Why banning anyway?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by MetaKron, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gustav Banned Banned

i tend to make allowances for plazma's esl factor
    that and the fact he is a sweet fellow

but it appears the sticky and your reference necessitates a further analysis on his exposition of methodology

gah!
    how tiresome
    i could be hurling epithets at kadark instead

extracting excerpts......

"Private Message is the preferable option."

the obvious inference is that it is not the only option
    the alternative being a thread in sfog

"If supermod or admin failed to respond to your request in reasonable period of time (24 hours), then you should open thread in SF Open Government forum, with simple title 'I'm dissatisified with moderator [name]' and with explanation and links in OP.

Thread shouldn't be made without prior consultations with moderator in question or admin or supermod. Otherwise, it will be closed."

the scenario unfolds like this.......the offended party, lacks a response to his pm's. he is then counseled to open a thread in sfog only after prior approval from mods, the dialog of which, is presumed to be in the form of more pm's

this presumption is based on the fact that a thread requesting perm to open another thread is ludicrous. so are other forms of communication such as emails and phone calls

/snigger

so
    a pm'd complaint could possibly lack a response in the prescribed time frame
    a pm'd request for complaint thread could obviously then meet the same fate

and there you have it
    an instance of an alleged injustice unresolved

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

now
    tiassa

perhaps you would be more forthcoming than james when i asked for clarification...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

read carefully
    he demotes for ban poll
    conventional wisdom, pardon, dumbfucksci, thinks he was demoted for airing dirty laundry

there is no reference to the captures. it is an unwarranted extrapolation to then assume the demotion was a consequence of that particular action

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

once again,the default action should be to govern by committee.
    there should be no "final arbiter"
    reach a consensus or stall at a stalemate
    it is ok to leave shit unresolved to perhaps be picked up again at a later date rather than putting out an unfinished product

proof read your shit. check for inconsistencies. discuss amongst yourselves
    repeat

never ever emote.
    you all are on the job.
    if unfit, resign

wanna let off steam?
    treat the rest of us to a decent troll out in the public forums

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

in this instance, ignore
    the motion was made employing false and fraudulent propositions

i for one merely flirted with ombudsmen solution for a "transparent" govt.
    it was never pushed as i have at least, a semblance of faith in you mods to do the right thing.
    and you guys do.
    most of the time

that outta be good enough for any reasonable individual

as an aside......
    most of these "complainers"
    are they usually right wing fundy warmongers? despotic nazi pigs?
    chafing as usual at sci's liberal bent?

if so..........

/exults!

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(Insert title here)

In truth, as my understanding of the reason for Avatar's demotion differs from your conclusion based on other communications from our chief administrator, I can only suggest that asking Plazma directly (e.g., via private message), and explaining the point of contention about what his post meant, will provide the most direct resolution. All told, you might even be able to convince him to clarify the issue publicly.

That said, indeed it is my understanding that the banning aspect of the thread is not the reason for Avatar's demotion; furthermore, I would agree that the confusion you suggest would appear to have its roots in the subtleties of communication in the English language.

Perhaps I didn't notice it the first time around as many native English speakers around this forum make similar mistakes, the form of the mistake can be found in transcripts of pundits arguing and expounding on the news channels, and professional editors preparing a fiction manuscript for printing are known to overlook similar syntactical vagaries. In other words, I'm accustomed to the question and making certain adjustments in my perception.

9. Gustav Banned Banned

no need to
    the issue is already out in the open

oh
    post #275
    another masterpiece!

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Er ... um ....

I did see, and thank you. However, I have wondered whether I should mention that it's a different topic. That's not a problem, of course, as far as I am concerned. But I didn't want to leave you hanging.

11. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I really think that this forum would rather have a reputation for integrity that it can back up.

12. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

What James is about to permanently ban me for is for commenting on his affiliations with animal rights, which he has made painfully obvious this last 24 hours. He is claiming the poor excuse of "useless threads" but this is his way of attempting to play power politics and intimidate anyone who has a problem with animal rights activism. He did something disturbing simply to provoke me into making a response that he could use, and I think that is against the ethics that this forum should support. He had more need to actually provoke me because I was behaving with more decorum than usual.

13. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

And the behavior that is repeatedly allowed on this forum without retribution includes repeated accusations of using sock puppets and hostile comments from people who support the animal rights side of that debate. I really don't think that I have behaved badly enough to be threatened with a permanent ban. I also haven't behaved badly enough to be called down for "useless threads" and I have not been spamming the forum. This accusation is made just to justify getting rid of me.

14. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

This kind of issue has been around for a while. As I said at the beginning of this thread, the moderators are likely to start fights by insulting people and their intelligence. I've never understood why they were using Reiku as a punching bag and just throwing folderol at him to upset him. It's like bear-baiting or something.

People need to be able to call "shenanigans" on a moderator without fear of losing his posting privileges. Lord knows there is more than enough cause to make that call. What kind of game is this board anyway?

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

MetaKron:

You know nothing about any of my "affiliations", except on sciforums, so you're not in a position to comment on them.

If you assume that anybody who argues that the RSPCA may just be an animal welfare organisation and not a bunch of people-haters who prosecute innocent animal-hurters lovers for no reason must be affiliated with an animal rights organisation, you have another think coming.

Let us review MetaKron's recent threads. Click on MetaKron's name and you'll find the list of recent threads created by MetaKron.

Here are the titles, sorted into categories, from the first page of results.

Whining about moderators or being moderated

I think someone just proved my point
    Why banning anyway?
    Another unnecessary thread closing
    All those bans at once!
    What about mods who deliberately provoke people?
    What "Open Government"?
    Stryder's Little Statement
    What is wrong with the moderators?
    I think that threads objecting to thread closure are necessary
    I object to cesspooling "Equal Right to pay the Bills"
    Throwing fits and insulting people
    Perhaps we should get rid of this subforum
    Passing off rants as philosophy

Nonsense claiming that animal rights activists and the RSPCA are people-haters

Is it right to put people first?
    Split: Environmentalists don't care who they kill (Multi-page thread 1 2)

Nutty theories

Do women feel entitled because they are female?
    A solution to child rape
    High temperatures a result of global cooling?

Miscellaneous Hissy fits

Metakron is Leaving Sciforums
    I hate this place

---

MetaKron is a global warming denier. He doesn't believe the HIV virus exists. He supports pedophilia. He thinks that anybody who even considers giving rights to animals must be out to kill or hurt people.

He spends the majority of his time and posts on the forum complaining about moderators, or about how "unfair" it is that he is not allowed to spam the forum with nuttiness and or hissy fits.

Like others before him, he says he doesn't like sciforums. He claims he hates everything the forum and its administrators stand for. He continually threatens to leave. And yet, strangely, he never does.

16. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Well, people, look at James R's responses in the animal rights related threads and see what you think. I know what it looks like.

17. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Also, moderators should not troll threads trying to get a response to use as an excuse to close them. James and Asguard are getting into the personal attacks now. This is where there is a need for moderators to cool off from whatever's going on with them and reconsider.

18. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Hmmm! Time to get a life!

19. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Someone could easily compile a much worse list for James. Any time someone has power there is a reasonable expectation that that person should conduct himself with some degree of decorum. What have we actually seen here?

20. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

No.
    You invited us to look at James' recent posts to see why his knickers were in twist.
    I looked and there wasn't much to find apart from you being a juvenile prat and shit stirring for no other reason than to stir shit. Take your smelly little spoon and eat some icecream or something.
    Take a pill, take a hike, shut the fuck up or at least harden the fuck up.
    You sound like a whinging toddler...who needs a good tight slap.

21. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

And you sound like?

Anyway, you guys who want to try to make me look bad have a lot of room for improvement yourselves. Maybe you should stop wasting time worrying about what I'm saying and read a book.

22. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

I sound like I'm paying out you.
    Very different to sustained whining.

23. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Yet you know very well that I am offering well-reasoned arguments and accurate information here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.