Why do I have to live within your socially established norms?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Sep 9, 2008.

1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

You don't have to live there, you know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

F*** any society that tries to define normal and then demand I adhere to that normality. The British didn't invent eccentricity, but we are damned good at it. If it is not endangering any one, go for it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Society is structure and order. You CHOOSE to live in society. If you don't like it, move.

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

You can be inappropriate in a good or funny way. Last December me and my friend were hanging out in the city and we were running around the place singing a version of 'Deck the halls' that went 'Deck the halls with Christians' viscera'. Most people just laughed. You just gotta use your judgement as to whether the silly thing you're about to do is silly in a good way or just inappropriate.

9. 11parcal Saint of Cynicism Registered Senior Member

Norse you don't seem like you would be much fun, a stuck up by-the-book, my-way-or-the-highway type person never is, you only live once, have fun

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Then move to a society where you can "have fun". Society has absolutely no obligation to be tolerant.

11. 11parcal Saint of Cynicism Registered Senior Member

Actually so long as I don't break any laws they do...

12. camilus the villain with x-ray glasses Registered Senior Member

you have to live within the socially established norms because I have to as well. Or else, it wouldnt be fair...

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Exactly...and society can choose what the laws are....that is, in a true social totalitarian democracy.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Norse, take that fucking watermelon out of your anus.

Society has the right to be intolerant when you're actually harming others. Not when you're merely looning around and not hurting anyone.

15. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

So according to you Norsey, me and my mate should go to jail or be executed or *insert ranting raving bullshit here* for running around singing 'Deck the halls with Christian viscera'?

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Society chooses what rights it has. Your concept of society isn't the same as mine, and so we're on two different pages here. Society is the ideological and behaviorial unity of a certain people. Because the society is their's, they have every right to choose who to tolerate or who not to tolerate. If one is a minority (behavior wise), then it is their obligation to move, not society's obligation to accept them. The will of the people triumphs.

17. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I don't understand why you'd live in a society that doesn't conform to your ideals/behavior.

18. 11parcal Saint of Cynicism Registered Senior Member

Wait a second here, now your talking about society ACCEPTING people, I don't give a damn if mainstream society doesn't accept me, and it is NOT my obligation to move if they don't

19. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

So if the majority decided it was ok to execute people for, say, using blue toilet paper, regardless of the idiocy of that rule they'd have the right to do it?

Because there's nothing WRONG with the society I live in! If they wanted to execute or torture me for being silly in public, sure, I think I'd move. But unlike you my society has a sense of proportion.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Then don't complain if they refuse you service/etc

Regardless, you are thinking of society as one massive thing that is just based on legalities; that's not correct. In an ideal society, everyone is a member of the majority. Why would a minority be in a majority society? In a true society, there are certain ways of doing things for the specific people that live there. That's society, and therefore they, in it being their society, have no obligation to accept you.

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

If the entire society agreed that they could do that, nobody would use blue toilet paper and if they did, they're out of place.

What "society" do you live in? If you are referring to the nation of the UK, there are loads of problems. The conservative vs liberal argument is certainly one major problem. It's a clash of two different societies.

22. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

1. You're either being sarcastic, or you seriously need a sense of perspective.

2. I live in Ireland.

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Not at all. If I live in a society and I agree that blue toilet paper is bad and everyone else does, why would we even use it?

Same thing, I'm sure. The problem is "diversity"; not racial diversity, but ideological diversity. A nation can't be stable if you have communists and capitalists and fascists and anarchists in the same country, making up significant proportions of the population. It's unstable and there's ALWAYS going to be someone unhappy