Why Christians and conservatives should accept evolution

Discussion in 'Politics' started by James R, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Theology is not science. You'd do very well to learn the difference, as they're quite important.

It's all well and good to have intelligent design taught in a theology class, or philosophy class, but it would be absurd to suggest that it should be taught in a science class, especially alongside evolution.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

That's a stretch, but I see where you're coming from. But evolution is still happening. The current theory of evolution explains the natural causes of the process of evolution — and it's still evolution if it's being unnaturally caused.

Yes. There is simply no reason to use any explanation other than the simplest one, because otherwise you start using explanations that need explaining themselves and create more questions than they answer.

If you dismiss parsimony as a fundamental element of science, then anyone can think of absolutely any explanation, from the mundane to the fantastical. That is empirically unsound.

It is certainly true that the simplest explanation isn't always the correct one, if that's what you're getting at. But until the simplest explanation is eliminated, it is scientifically valid given the current evidence.

I don't see how one can take a wrecking ball to the very foundation of science and not commit a logical fallacy or two or ten.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

In my nearly 30 years of existence I have never had a flu shot, or for that matter been hospitalized. So keep forcing the virus to mutate and some day we will have a strain that cannot be killed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation

Your assumption that this is proof of human evolution as we are force fed is merely your opinion. It only proves that we lack the ability to eradicate the flu virus or for that matter the common cold from our civilization- now tell me you or Athelwulf know everything about the billions of other organisms found on the earth.

http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/news/focuson/flu/illustrations/antigenic/antigenicshift.htm

I am not the poster boy for Intelligent Design, but do not insult our intelligence by claiming this as proof humans evolved from monkeys.

You can call me dense all you like but your intellectual capacity has not impressed me either.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Nobody claims humans evolved from monkeys.

Humans and monkeys both evolved from a common ancestor.

Time to get an education, perhaps?

8. John99 Banned Banned

oh really? maybe they have and that ancestor is supernatural er not of this earth.

I AM very educated BTW.

You guys can insult me all you like, it only shows that I am blowing holes in your little darling.

EDIT: My intention is not to wind people, be provocative or discredit research that should continue and is valuable, I am merely presenting an alternate viewpoint. This is after all a discussion forum.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  9. Thomas "God is a Dick"- Me Registered Senior Member

http://www.aip.org/png/2006/264.htm

http://www.aip.org/mgr/png/images/wolkow.jpg

go to one of these links, Atoms, real atoms, Not that you would want to see them, but, yeah they are real

10. John99 Banned Banned

Nice link Thomas.

When we can say "what more proof do you need?" then it is as proven as it's ever going to be. I dont agree with not being able to prove anything 100% percent.

11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

By cannot be killed, I assume you mean "By the immune systems under consideration"? Anyway, at least you seem to be accepting evolution now.

Actually, no. Since we have observed the flu virus mutating, and the different effects its different proteins have upon cells etc, we now know a great deal about why we dont seem to be able to eradicate it properly. And oen of these reasons is that it mutates.

I am not the poster boy for Intelligent Design, but do not insult our intelligence by claiming this as proof humans evolved from monkeys.
    [/QUOTE]
    No, the flu virus isnt proof we are related to apes, and descended from an ape like common ancestor. THis kind of thing is:
    http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/postmonth/apr05.html
    DNA matches

Skull Morphologies:
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section1.html#morphological_intermediates_ex3

Oh look, more genetics and comon descent:
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/molgen/

12. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

If you want to be really stricktly speaking, what the pictures show (And actually they are both tarted up, computer generated graphics made up from raw data) is that some energy interacted with other bits of energy. It so happens that the probabilities of one lot of energy is highly bounded, within certain spherical areas. We label them "atoms".

13. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Hmm perhaps he should have kept his mouth closed and left us all wondering whether or not he really was a fool, rather than dispelling any doubt.

You're right about one thing, though, facts and reason are useless against an individual's willingness to find any excuse to shut his brain off. You're a testament to that.

14. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

If you'd actually do some research you'd find that this is where Evolution stands today.

15. John99 Banned Banned

Mystech,

I pasted this from a link posted ^

So if we flip this-

Human:
    ( GTCATCATCC TTCTTTTTTT AGGAATTTCC TCTCTCCGTC )

Nice. As far as i can tell we (questions):

1. Get a new species?
    2. How long does it take for a sequence to even slighty change?
    3. Can we expect the human sequence to change again?
    4. Where will that leave us?

Thanks

16. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Seriously, evolution is a fact. You can believe in intelligent design if you want, I guess we'll never really know how it all started, but evolution is DEFINITELY real. I'm pretty sure even the Catholic church accepts it,which says a lot.

17. John99 Banned Banned

Your probably right

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

You're*

19. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Oniw17:

Don't be a dick.*

20. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

21. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

"waaahhh!! You said my imaginary super friend in the sky didn't create us people!!! wahhh!!"

22. John99 Banned Banned

We can use many things as a security blanket/

I guess you find my DNA questions to be simplistic, without merit or just impossible?

uh, well i did just check your profile.

Oniw, i am eliminating all traces of grammer from my posts. except for this , and this .

Mystech is on, he he- he will avoid my queries also, i am sure.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  23. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Creationists do believe in evolution, per se, we don't believe in DARWINIAN evolution. Animals do naturally select within their respective syngameons, but not beyond those respective gene pools, as Darwinists foolishly opine.

Darwinists are free to believe that goo magically morphed into you, but to teach it as science is obviously ill advised, perhaps it should be taught in a course on the History of Science, or in Folklore 101.