Why do lazy moderators threaten people for their being lazy?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by angrybellsprout, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=76784

What is so complicated about simply using google to get the basic information on the US government?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=us cabinet

I've been threatened for not posting up a long series of links whenever I make a thread, but it is okay to make such a perfect example of lazy ignorance?

Then again this poster has a general history of asking stupid questions that could be answered by a simple google search, and threatens you if you dare to answer his question by stating the obvious.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Because it's not about 'laziness'. Moderators are here to moderate discussions, which sometimes means, that they have to raise discussion, which not necessarily means that they have to know something about subject, which means they can just ask question in the OP and wait that someone who knows something about the topic appears.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

There is no discussion in coddleing children who refuse to take the smallest amount of effort to find answers on their own.

Simply asking for a definition of a term when you could have taken a second out of your time to open up google and answer such a simple question is just promoting a lazy ethic. This thread is also in light of the fact that I've been threatened for not posting links of my own in threads that I've made. If I am required to post links to support my OP, then why shouldn't the mods be held to the same standard?

The OP posited no discussion, but seemed more like a child asking someone to do their homework for them.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(Insert title here)

I would say that it has to do with the human touch.

I responded to that topic, leaning heavily on Wikipedia. One thing I did was include common abbreviations and shorthand, so he would know when he saw terms like "HUD" (or do they write it "Hud" in Australia?) and "the Fed" in the media. And, though there's a tremendous amount of warped framing that goes on around here, it helps to have people give a bit of basic perspective.

Posting a Google link and being hostile about it, or asking questions like, "What is so complicated about simply using google to get the basic information on the US government?" only suggests to people that, while you have no interest in actually answering the question, you're happy to take the time to be rude about it. And, frankly, that's not much of an answer at all.

Since you had to copy the Google URL, why not just copy the Wikipedia or White House links from the search result and offer that instead? It's probably easier, as it requires fewer words to say, "_____ is a good place to start".

Or perhaps information exchange isn't high on your list of priorities?

8. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

The google url would present such obvious links such as wiki or the white house on the first page. Though I guess you are correct, if the individual is incapable of figuring out how to simply type the question into google, then they might not be able to figure out how to open up links such as the wiki link in google.

Information exchange isn't exactly the same thing as holding a child's hand as you walk them across the street that is known as the information superhighway, and spoonfeeding the most basic of facts to someone.

Then again, what is wrong with expecting the smallest amount of effort from someone else?

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My son had a teacher that answered the kids questions with "Its in your text book. Find it and read it" The teacher wasn't teaching, he was simply watching kids read. If he asked questions the teacher snapped "Did you even read it?!" If they didn't understand what they had read, they were SOL.

That teacher is no longer there.

10. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Again, ABS.

This is the discussion board. What is expected to have here is discussion.
    Sometimes "I would love to know something about Beta carotene effect on skin" or "Does God exist?" or "What you think about current economic problems in the US" in the OP is enough.

It is the free will of poster what he/she will set up in the OP, although it's reasonable and follows the basic rules.
    Especially when the OP starter is moderator, because it's expected that they raise discussion in their subforums occasionally.
    Steering the discussion means not only editing, deleting and moving posts and threads, but also creating the discussion.

If your answer is posting links and saying "You have everything on Google", then what's the point of discussion boards and forums?
    Or if you're gonna post the link, then accompany it with respectful comment.

11. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

Relying on textbooks is lazy teaching.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and relying on people to go to google and look it up themselves isn't? :shrug: Discussion is part of teaching.

Remember when you asked "what does this map mean to you?" and people answered. You told them they were stupid. Would you do that to a student? If so, do you think they are going to try and answer your next question or are they gonna sit there and keep their mouth shut?

13. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

It is the free will of poster what he/she will set up in the OP, although it's reasonable and follows the basic rules.

Actualy this is not exactly true either. I had posted quite a few threads that were deleted simply because of lazy moderators reading my thread and there not being enough links in the OP. If this is the standard that I'm being held to, then why should I not expect the moderators to be held to the same standard?

I'd start threads positing a fairly simple concept, and wondering about other individual's opinions of that fairly simple concept. In return I'd get my threads deleted and attacked by the moderators because of the fact that they were too ignorant to understand what I was talking about.

I understand that nobody is full of infinite knowledge and that even I am ignorant regarding certian topics, but I also understand that thanks to the internet, if there is something that you come across and don't recognize, then the very least that you can do is attempt to look it up on the internet. There is quite the difference between stating that you attempted to find something on the internets because you were not sure of what you were talking about, and someone being lazy and demanding to be coddled like a child.

14. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

Retards spamming up a thread instead of even attempting to provide intelligent responses is not the same as dealing with someone who comes up with an honest, though wrong, answer.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

then you don't need to answer your students questions, you can tell them to look it up.

How is that any different than what my son's teacher did. The only thing that has changed is the medium.

16. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

There is a difference between spoonfeeding information to lazy individuals, and asking for help after a failed venture to discover the information on their own.

It all goes back to the old addage of 'if you give a man a fish he is fed for a day, but if you teach a man to fish he will be able to feed himself for the rest of his life'.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yes, they are given a fishing pole and taught to fish. They aren't told to go look up fishing on the internet.

18. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

To continue the analogy, which you obviously fail at understanding analogies, it would be similar to giving them a fishing pole and showing them how to fish a few times, but they still come to your door demanding food because they are too lazy to even use the pole that you gave them and showed how to operate.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

uh-huh, blame the student for failing, not the teacher

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Look, ABS, I'm closing this thread now.

You failed (or you're pretending more likely) to understand the explanation.

I'm regretting the day when I saw you on the forum and your offensive usertitle.
    Instead of simple editing, I should ban you right away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.