Why do neurons send their information thingys to so many other neurons?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Betrayer0fHope, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Do you also find it useful to speculate about quantum effects occuring in your computer as you type? Do do you think the brain is some how more of a quantum device than the computer you typed your post on is? If so, how?

For me both these computers are purely classical devices. I would like to know how the brain is not a natural classical device. Unfortunately to answer you will need to know more about how the brain does function than you seem to. Much more than I spoke of in my post to Gluon.

If you want to defend your point of view, I will even help you: Get some of Sir John Eccles' papers - he was the last of the "dualists" who had a good (bettter than mine) understanding of the physology of the brain. He wrote a book, long ago, which I read. It was called the brain and its body - or someting like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I'm not saying that it is a quantum device. What I am suggesting is that it may have higher order laws which we don't fully understand yet. When something is formed by nature in a very complex way it may have principles hidden within the structure which is very hard for us to see looking from the outside simply because of the complexity of it all. Of course computers doesn't have this potential of hidden principles since we know how we make them.

I guess what I'm saying is that like classical physics somehow arises from quantum physics, a higher kind could rise from complex classical systems.

This is just pondering however, but as I see it the brain surely uses the laws of physics to its advantage, and if it is a way that these laws can form higher laws which is beneficial then nature would find it, even if scientists have no idea of how it would work because of the complexity of it all. We find quite complex structures already that we can understand, surely there are lot of potential of structures/systems that uses the laws in a way that we might not understand.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Meh! no one mentioned Fuzzy Logic.

The brain never sends a single piece of information, as people mentioned it's a Matrix (Well a Vector). The information itself is never an Absolute but an Approximate (thereby Fuzzy Logic).

This is in fact one of the reasons why people can have a word on the tip of their tongue but not actually remember what the word is. It's partially there and it's partially having certain receptors being blocked causing the inability to state what word it is they are after.

Another example of Fuzzy Logic in practices is seeing someone from a distance who you think you recognise, however when they get closer (usually after you've waved) you realise they are a complete stranger. The reality is a mixture of the distance you view them as well as certain physical features are remembered in the brain for facial recognition. (This is also why guys tend to go after particular women that have certain features.... no... not the mammaries)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

The brain has many different functions, some are learned and some are inherent. Checks and balances, my friend. You can learn to control your brain so that a neuron will only fire to a specific center, but people will think you are crazy when you only have one response to any inquiry. good luck

8. granpa Registered Senior Member

I call that an expectation.

all men are vain. I expect that aristotle is a man therefore I expect that aristotle is vain.

9. thinking Banned Banned

it may not seem efficient but perhaps its not about efficiency but rather about the evaluation of the info received

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.