Why did God divide the people of Babel?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Greatest I am, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

You have me at a disadvantage with your anecdotal rendering.
    Perhaps they are arguing the minutia of scriptures instead of their moral applications.

I can only ask again.

Have you seen many Christians and Muslims debating and discussing anything to any kind of conclusion where one will change his mind about a piece of his theology?

If so, I hope you kept a link to this wondrous event.

Regards
    DL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

So a decision or choice with an ultimatum is free choice.

I am beginning to think you are a Muslim masquerading as a Christian to discredit them.
    Christians cannot think well but you are exceeding their usual.
    Say hi to Allah for me.

Regards
    DL

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I've met many in the religion forum. I've personally witnessed one person reiterating their return to religion and another one abandoning it. But even if I had not, I would not need personal anecdotes to recognise that religions do not spread by magic dust.

Also, you may not have noticed this, but you are personally engaged in religious debate with people who are not of your religious persuasion. I don't see why anyone has to change their stance through discussion, if you recall, the original claim is only about knowing others, not adopting their beliefs

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes, that is a good example of how personal interpretation of the written word can be used to fit any personal stance, regardless of what the words actually say

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, isn't that the actual result?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Refer to belief vs action, already described. But yeah, its interesting how that pans out. See how "Greatest I am" interpreted the verse, apparently, to know others is equal to conversion of your or their faith. So it would seem that what is written is less important than what people read into it.

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Then why discuss, if not to change oneself or other?

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

That there is something that is "that which is actually written" and that then there is "that which people read into it" is a truistic dichotomy impossible to carry out in practice.

We cannot but read into what we read.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why do people discuss anything? Its because every additional opinion adds to the body of knowledge. One way to destroy any civilisation is to destroy every single piece of written work about it and ban those who are living from teaching about it. When you wipe out the collated opinions of all people on a subject that subject no longer exists. So why discuss religion? Interest is one reason, confusion or uncertainly is another, a desire to learn could be a third.

There is a religious monograph called Fitna e Takfir written by Mawdoodi who is a conservative religious scholar which goes:

But I think the above can be summed up in fewer words, "differences in opinion are not as relevant as similarities in belief" because it seems to me that it is the nature of people to neglect similarities and exaggerate differences.

13. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

beyond faith bro . I say it and it happens . My word is my bond . I spent my life sneaking up on it . It was faith in the beginning. Yet now it is knowing and no longer faith . To know evident put on you by powers that be . I guess you could say I am the lucky one cause I don't need faith . To know as to cast doubt away for good you no longer have to pretend or wish to believe . What it is I can't tell you that . That it is I can say it is . It is big too . I am glad it likes Me . I would be seriously fucked if it didn't . Yet I would go willfully to the pit . I did . So others don't have to . Can I convey what I saw in the pit ? I try . Does anyone listen ? Yeah . Do they change ? Yeah if I can convey they certainly do . People are in progress right now . Think of it as rays of light and if it falls on but a few and they can convey what they receive with new understanding then the seed will continue to grow into a mighty plant .

Here is the Key and it is reiterated since the written word started . All in one word and the human races implementation of the word is what is lacking from the beginning. You ready for the word ? Mercy . O.K. I got a sister word too " Forgive

People don't understand there contempt for each other. When you look at fat people what goes through the mind . Is it mercy for that person or disgust? Be honest with your self . Can you see the problem with Mercy ?
    That one little thought is amplified. It reverberates ! People think there thoughts have no effect . Wrong thinking . Consider this : We know what you said in your house by the vibration on the window from you speaking . You think that fat person can't hear your thoughts by the look on your face or the way you turn away . The lack of gratification of being excepted and loved . How do people compensate for lack of love ? You ever wonder about that ? Were do they find there gratification. What is addiction all about ?

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Me Ki Gal:

You've discovered the paragraph. Another form of division. Ever notice how much of our training is focused on division and spot-the-difference?

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Opinions are not knowledge.

I think that an important reason behind all human interaction (whether on the topic of religion or anything else) is the struggle for survival. This is sometimes carried out in the form of competition, other times in the form of cooperation.

I think
    "differences in opinion are not as relevant as similarities in belief"
    is about something else than
    "to neglect similarities and exaggerate differences".

As for "differences in opinion are not as relevant as similarities in belief" I think this is about allowing for critical discussion as such, a matter of maintaining social and cultural ties, order and harmony (a matter of having beliefs in common) while also practicing critical thinking (a matter of examining differences of opinion: people who examine differences of opinion can still operate from the same beliefs that they have in common).

I think that "to neglect similarities and exaggerate differences" is a matter of not having any basic beliefs in common to begin with.

Secondly, we can observe the trend of exaggerating similarities and neglecting the differences, to the point that differences are neglected regardless how big they may be and how important the differing items may be to the parties involved.
    This is an attempt to artificially impose harmony where there is and can be none.

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

What is wrong with division? What is wrong with spotting differences?

I am I, and you are you. We are two, we are different. What's wrong with that?

17. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

So basically, most religionists are almost always spinning their wheels when discussing with another religion. Rather a waste of time.

That basically confirms my view that most in a religion are not there because they truly believe. they are there for tradition, culture and peer pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYigmGyN2RQ&feature=youtu.be

Regards
    DL

18. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

NO> Have I not been clear?! He who hath a ear.

19. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Yes, and they will all be damned before you are, ye ol serpent.

20. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I know a thing or two about forgivness, but I also know a thing or two about doing what must be done. I have disgust for any man who mistreats their body. Do not underestimate faith my friend, with it you can move a mountain, our Lord said that. The mighty plant is grown, friend.

21. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

But it doesn't necessarily want to have to step in to save our asses every single time. Like this our asses become self saving. Would that not be the smarter solution?

22. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Yet he is supposed to save our asses afterwards by having his son murdered for our sins instead of just forgiving them outright.
    Insanity.

Regards
    DL

23. gmilam Valued Senior Member

It is if your goal is to try and understand other people's opinions.