Why did Iraq buy 4,000 gameboys

Discussion in 'World Events' started by justiceusa, Mar 7, 2003.

1. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. immane1 Registered Senior Member

First of all, a gameboy is far less advanced than a PlayStation2 to which the article discusses. I would not worry too much about this "potential threat" as a PlayStation2 is nothing more than your average Pentium 3 class computer. I forget whether the PS2 or the x-box has the Pentium or Athlon processor. I'm sure to be corrected though. I can't imagine why more powerful PC's like the one I am using now would not be used instead. Any help out there?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

That is incredible, shameful hysteria.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

oops I mispoke calling them gameboys, I had just read another link that stated that Iraq had previously bought 1400 gameboys.
    Why would they buy 4,000 play stations, when they could buy computers sure puzzles me.
    I am really not very knowledgable about video games, but I do know there is one game that has the F16's flying over a landscape that was devised by using sattelite pictures of Iraq. How realistic are the video games as far as giving Iraq knowledge about our weaponry?

8. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

A little less so than learning about sex with a Barbie Doll.

9. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

hyperwaders

if it is shameful hysteria , why was the DOD and FBI investigating this even before 911?? I am concered that we will get blind sided, by a simple but well contrived plan like we did on 911. What is so shameful about caution, when it was lack of caution that brought about the 911 diaster?? There is one hell of a big difference between hysteria and caution.

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Hysteria is driving policy. Caution is almost entirely absent. We are not dealing with a rational government in this unprecedented period in our history. Every significant US govt act is presently increasing the risk to Americans from Terrorism.

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't you surmise they might be part of the stipen allotted to the republican gaurd? He obviously loves them if he buys them playstations.

On a related and comedic note, my dad and I came up with the idea that instead of bombs, we should drop gameboys on them and lull them into submission like we've already done to the american public!

12. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Then we can have a oil for batteries treaty.

13. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

wesmorris

Do play stations have any games where the player gets extra points for slashing the guts out of a Kurdish woman?? That is the mentality of the republican guard. On the other hand I recently read about a new computer game in this country where the player gets to kill a hooker to gain extra points.

14. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

PS2's can be configured to fire ICBM missles. Gameboys are just fun, cant you see that Saddam is using them to bribe the UN inspectors?!

15. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

You are joking of course Counseler, but The play stations were purchased when there were no UN inspectors in Iraq. click on the link, they are PS2's

16. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Re: wesmorris

Originally posted by justiceusa
    Do play stations have any games where the player gets extra points for slashing the guts out of a Kurdish woman?? That is the mentality of the republican guard.
    wow... you've gotta love mass generalizations.

As for the PS2s being for weapons... it's a stretch. Every console programming mod I've seen requires a computer anyway. I don't think it would be too difficult to smuggle in computers.

17. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

Computers were on the list of items banned for sale to Iraq, by the UN, at the time the play stations were purchased.

18. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Im not joking. Dont yall remember when that guy took his xbox and turned it into a computer? Well, a guy with a ps2 did that before him... PS2 can be used as missle guidence systems, the programing doesnt matter, the specs dont matter, what matters is that there dangerous when they can be turned into things.

19. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Originally posted by justiceusa
    Computers were on the list of items banned for sale to Iraq, by the UN, at the time the play stations were purchased.
    So where missles though

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

CounslerCoffee
    Dont yall remember when that guy took his xbox and turned it into a computer?
    Didn't he use another computer to make get his xbox to work as a computer? I doubt that you can program directly on the console.

20. justiceusa Registered Senior Member

wesmorris

Don't get me wrong here, I am against this war, however it will happen and soon. The topic was play stations, and "you" brought up the repulbican guard. Iraqi butchering of the Kurds is no generalization it is historical fact.

21. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

American settlers killed indians... that doesn't mean that was the american settler's mentality.

22. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I thought you asked "why did Iraq buy 4000 playstations". I was just making a guess as to why. Seems plausible to me.

23. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Re: wesmorris

Sorry, I was reading backwards... didn't realize there'd been so many posts.

What are you talking about? As I said in my last post, I was thinking that playstations would be a great gift for your army guys especially in a country like Iraq where I'd imagine that type of thing is halfassed rare. What a great way for him to show favor to his favorite troops... and buy their loyalty. I can't figure out how you got from what I said to gut slashing.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yikes.

Moderator edit - profanity