Why do people believe in strange things?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Light, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

do you believe in the moon?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Some people may say that psychology is a pseudo-science!
    But, hey, I don't know nuthin. I'm an ordinary person!

Here is a quote from Huwy, whose avatar looks kind of like Lionel Ritchie
    It seems to be the recurrent theme here that there is a ready explanation for every mysterious thing that is experienced, and that anyone who believes differently is believing in bullshit. Why?

You seem to mention above people who are paid to BELIEVE or CLAIM to believe. What about people whose vested interests are in NOT BELIEVING? They exist. And are quite vocal sometimes. Or, do we call these people SCIENTISTS? A little joke there!

Some people believe anything without thought. Some people believe these things because of people they know who have experienced them. And some people believe because they themselves have experienced these phenomena.

Some people have experienced them and are able to explain them adequately with known scientific laws, or at least make reasonable theories.

Some people have never seen or experienced any of them and don't believe.

Some people have never seen them but are sure they know what others have seen, and do not believe they are truly mysterious.

There are many reasons people believe in paranormal or "unexplainable" things.

WHA?!?! You want something deeper than that? I'm afraid I'm just a worker bee.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

i believe there is a satillite that orbits the earth
    that object is the moon

if that is what you are asking then yes i believe there is a moon

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

The Moon? I call her Seline. She's a beautiful woman of the corn, who comes to me while I gently slumber.

8. Light Registered Senior Member

That's not necesarily accurate. Several people, including myself, have repeatedly stated that we would be willing to change our opinions. The "why" is very simple - we require evidence/proof/confirmation. We cannot just take someone's word for what they claim. Have you ever heard "the check is in the mail"? People are human. They are prone to lying, misintreperations, simple errors in judgement and it's possible that they were originally fooled themselves.

I'm afraid you'll need to explain that one. Exactly who has a vested interest in NOT believing in things like UFOs and telepathy?

Those are all very valid reasons, thanks for listing them. And yes - I believe there are still other reasons. Here's just one that's pretty common: many people live ordinary, dull, boring lives and are looking for something exciting/interesting.

9. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

i believe i know her.

this Seline posses a most remarkable glowing complexion. adorned in flowing gowns of soft shimmering beauty. glittering twinkles of radiant starlight dance around in worship of her mystery. she brings the dream to my soul and stirrs unconsciousnes with the drunkeness of her breast.

could she be the one?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Oh my GOD! I'm sorry! I ATE HER!

I TOLD you she was the woman of the corn. Tasty sweet white corn!

Now about those Children of the Corn...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  11. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

Moon is just so ...... so nostalgic, and romantic......and yes there is a rabbit on the moon, I swear!

I remember as a child/ adolescent we used to sleep in the open terrace (in the summers), from where I and my brother/ sisters watched the skies and the innumerable stars and yes the Moon. Aeroplanes flying in the night also fascinated me. And so did shooting stars.

I would keep looking at the vast sky long after everyone else went off to sleep, wondering about them. And kept wondering if that was a rabit in the moon!

I haven't noticed the sky for a long time. And never slept in the open since the last 13 or 14 years.

You see, we now live in multi-storied concrete flats, from where all we can see are other concrete multi-storied flats. And there is no roof, and even if there was one, we would rather sleep in our air-conditioned rooms.

12. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

Giambatista:

you could not have eaten all of her, she was HUGE.

i think it might be a different one!

did your lady have a subtle odour of fish?

13. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

of course its a rabbit! who else made all them holes?

14. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

A magazine called Skeptic, for instance, makes a living debunking anything under the sun that calls itself mysterious or paranormal.
    You don't call that a vested interest??? And yes, I'm sure they claim to be open-minded. People say alot of things when it serves a purpose.

I was recently reading an article by a person who was a founding member of CSICOP. If you're not familiar with it, though I'm sure you must be, it is the Committe for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal.
    This person himself still claims to be skeptical, but that as an organization, the Committee is NOT unbiased, though they shroud themselves in a cloak of scientific self-righteousness.
    CSICOP members and affiliates can often be seen on television shows that deal with the paranormal. They are there to apparently provide a voice of "reason" or "rationalism" but that is ALL they do. They do it well, yes, but being open-minded is not their business.
    They don't sell books and videos by being OPEN to things that supposedly defy scientific explanation, because that ISN'T the position they take 100% of the time.

I guess if that isn't a vested interest, then I've never seen one!

You can read about it here.

15. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Sounds very nice. I used to TRY to lay on my own roof and watch the stars, but our roof was apparently to weak for a young boy to walk on.
    No, it didn't collapse! I think it just makes it leak eventually. Or maybe that was just one of those motherly fables?

I got everything except the sleeping the air-conditioner part. Must be some air-conditioner!

16. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

pharmaceutical companies would be interested in maintaining current trends in psychiatry too.

17. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Our Lady of the Subtle Odour of Fish?
    Or is it the Subtle Order of Fish?

You're right. I've never eaten anyone in my life. I'm such a liar. I should go back to being a toad.

18. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Is this a reference to VESTED INTEREST groups?

19. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

When I was two or three someone used to sing a song about the moon to me --- a song about uncle moon who loved us kids. A couple of years ago, as I was strolling in 'the' park (surrounded by trees and sky touching concrete buildings) holding my one and a half year old nephew in my arms, I suddenly noticed the moon. I asked my nephew where uncle moon was, and he quicky pointed towards it in the sky, shouting something in his own language and getting really excited about it. I just felt like singing that song about uncle moon to him. He brought back all the cherished memories of my childhood. If only we could all be children all our life.

I always wondered about people who would sit in those aeroplanes and go so far above from earth. The aeroplane looked so tiny from down below. I never thought I'll get to be on one of them.

20. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

Oops! it should have been sleeping in our air-conditioned rooms.

21. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

Yes I Made A Poor Connection Between The Two,

Another Vested Interest

Pharmaceutical Companies Would Be Interested In Maintaining Current Practices In psychiatric Treatment TOO.

22. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

it is quite frightening really but something tells me it was the

The Subtle Order Of The Fishy Rabbit of the Lady Of the White Corn.

although i would not swear to it.

23. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

And what is the position they take 100% of the time?