Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Fraggle Rocker, May 15, 2011.

1. Yazata Valued Senior Member

My answer would be 'yes'. I'd define 'death' in the biological sense as cell death, as the permanent disruption and cessation of cell biochemistry and ultimatly the lysis and disintegration of the cell.

On an organismic level, death would consist of cell death on such a scale that further continuation of physiological functions becomes impossible.

The idea of heart stoppage or brain death being an indicator of death is a legal criterion, not a biological one. The law needs to have some criterion to distinguish between a living individual and a dead one, since living people have a legal status that's very different from that of corpses.

In ancient times, breathing was often taken to be the criterion. But we all know that it's often possible to revive people who have stopped breathing. So in the 19'th century, physicians promoted a new standard that employed heart stoppage as the indicator of an individual's death. Of course today it's basically routine for surgeons to stop and re-start hearts in order to perform repairs.

That motivated the widespread adoption of irreversable brain-death, defined in this case as brain inactivity as measured by EEGs, as the legal criterion of death in the 20'th century.

Note the word 'irreversable'. Simply rendering somebody unconscious, even if their heart is stopped, doesn't qualify as death. And the fact that NDE cases revive to tell their tales of what death is supposedly like indicates that none of their situations was ever irreversable. So none of their situations ever satisfied the legal criterion of death.

The problem with brain death defined as irreversible brain inactivity is that it's very hard to define and measure, since many severely brain-injured individuals might show little cortical activity, but still some residual activity deeper in their brain stems. So there's an active debate among physicians, lawyers and courts about what level of brain inactivity qualifies. And there are the underlying problems of determining what level of brain damage is truly irreversable and what level of brain activity corresponds to the presence or absence of a conscious 'self'.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

I resent that. Lies are easy to justify at a certain level of intelligence. Killing is an action that only happens in civilization to call it uncivilized is just untrue no matter how much we wish it to be.

If you can justify your actions as moral, I see no reason to let something unjust skip past a recommended punnishment.

Besides as a society we have to find some way to justify war. Most aren't deep enought to feel the blood of the dying spilling through their own veins.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. yaracuy Banned Banned

I love all you atheists,

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. yaracuy Banned Banned

O really dislike this phony Lyme, he is a appointed christian and found himself a way to make money of the suckers atheists by publishing what they want to hear.

8. yaracuy Banned Banned

So to say, "You don't know there is no god so there could be one," is as disingenuous as saying, "You don't know there is no Santa Claus, La Llorona, or Fraggle Rock, so there could be one."

To postulate the existence of something for which there is absolutely no evidence, and then fabricate an entire gallery of supernatural creatures and a history of supernatural events around it,

Why scientist hunt for Higgs particle are they really know that it exist, are we sure about dark matter or dark energy ? Why going in spends billions in hunting that does not affect man kind . Wouldn't bettere to spend the money for health an food growing for mankind ?
    If theist are and chose to be ignorant in physical matter, you are ignorant in their subject which makes them happy ., What is important in life is to be happy and make someone happy.

9. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Another top ten classic by Fraggle. Thanks.

Some of these are so great that I reference them on other forum sites.

10. gmilam Valued Senior Member

A deeper understanding of reality does affect mankind.

11. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

If that is the case then most of the things humanity are struggling to find are in reality unable for them to grasp. Why learn or use something that is more expensive than it is useless, unless it provides some sort of benefit to mankind as a whole.

Man has never been able to solve his individual problems, what makes any of us think we could solve the world's with a machine.

12. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

so that is who that is..

13. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

anger? (frustration,fear,sadness,guilt,or loss?) inadequate understanding or disagree with content?

history is filled with ppl like that..
    i personally do not think it is an excuse to dismiss the message, there can be other, more qualified excuses if its a harmful message..

then it brings up the question of ; if some one asks you for advice, do you tell them what is best or what you do?
    iow, have you ever gave advice that you didn't follow?

14. gmilam Valued Senior Member

How can you determine what use future knowledge will be?

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's a load of horseshit, I seriously don't get the objection to Dawkins, he is the most mild mannered critic of religion around. There is just no nice way to say that religion sucks ass I guess.

16. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

quoted for truth.

17. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

?
    but i think i do get your point..i'm not sure i agree with it in this context, legal vs biological death, but as you say the laws change as exceptions are found, same with biological death, some day they may find a way to revive a persons cells.:shrug:..then the definition will change again..

18. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

We all determine what future knowledge will be by what questions we ask each other. Till mores and maxims are made to suit societies outlook on life. Till all the deepest question have all the deepest answers. Then we are supposed to live finally. Unlike what we have been doing lately. Distracted by material possessions and fascinated by objects we will never approach. Future knowledge will always turn to previous wisdom for what they can not explain.

19. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Wasn't he the host of Family Feud back in the day?

20. yaracuy Banned Banned

Religion gives a piece of mind for some people and they don't have to take any pills ( medication ). Would you rather see million more people take anti depressant , let them be , let not every body be so smart as you, otherwise would be harder to get alone.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would be depressed if I thought I was under the control of some transcendent totalitarian ruler you could never get away from, even in death- someone who watches you all the time, and plays games with your life (such as with Job). You can't even draw a picture of the bastard.

22. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

An atheist has no-one to blame but themselves for their mistakes. A theist can throw the blame unto God just as quickly as an atheist can blaspheme.

Is there a correlation between religion and drug use? I highly doubt your naturalistic tendencies to steer away from aspects concerning God causes depression.

23. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Theists have no one but themselves to blame for their myth-takes.