGE you....pleeeease?...to sresearch about Edward Bernays. you see, ther'd have been no NEEd for him and the spin he introduced if it'df always been the case of people just buying for the sake of buying.

as i briefly mentioned, this spin is heavily thought out...usaing psychological techniques that manipulate 'secretly (if you dont believe me, read all about it) peoples desires. this makes people feel that to fulfill desire they need to buy. our whole capitalist culture is based on keeping this need and buying going on and on
    this doesn't mean it's WRONG to buy ...but it introduces the insight as to WHY you buy. really explore that dude spidergoat. it's really important for this subject

20. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Another thing I want to point out.

People criticize me for saying that shiny music CD's improve the quality of my life. But what would've happened if our ancestors never played with beads or made tiny sculpture out of soapstone? Even though it was unnecessary to survival and a 'waste' of energy, its the reason homo sapiens survived and neanderthals didn't.

21. Sebastian B. Registered Senior Member

I wouldnt say that buying unecessary things is a sign of unhappiness. Maybe a sign of boredom, and a lot of extra money, but i doubt anything more. Some people simply get pleasure out of the purchase of material things, just like others may get pleasure out of skiing or climbing a mountain. I know many people like this and they are fine, psychologically. Like others stated, it is simply a byproduct of our consumerist culture. The way i saw this in action however was more therapeutic, they would go shop when feeling bad, and then feel happy again...

22. duendy Registered Senior Member

Exactamo

23. Sebastian B. Registered Senior Member

Ok allow me to clarify. The first reference to unhappiness in my post ("I wouldnt say that buying unecessary things is a sign of unhappiness.") i was referring to a sustained depressive state, afterwards i meant by unhappiness the normal ups and downs everyone goes through. When they are feeling momentarily down they may go buy something to lift their spirits, just like someone else may write in a diary or take photographs.

Basically what i am trying to say it doesnt seem to me that people dont go shopping when they are properly depressed, rather only when they are momentarily depressed.

As for boredom being a sign of unhappiness, thats irrelevant. These people could solve their boredom in many other ways, such as writing a book or taking up a sport. They just select shopping as their preferred outlet.